Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

About Precisions "flat fee"

So as some of you may know I have a busted DA* 50-135. I originally bought it broken because the SDM ribbon cable had snapped during the original owners attempt to redo the weather sealing. This would not have been an issue for me, what is an issue however is somehow either in shipping or during my move the rear element of the lens got smashed, and that's something without a replacement part that I can't fix.

I searched for a while to find a donor lens but to no avail. Most people just don't break their DA* lenses I guess. However that leaves me with 2 options.

1. Sell it for parts and get maybe 50 bucks for it.

or

2. Send it into precision for a repair.

I know precision's flat rate is about 300 bucks, which if I'm gonna be honest for what I originally paid for the lens wouldn't be a bad deal overall and I'd end up with a basically "like new" lens in the end. What isn't certain is whether or not precision is going to up the price of the repair after getting it. Unlike me I know precision is going to completely replace the circuit board of the lens which is going to be costly, on top of the smashed element.

So what do you guys think? I'm a bit stumped.

11-26-2020, 01:25 AM   #2

I'm not certain but I think Precision will tack on cost of parts in some cases. Your lens will undoubtedly be sent to Japan for rebuilding. In normal circumstances that probably worked out to six or so weeks before getting your equipment back. Could be much longer due to the current situation.

You'll have to price out what the used market prices are and set your own criteria to decide whether to repair or replace.
11-26-2020, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can't obtain another copy of the lens at a price you are will to pay, and if lens is so essential to you that you cannot imagine its loss, repair it and be happy, no matter the final cost.

If you are repairing it only to be able to sell it, then sell it for parts as is for whatever you can get.
11-26-2020, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if itr is out of warranty, there may be other options:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
phototronic, (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

click on the above link to find open links

the question might be whether any of the above can find or make necessary parts

I have used Phototronic, he fixed a broken 150-450mm zoom for me, I suggest giving him a call and talk about it

https://phototronic.biz/

119 NE US Highway 24 STE B, Topeka, KS 66608, US

(785) 233-0231

Customer Counter Hours
Mon - Fri
12:30 pm – 06:00 pm

he is a one man shop here and is only open in the PM

good luck

11-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Others have been surprised by precision's, "flat rates" not being flat at all. Also multiple people have had da* lenses deemed not economically repairable. If be careful to get estimates from prospective repairers.
11-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very long shot, but is it possible any other Pentax lens has used the same rear element?
11-26-2020, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Precision's sight unseen estimate is not a flat rate quote and never has been. It is also not a minimum and is always subject to being overridden after actual inspection.

Sadly, it sounds like your lens is toast in more than one way and likely that most shops will simply refuse an attempt to repair based on doing so being economically unfeasible.

Steve

11-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Precision's sight unseen estimate is not a flat rate quote and never has been. It is also not a minimum and is always subject to being overridden after actual inspection.

Sadly, it sounds like your lens is toast in more than one way and likely that most shops will simply refuse an attempt to repair based on doing so being economically unfeasible.

Steve
It's upsetting because I could do this myself if I could buy the parts. The way companies treats self repair/unofficial repair is just abhorrent these days.

---------- Post added 11-26-20 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if itr is out of warranty, there may be other options:

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

click on the above link to find open links

the question might be whether any of the above can find or make necessary parts

I have used Phototronic, he fixed a broken 150-450mm zoom for me, I suggest giving him a call and talk about it

https://phototronic.biz/

119 NE US Highway 24 STE B, Topeka, KS 66608, US

(785) 233-0231

Customer Counter Hours
Mon - Fri
12:30 pm – 06:00 pm

he is a one man shop here and is only open in the PM

good luck
I could try giving him a ring, see if he somehow has the parts to complete the repair. Unfortunately I have a feeling he'd be in the same boat as me.
11-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It's upsetting because I could do this myself if I could buy the parts.
For many shops, parts come in the form of "parts only" purchase on eBay. It is your smashed rear element that complicates this situation. Buying replacement optics from Ricoh/Pentax would likely outstrip the value of the lens.

Steve
11-26-2020, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For many shops, parts come in the form of "parts only" purchase on eBay. It is your smashed rear element that complicates this situation. Buying replacement optics from Ricoh/Pentax would likely outstrip the value of the lens.

Steve
Maybe I'll just sell the lenses to one of the shops in hopes of helping someone else.

---------- Post added 11-26-20 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Very long shot, but is it possible any other Pentax lens has used the same rear element?
That'd be one tough thing to validate
11-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's upsetting because I could do this myself if I could buy the parts. The way companies treats self repair/unofficial repair is just abhorrent these days.
You can thank all the wannabe DIY repairers that royally screw up the repair, then expect the manufacturers to fix it and get mad at being declined or charging even higher prices to fix both the original and any subsequent problems.

I have nothing against people doing their own repairs, but they need to be prepared to accept the responsibility if it goes wrong.
11-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .. I could try giving him a ring, see if he somehow has the parts to complete the repair. Unfortunately I have a feeling he'd be in the same boat as me.
you never know

he loves to talk photography

perhaps he might be interested in getting the lens for parts if he cannot help out ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-26-2020 at 01:06 PM.
11-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You just gave me a gigantic mind twisting...... how possible is it for Pentax to use the same element in more lenses? I will seriously have some research to do according this. If it’s even possible to find anything
11-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Others have been surprised by precision's, "flat rates" not being flat at all. Also multiple people have had da* lenses deemed not economically repairable. If be careful to get estimates from prospective repairers.
I am wondering if you still do some to screw drive conversions on the 300 mm da*
11-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
You just gave me a gigantic mind twisting...... how possible is it for Pentax to use the same element in more lenses? I will seriously have some research to do according this. If it’s even possible to find anything
Not really knowing much about the lens making business this is probably not the case. But most manufacturers love common parts, it saves money.