Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Precision Camera Aperture Block Failure Repair

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi All,
I have to send my out of warranty D70 to Precision Camera for an Aperture Block Failure repair. I am wondering, has anyone had this issue again after a a repair job at Precision Camera?
I hate to have it repaired there if it is going to happen again in a year or so.

Regards,
Shawn.

12-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean K-70?

There are some reports that repair centers simply replace the failed part with a similar one which in some cases has failed again. Some people recommend fixing it yourself using scavenged parts from older cameras where the solenoid is from a different manufacturer and more reliable.

Here is one thread that discusses that: Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S1 - PentaxForums.com
And another with K-70 K-70, aperture block solenoid, extended warranty, and Precision Camera - PentaxForums.com
And more: K-50 / K-500 Aperture Solenoid fix (DIY with pics) - PentaxForums.com
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
12-07-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here are other possible repair options:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

it has been reported that Mike at Phototronic ( Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair ) has a solution to the problem

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Mike at Phototronic has my D-FA 150-450 right now. Mine did the separation thing.

Mike also has a repair solution for the dreaded aperture block issue for the K-30 (and possibly other models) for a very reasonable cost. So I sent him my wife's K-30 to be repaired too. If you're interested in knowing how Mike fixes the aperture block issue (and it's not replacing the solenoid), give him a call. As his website says, he does like to talk cameras.
I suggest giving him a call

QuoteQuote:
Contact Phototronic (aka Fix Old Cameras)
Call (785.233.0231), or drop in.
Love to talk camera repair with you,

so please do contact Phototronic during customer counter hours.
https://phototronic.biz/

he is only open in the PM 12:30 - 6 M-F

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-07-2020 at 11:08 AM.
12-07-2020, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Precision will repair the K-70 to current Ricoh specification using new parts.

There are some on this site who will claim that repair will fail. I don't know that any have actually experienced such from Precision's repair for this issue. If so, someone will surely correct me. There is much disinformation on the topic. My friend's K-50 was repaired by Precision in January 2015 for aperture block failure and five years later, it still works fine.

The option for self-repair requires a replacement solenoid, fine-tipped soldering gun, steady hands, good eyesight, tweezers/forceps, and a set of JIS screwdrivers for the disassembly.

Good luck...

Steve

12-07-2020, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Good luck...

Steve
May the odds be ever in your favor
12-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The option for self-repair requires a replacement solenoid, fine-tipped soldering gun, steady hands, good eyesight, tweezers/forceps, and a set of JIS screwdrivers for the disassembly.Good luck...
Basic soldering iron with pencil tip is fine. JIS #0 screw driver (the case screws can propbably all be done with any more or less appropriately sized cross head jewellers/similar screwdriver. The two screws holding on the solenoid are best unscrewed with right sized JIS - thread locker to break)..

And don't forget you'll save yourself a wee wedge ($150 minimum?).
photogem is our resident expert on this, his repair guides are thorough and detailed. It took me less than an hour first time round. If you have a bit of methodical, practical nous, nothing to be frightened of IMO.
12-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you question the parts Precision uses a phone call to them should answer your concerns

12-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster

There are some on this site who will claim that repair will fail. I don't know that any have actually experienced such from Precision's repair for this issue. If so, someone will surely correct me. There is much disinformation on the topic. My friend's K-50 was repaired by Precision in January 2015 for aperture block failure and five years later, it still works fine.

The option for self-repair requires a replacement solenoid, fine-tipped soldering gun, steady hands, good eyesight, tweezers/forceps, and a set of JIS screwdrivers for the disassembly.

Good luck...

