Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #31

Precision to me has the feel of a "mom and pop" family run business that expanded a bit more rapidly than they could handle. The website had an in-house feel perhaps originally done by a relative or friend of the family.

12-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Precision to me has the feel of a "mom and pop" family run business that expanded a bit more rapidly than they could handle. The website had an in-house feel perhaps originally done by a relative or friend of the family.
That might be true but multiple multinational companies have signed contracts with them. You’d think they would simply hire a real web designer etc.
12-12-2020, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wish we had some other choice. You should see the Yelp reviews on Precision.
I went and had a read. The best one, by far, starts off like this:

"This is the worst place on planet earth that you can possibly send your camera for repair. You'll have better luck getting your cat to repair your camera for you than these people."

Love it!
12-12-2020, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You’d think they would simply hire a real web designer etc.
You'd think they'd hire a PR department, a camera repair technician or two or three and someone to answer their phones and someone to teach the people who answer the phones how to speak with customers.

12-13-2020, 04:12 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You'd think they'd hire a PR department, a camera repair technician or two or three and someone to answer their phones and someone to teach the people who answer the phones how to speak with customers.
I don't think they need to. As long as they are pricing warranty repairs for Pentax below what someone else would, they'll remain in their position.

When I first bought Pentax gear in the early 2000s, Pentax was doing their own repair work out of Colorado. They did an excellent job, but I'm guessing the cost of maintaining those facilities ended up killing them. I forget what company was between Pentax shutting down their own facilities and contracting with Precision, but I don't recall anyone being happy with them either.

Part of the issue is that Pentax doesn't seem to give any extra parts to Precision and so often there are delays waiting on parts to arrive from Japan or even sending lenses off to Japan for work.
12-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think they need to. As long as they are pricing warranty repairs for Pentax below what someone else would, they'll remain in their position.

When I first bought Pentax gear in the early 2000s, Pentax was doing their own repair work out of Colorado. They did an excellent job, but I'm guessing the cost of maintaining those facilities ended up killing them. I forget what company was between Pentax shutting down their own facilities and contracting with Precision, but I don't recall anyone being happy with them either.

Part of the issue is that Pentax doesn't seem to give any extra parts to Precision and so often there are delays waiting on parts to arrive from Japan or even sending lenses off to Japan for work.
And to think I was a little annoyed that there's no Pentax repair facility in New Zealand. Here, your Pentax camera flies back to Japan for repairs. It appears that Japan repair is the better option! My K-1II came back perfect.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-13-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
12-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They did an excellent job, but I'm guessing the cost of maintaining those facilities ended up killing them. I forget what company was between Pentax shutting down their own facilities and contracting with Precision, but I don't recall anyone being happy with them either.
The interim was C.R.I.S. in Arizona and yes, there were complaints with them too; mostly having to do with long turn-around times, IIRC.

Steve

12-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The interim was C.R.I.S. in Arizona and yes, there were complaints with them too; mostly having to do with long turn-around times, IIRC.
I remember the joyful glee from some detractors on the news that C.R.I.S. was being replaced by Precision. And the ensuing chaos during the transition period and general dissatisfaction with Precision's lack of status updating - along with turnaround times etc.

Quite a few people seemed unhappy with C.R.I.S. too.
12-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
My experience with CRIS wasn't great. I sent them a camera, couldn't get in touch with anyone and then suddenly their website magically turned to camera sent about six weeks after they got it. The work done was fine, but it took quite awhile and they weren't exactly easy to reach.

(I think there is a reason why professionals invest in the professional care programs for their gear. I don't think this is just isolated to Pentax.)
12-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And to think I was a little annoyed that there's no Pentax repair facility in New Zealand. Here, your Pentax camera flies back to Japan for repairs. It appears that Japan repair is the better option! My K-1II came back perfect.
As annoyed as I am with Precision’s handling of my own repair so far, and the fact that by the time I get my lens back it will have been gone for nearly 3 months, but it’s being repaired by Pentax and when I do get it back it will effectively be manufacturer refurbished.
12-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I simply wish there was a better option, but it looks like too many people are using them for warranty repairs and it sucks.
12-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I simply wish there was a better option, but it looks like too many people are using them for warranty repairs and it sucks.
It would be fantastic if we had at least two. Then they might have an incentive to compete for our warranty repairs based on reputation for service.
12-14-2020, 04:00 AM   #43
dlhawes

The persistent and fraudulent use of the phrase, "impact damage" in order to rationalize the refusal to honor their warranty obligations is precisely why Ricoh is on my "no-buy list". Whatever Precision says can be taken as a statement from Ricoh, since Precision is Ricoh's agent. Might want to check local consumer protection laws.
12-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Part of the problem is that Precision is lax about accessioning and tracking of work. A larger part of the problem with warranty work is that approval from Ricoh is VERY loosely coupled with no notion of queue on the Ricoh side and (apparently) no notion clear prompt cycle on the Precision side. It is all done with e-mail and requests can take weeks or even get lost.

Precision really needs to up their CMS and work tracking game here as well as addressing the failures on their Web site. None of it inspires confidence
That is unacceptable in 2020, for any company.

QuoteOriginally posted by eyespywithmyi Quote
seems like they implemented a better back-end system. That doesn’t solve their lack of communication and speed, but having clear details available in a self-serve way is a step in the right direction anyway.
Good news, let's hope it is indeed sign of serious improvements.
12-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
The persistent and fraudulent use of the phrase, "impact damage" in order to rationalize the refusal to honor their warranty obligations is precisely why Ricoh is on my "no-buy list". Whatever Precision says can be taken as a statement from Ricoh, since Precision is Ricoh's agent. Might want to check local consumer protection laws.
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I'll be heading out tonight with the K-1 & Irix Blackstone 11mm.
So, the K-1 your last Pentax camera then?