Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax not selling parts to vendors now?

I'm a bit frustrated. First I drop my K1 with the DFA 70-200 2.8 attached to it. But, looks like only damage is that the mount sheared off. I called KEH and they said they could repair it. 4 weeks later, they tell me they can't get the parts (Pentax will not sell them the parts) and sent it back. Not happy with KEH. I called them just to make sure. And this is not under warranty.

Anywhoo... I came here to find out where I could send it. After reading a bunch of posts, not finding any choices, really dreading sending this to Precision. Can someone tell me if there is an alternative? Or, do I not have a choice? And is there a secret back channel I could access with them to avoid more months without my lens?

Thanks.

Last edited by MyTZuS; 12-18-2020 at 11:38 AM.
12-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The headline is making me dizzy looking for the part where Pentax isn’t selling to vendors.
What part can’t be had? Body casting?

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-18-2020, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, it appears that they are working to drive people to the only authorized repair center, Precision Camera, whom I assume can get parts. I was hunting around for a gearset to fix one of my Limited lenses and yeah, no dice per any of the repair shops other than Precision.
12-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Pentax not selling parts to vendors now?
FWIW...there are parts even Precision can't get and for which they have to send the broken item to Japan for the actual repair. Usually, this happens with damage to major structural elements.

Out of curiosity, which was sent to KEH, the camera or the lens? Both likely sustained damage.

Steve

12-18-2020, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And is there a secret back channel I could access with them to avoid more months without my lens?
You could send it to another shop (e.g. Phototronic or Advance) who would then send it on to Precision because of the nature of the repair. This is a time-honored and established practice with camera repair. Anecdotal information on this site indicates that Precision is more attendant to their commercial accounts.

Steve
12-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You could send it to another shop (e.g. Phototronic or Advance) who would then send it on to Precision because of the nature of the repair. This is a time-honored and established practice with camera repair. Anecdotal information on this site indicates that Precision is more attendant to their commercial accounts.

Steve
I sent in the lens with all the parts and screws (that I could find, even the sheared off screws, it was like someone took a high speed saw to it, very clean cut). I've been shooting with the K1 with no issues. So I will google your suggestions and go that route. Thank you.
12-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I sent in the lens with all the parts and screws (that I could find, even the sheared off screws, it was like someone took a high speed saw to it, very clean cut). I've been shooting with the K1 with no issues. So I will google your suggestions and go that route. Thank you.
With structural damage to the lens...this is likely to be a hard road.

Steve

12-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As a former lens tech, good hunting!
When a mount is sheared off due to impact, many times you also get barrel distortion, which makes the lens near impossible to unscrew the barrel / retainers for normal disassembly, at that point the manufacturer is usually the only place willing to touch it.

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, I had that happen about a month ago. Fortunately, it was a crap lens, Pentax F 28-90, the plastic, craptastic silver version with a plastic mount. Thankfully, the camera body suffered no damage. I figure the lens acted sort of like a crumple zone on a car and absorbed most of the energy of the impact. I'm just writing the lens off.
01-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just recently received my KP with a broken mode dial back from KEH because they could not get parts. It would be nice if they just said on the website that they don't service current Pentax products. So I paid for shipping and was without the camera for over month for nothing. I will say they did communicate. I took it out and used it the last two nights (Av mode only) deciding what to do. I hate sending it into precision with their fee structure. I feel it's not likely to less that their standard estimate so $400 (including my shipping to them) right away and they will most likely add parts, which sounds like the replace the top of the camera. And a new KP can be had for $700.
01-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #11

FWIW: Past posters have said Advance cameras prices are lower than Precision's even when the equipment was sent to Precision for the actual repair.
01-31-2021, 03:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I just recently received my KP with a broken mode dial back from KEH because they could not get parts.
Is the mode-dial:
1. actually broken

or

2. just not functioning proberly?

If 2. then you could try to clean it. Disassembly of a KP is pretty much the same as the K5.
01-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Is the mode-dial:
1. actually broken

or

2. just not functioning proberly?

If 2. then you could try to clean it. Disassembly of a KP is pretty much the same as the K5.
Broken, I'm pretty sure I twisted it without having the release all the way pressed. Now you push the release it spins, it's physically broken.
02-01-2021, 02:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Broken, I'm pretty sure I twisted it without having the release all the way pressed. Now you push the release it spins, it's physically broken.
o.k.... that's too bad.

Sadly it is different to the ones in the K5 or K3.
I had opened and repaired once that one of a K10D but this one has not that release/fix switch attached to it so it will be different.
There it was only a tiny bearing-ball which made the problem.
Could well be the same problem here but more complex.
Good luck!
02-01-2021, 07:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm just guessing but with KEH maybe they are hoping for a donor device to show up, maybe with some reasonable expectation that it will, or not. I suspect they know they can't buy new parts from Ricoh so they wouldn't be counting on that when they say they believe they can do a repair.