Steve
Thanks Steve. For some of the reasons you have listed, as well as lack of competence and patience I prefer to send it out for repair. I do have a KX that I can use as a last resort if the repair at Precision fails. I had a KS2 repaired there a year ago and so far it is ok. Then I might also be indemnified if the class action law suit bears fruit. A repair receipt from a factory authorized facility might be handy. It is really a sad commentary on the state of management at Pentax. I was about to spend $1,000 on a 15mm & 70mm Limited lenses but once my K70 failed I decided against that. For now, knowing if Precision does a credible job would be useful.
12-07-2020, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShawnH Quote
Thanks Steve. For some of the reasons you have listed, as well as lack of competence and patience I prefer to send it out for repair. I do have a KX that I can use as a last resort if the repair at Precision fails. I had a KS2 repaired there a year ago and so far it is ok. Then I might also be indemnified if the class action law suit bears fruit. A repair receipt from a factory authorized facility might be handy. It is really a sad commentary on the state of management at Pentax. I was about to spend $1,000 on a 15mm & 70mm Limited lenses but once my K70 failed I decided against that. For now, knowing if Precision does a credible job would be useful.
Before sending to Precision, I'd recommend calling Phototronic first and talking to Mike about your aperture block issue and see if he works on that model. I'm not going to tell you how much he charges, not my place, but let me just say his repair cost was reasonable enough that I decided it was worth the money to repair my eight year old K-30. With my experience of what Precision charges for an item out of warranty, I wouldn't even consider the repair the item. I'll leave it at that.
12-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike @phototronic did a great job repairing a separated D FA 150-450mm zoom

and I was very happy with the cost of the repair and how it has held up

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-07-2020 at 06:24 PM.
12-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #11

If it is under warranty I would send it to Precision. If you send it to an Authorized Repair Service like Advance Camera they won't touch it because they don't to warranty repair - they'll just ship it to Precision or back to you. It may not fail again. People have had their K-30/50/KS-1/2 serviced by Precision (and other Authorized Repair services) and not had repeat failures.

Maybe you can get them to give you the old parts and if they replace the non-existent "chip" we can see what it is.

If out of warranty you can try contacting Ricoh via the toll-free number on the warranty card. They have been known to cover the aperture repair outside of warranty.

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-07-2020 at 06:27 PM.
12-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
With my experience of what Precision charges for an item out of warranty, I wouldn't even consider the repair the item. I'll leave it at that.
The last I heard, Precision was charging $150 USD for the aperture block repair.

Steve
12-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I repaired a k50 myself. Not really difficult. Most critical part was keeping up where all the different screws go.
12-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
The last I heard, Precision was charging $150 USD for the aperture block repair.

Steve
Precision charged $240 for my KS2. That was the fixed cost amount.

---------- Post added 12-07-20 at 11:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I repaired a k50 myself. Not really difficult. Most critical part was keeping up where all the different screws go.
I' have to spend time taking the solenoid out of KX and sacrifice that camera too. KX is now my black and white camera and is love with an HD 40mm limited. I just cannot break'em apart.
01-21-2021, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, but not new parts "made in Japan" but again "made in China".
The K-70 already has got a better solenoid as I have explained in all detail here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
Since that modificiation the solenoid has failed far less, nevertheless it does occasionally fail.

Nobody on this site can claim that a repair will fail!

It can fail though:
I have experienced at least 4 repairs of official Pentax repair places in Europe (not the K70 but K30 and K50's) going wrong when the warranty of 1 year had elapsed.

Yes, although PH 00 + 000 screwdrivers can help, nevertheless JIS are superior and recommended.
A set of good JIS screwdrivers can be found for around $ 15+/- (and they last for a long time, could even be sold again)
VESSEL microdriver NO. 9902 4907587010322 | eBay
The solenoid costs $ 45 (free shipping within USA):
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay
I have found pencil-soldering-irons incl. free shipping for $ 5 in USA

With some luck one finds a defunct Pentax ist* or early K-model with 2 solenoids for less, can sell one solenoid and thus compensate the costs.

So moneywise not much risk.
If not equipped with 2 left hands the repair is not really difficult.

Plenty users have reported successful DIY repair.
I can recall just 1 repair going wrong:
He had used a
which is a very bad idea.
You melt everything around.

So as long as there is warranty, no question, that's the way to go.
But outside of warranty with some courage and equipment with one can sell again:

Almost free repair and lasting forever.

The good thing about it:
Failure rate of Pentax bodies built after December 2015 (when they introduced a better modified China solenoid) is now within the usual 2% failure-rate altogether (that's what I know from dealers).

But failure is of course not only the solenoid but sometimes other parts as well.

Let's suppose the solenoid would be 50% of all failures: Actually owners are then much better off than CANIKONSOFU-owners because in their cases no DIY repair is possible!