Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My second warranty experience with Pentax/Precision is looking like another bad one.

I sincerely hate Precision Camera. They were slow it get my new silver K1 in their system and now want to charge me almost 400 to put a couple screws in the LCD panel or 45 dollars to send it back to me unrepaired.

I tried calling them and they don't answer at all. I tried emailing Ricoh it went into a black hole. Same with their contact form.

I bought the camera on October 3rd of this year directly from the Ricoh imaging website, and it was delivered on October 7th. I found the damage less than a month after having the camera when I pulled all the way out on the flippy screen to frame a shot.

This is my second warranty issue with Pentax, the first being my DFA 150-450 that took months and getting someone from Ricoh involved because Precision tried to say it was impact damage even though there was no impact damage.

12-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #2

It has been noted many times on the forum you get better results calling the Ricoh customer service number printed on the warranty card than relying on email or the contact forum on the US website.
12-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
This is my second warranty issue with Pentax,
Are they saying that Ricoh is unwilling to honor the warranty? If so, that is hardly a problem with Precision.

Steve
12-03-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

impact damage
This has to be one of most common response from that shop from what I read in several posts/threads here.

12-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are they saying that Ricoh is unwilling to honor the warranty? If so, that is hardly a problem with Precision.

Steve
Nope, it is what Precision says. Last time I had to get Ricoh involved.
12-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax servicing

Regarding Precision Camera in the USA, I feel badly for those of you who have had bad experiences. I reside in Canada and have had excellent responses and actions by both the repair depot/agent for Canada and by Ricoh Canada. I have had several matters dealt with, both in warranty and out, of warranty and had no problems whatsoever. Issues have been dealt with in a timely manner and have solved the issues. I have three of their DLSRs and about a dozen of their lenses, plus grips and flashes.
12-03-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wish we had some other choice. You should see the Yelp reviews on Precision.

12-03-2020, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #8

When I had a broken contact on my Pentax 24-70mm lens I contacted Precision and inquired about buying the part. Nope, can't sell you a Pentax part unless they replace it for a few hundred dollars - plus shipping, plus the delays in time that the lens is in their shop and transit. This was all for a part worth a few dollars at most that takes roughly 2 minutes to replace. I contacted Pentax and some very nice guy in Canada sent me a replacement part free since Pentax won't allow them to sell parts for the cameras or lenses. This is another of the really stupid ideas on the part of Pentax Japan management. Here in the U.S. we can't buy parts and there is only one crappy place to have our equipment serviced, and it happens to be around 3000 miles from me. We have something like 3 camera repair places in the San Diego area, and none of them can repair Pentax because Pentax won't sell them repair parts. It is irksome to put it mildly.
12-03-2020, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
When I had a broken contact on my Pentax 24-70mm lens I contacted Precision and inquired about buying the part. Nope, can't sell you a Pentax part unless they replace it for a few hundred dollars - plus shipping, plus the delays in time that the lens is in their shop and transit. This was all for a part worth a few dollars at most that takes roughly 2 minutes to replace. I contacted Pentax and some very nice guy in Canada sent me a replacement part free since Pentax won't allow them to sell parts for the cameras or lenses. This is another of the really stupid ideas on the part of Pentax Japan management. Here in the U.S. we can't buy parts and there is only one crappy place to have our equipment serviced, and it happens to be around 3000 miles from me. We have something like 3 camera repair places in the San Diego area, and none of them can repair Pentax because Pentax won't sell them repair parts. It is irksome to put it mildly.
Bear in mind that Nikon and others do the same. Here is a recent thread, in the comments there are multiple confirmations that Nikon no longer makes parts available for sale to camera repair shops. Lens parts no longer available but lens made in 2018 : Nikon

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-04-2020 at 10:31 PM.
12-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bought the camera on October 3rd of this year directly from the Ricoh imaging website, and it was delivered on October 7th.
Out of curiosity, was your K-1 a factory refurb? If so, that information is pertinent in that there may have been unrepaired damage from the refurb. If detected within the first month, it could have been taken directly to Ricoh Imaging's online store.

Steve
12-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

Perhaps some supposed factory distributors cannot obtain parts because there is no parts warehouse in the Philippines, Viet Nam, or in Japan for Pentax. They seem to warehouse items with a sales catalogue number only. Back in the Day, when there was a Pentax USA, in Golden, Colorado, one could drive there with a parts diagram with reference numbers in exploded views, and get the part over their counter. I bought LX parts then direct. Since the turn of the Century it seems to be a losing proposition. Perhaps warranty work would be conducted in Canada or the UK if one had an out of the USA address for return? Bare bones backup on gear sold is never helpful as to gaining a loyal following for a gear name brand. Who else repairs Pentax in the Continental USA? Can they get parts, or are we following another propagated video concept, rather than a literal camera system reality??? Perhaps the lack of shutter block failure responsibility on non flagship cameras shows an enterprise only based on "buyer beware", rather than buyer beatitudes.
12-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by climbmountainway Quote
Perhaps some supposed factory distributors cannot obtain parts because there is no parts warehouse in the Philippines, Viet Nam, or in Japan for Pentax. They seem to warehouse items with a sales catalogue number only. Back in the Day, when there was a Pentax USA, in Golden, Colorado, one could drive there with a parts diagram with reference numbers in exploded views, and get the part over their counter. I bought LX parts then direct. Since the turn of the Century it seems to be a losing proposition. Perhaps warranty work would be conducted in Canada or the UK if one had an out of the USA address for return? Bare bones backup on gear sold is never helpful as to gaining a loyal following for a gear name brand. Who else repairs Pentax in the Continental USA? Can they get parts, or are we following another propagated video concept, rather than a literal camera system reality??? Perhaps the lack of shutter block failure responsibility on non flagship cameras shows an enterprise only based on "buyer beware", rather than buyer beatitudes.
Warranty is specifically tied to region sold from. Also this trend is wider than Pentax.
12-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Out of curiosity, was your K-1 a factory refurb? If so, that information is pertinent in that there may have been unrepaired damage from the refurb. If detected within the first month, it could have been taken directly to Ricoh Imaging's online store.

Steve
Open box special
12-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Open box special
Same thing. Your issue is with the seller. This is not a warranty problem.

Steve
12-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Same thing. Your issue is with the seller. This is not a warranty problem.

Steve
Ricoh shows that the warranty is the same as on a brand new one. They also aren't responding to emails.