Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

SMC PENTAX 1:3.5 18mm with haze

I was lucky enough to acquire a sample of this lens at really low cost. Now I have tested it on my K1MkII it shows heavy flare. Looking through the glass I can see the haze inside.
I suspect the haze is caused by dust/oil/whatever on the lens surfaces of the front and back lens group facing the aperture. I would feel confident to get these lens groups out if these each can be removed as one block. That would give access to the surfaces to be cleaned.

Does anybody have info on how to get these lens groups removed? Would be of great help and give me confidence to get the job done sucessfully!

Regards,

Last edited by huge10; 11-26-2020 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Error in title
11-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I expect you mean 15mm or 18mm ?

If it is fungus or balsam separation your job cleaning it may be tougher.
11-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I expect you mean 15mm or 18mm ?

If it is fungus or balsam separation your job cleaning it may be tougher.
This is my thought as well.
11-25-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's the 18mm or the 15 only a single pair of elements is listed as a group according to the tables on the forum (although the images of the lens elements imply more groups to me)

SMC Pentax 15mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax 18mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

11-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If it's the 18mm or the 15 only a single pair of elements is listed as a group according to the tables on the forum (although the images of the lens elements imply more groups to me)

SMC Pentax 15mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax 18mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Thank you. Now I see where the aperture is. Still not sure if the front and back lens groups both come in one block. That would ease the disassembly to clean internally.

---------- Post added 11-26-20 at 11:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by huge10 Quote
Thank you. Now I see where the aperture is. Still not sure if the front and back lens groups both come in one block. That would ease the disassembly to clean internally.
Oops, looked at the 15mm. In the 18mm drawing there is no aperture.
11-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Aperture isn't always clearly called out in all the lens diagrams.