Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well stated. You have suffered from a thread hijack.

Steve
Oh, I don't know about hijacking. Now, complaining about the lack of availability of the various less expensive 3rd party 150-600s in Pentax mount... that would be a thread hijack. Not that any of us would even think about doing that.

12-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Oh, I don't know about hijacking. Now, complaining about the lack of availability of the various less expensive 3rd party 150-600s in Pentax mount... that would be a thread hijack. Not that any of us would even think about doing that.
See, now we're moving in the right direction.
12-06-2020, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eyespywithmyi Quote
Guy, I dropped the lens. It sucked. It worked for a long while after, then it stopped behaving as expected. I have no idea if the impact of the drop resulted in the issue that caused me to send the lens in for repair, could it have? Of course! And I never stated I didn't think it could have caused the issue, I stated that it worked and then it randomly stopped working and that Precision called it "impact damage." I clearly stated that I let that go because it did sustain impact damage! A little "housekeeping" here: I very clearly stated all the factors upfront in the first post, I didn't obscure any part of the situation so I'm uneasy with the victim blaming. Did I cause the problem because I dropped it? MAYBE? But does that mean I should accept ... sub-optimal level of service from a business that is tasked with repairing things that don't work for whatever reason? Look, I was a retail manager for years, I am a product manager now, I talk with users and customers all week long about their experiences using the products I develop. I don't believe the customer is always right, customers can suck, you have to seek out the ones who are happy and you mostly only hear from the ones who are not happy. Do I have a right to be unhappy -- yes, I do.

I want my lens back. I want to go take pictures of small and faraway things; life is hard right now, taking pictures of things, especially little birds, makes me happy. I shared my experience in case it helps anyone else when they're trying to decide which business to trust their equipment with.
I shared my experience in case it helps anyone else when they're trying to decide which business to trust their equipment with.
Thank you! Please keep us posted. I really appreciate hearing your experience and benefitting from it. That's what this forum and community is about!
12-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
cost of repair too great - sorry, that is part of the facts of life
Curious why you think the cost of the repair is too much? I went round and round on this before deciding to have it repaired (I should add that, not having a copy of this lens is not an option for me), check my math, here:
  1. A new copy is $1997
    a. I'd prefer not to spend this much if I have another reasonable solution
  2. I originally paid $1395 from MPB, used lens, excellent condition
    a. On ebay, the most recently completed auction ended at $1495
  3. The cost to repair my own lens is $800
    a. Because Precision could not repair it themselves, they sent it to Pentax to repair. The only work Precision will be doing on it directly is receiving the package when it arrives from Pentax, slapping my address on it, and sending it back out the door to me.
  4. When I get it back I will effectively have gotten a factory refurbished lens for $800
    a. The lens will get a new housing to resolve the crack
    b.They will repair the damage that was causing the lens not to retract fully
    c.They will give it a once-over, clean it, and give it the chef's kiss (also, I assume, but am not certain, that they will also check the calibration and make any necessary adjustments)
Convince me why I made the wrong call

12-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curious why you think the cost of the repair is too much? . . .
sorry

I was speaking in general about our culture, at least where I live in the US, there are, compared to the past, no small appliance repair shops any more,

people just replace instead of fixing

at the time I wrote the post, I had no idea what your cost of repair/replacement was

only you can make that call, it isn't mine to make
12-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sorry

I was speaking in general about our culture, at least where I live in the US, there are, compared to the past, no small appliance repair shops any more,

people just replace instead of fixing

at the time I wrote the post, I had no idea what your cost of repair/replacement was

only you can make that call, it isn't mine to make
No worries, I was genuinely curious
12-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for what it is worth,

from what you said about cost of the repair of your lens

I would have gone with the repair myself

12-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Value is correct, Factory repairs will be excellent, when you love something.............

Hang up and DRIVE!