Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Program A - Focussing screen screws

Does anyone know what screwdriver I need for the tiny screws retaining the focussing screen on the Program A?
It came attached to a 50mm I wanted.
It was prety dirty but still works, light seals swapped but I really cannot tolerate the detritus I think/hope is on the focussing screen.

I know it's usually best to leave alone (I have learnt that lesson the hard way) but it is truly horrible and I cannot possibly make it worse by attempting to clean it!

12-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p706 Quote
Does anyone know what screwdriver I need for the tiny screws retaining the focussing screen on the Program A?
It came attached to a 50mm I wanted.
It was prety dirty but still works, light seals swapped but I really cannot tolerate the detritus I think/hope is on the focussing screen.

I know it's usually best to leave alone (I have learnt that lesson the hard way) but it is truly horrible and I cannot possibly make it worse by attempting to clean it!
You will want to have JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers. They look a lot like Phillips, put Phillips may destroy the screw heads. Chances are you will need to order online, the set i have is made by Moody with sizes of 000, 00, 0, and 1, I know there are others too. Most sets come with at least 4 sizes, so one should fit your screws.
12-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

As far as i know you don't need screwdrivers to take out the focusing screen. It has a retaining frame which clicks in place holding the focusing screen. in the middle of the outer edge there should be a releasing tab for it. you just need something to act as a lever to release it.
12-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't mess with the straight blade screws that you see when you remove the lens. Those are for adjusting the focusing screen. The other screws you see are JIS cross point screws.

12-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll take a look at the JIS.
I have a 000 Draper but assume that's Phillips, it certainly doesn't fit properly.

Are Vessel ok? I see a set with a 0000 and think that may be the size I need.

@pentaxus Thanks I am looking at the cross points but I know now what to avoid!
12-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p706 Quote
The screws are for adjustment only.* The screen is replaced from above. See service manual and parts list references for Super Program (same layout) at the link below:

Pentax Manuals | Service Manuals

Steve

* Added: Unless you are set up to do the adjustment (requires a ground-glass or focus screen set at the focus plane or similar), it is best to not touch those screws.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-14-2020 at 01:28 PM.
12-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

If the body doesn't feature interchangeable screens the screen is usually removed by taking off the prism. See the service manual linked above.