Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FA 31mm focus jammed

I was taking photos with my FA 31mm the other night and the autofocus sent it all the way to minimum and it locked up. The manual focus ring can only move a small bit in either direction and the screw on the mount will turn with some resistance.

I don't want to have to try to take it apart myself seeing as how expensive this lens is, but I'm in Canada and Sun Camera just got back to me saying they won't fix it.

Any advice on how I can reasonably fix it myself or somewhere I can send it to? I would put my technical skills at moderate, but doing this myself makes me nervous.

I'm really gutted about this. Any help is much appreciated.

12-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here are some possible businesses

QuoteQuote:
Canada
PhotoTec Services, St John's, Newfoundland (Vintage cameras and lenses)
Service Camera Pro (Film and digital, Quebec)
Sun Camera Service, Ontario (Authorized to perform warranty service) [PDF repair form] [Info from Ricoh Imaging]
Zone 7 (Quebec)
VanCam (Vancouver)
Computech Camera Repair (Winnipeg)
Camera Repair Centre
Camera Repair Centre (Nova Scotia)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

follow link to find active links
12-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Please deal with it gently because there are some parts jammed inside and need to be opened by someone who has sufficient experience
12-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
here are some possible businesses

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

follow link to find active links
Thanks aslyfox, that's super useful. I appreciate it and I'll follow those leads!

---------- Post added 12-21-2020 at 04:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by laith Quote
Please deal with it gently because there are some parts jammed inside and need to be opened by someone who has sufficient experience
Indeed. I think I could do it as a last resort, but I'd much rather leave it up to a professional.

12-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Service Camera Pro
I dealt with those people a few years: service rendered as expected.
I don't know if they are still in business though, looks like they are from what I could see on their website.
I actually drove from Riv.-du-Loup to Québec (city) to bring my gear there.
The turnaround was about 2 weeks for a K5/DA*300/4 "fine tuning" and cleaning.

---------- Post added 12-21-20 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
I was taking photos with my FA 31mm the other night and the autofocus sent it all the way to minimum and it locked up. The manual focus ring can only move a small bit in either direction and the screw on the mount will turn with some resistance.

I don't want to have to try to take it apart myself seeing as how expensive this lens is, but I'm in Canada and Sun Camera just got back to me saying they won't fix it.

Any advice on how I can reasonably fix it myself or somewhere I can send it to? I would put my technical skills at moderate, but doing this myself makes me nervous.

I'm really gutted about this. Any help is much appreciated.
See post no. 5
12-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I dealt with those people a few years: service rendered as expected.
I don't know if they are still in business though, looks like they are from what I could see on their website.
I actually drove from Riv.-du-Loup to Québec (city) to bring my gear there.
The turnaround was about 2 weeks for a K5/DA*300/4 "fine tuning" and cleaning.

---------- Post added 12-21-20 at 05:37 PM ----------

See post no. 5
Thanks! I'll contact them also.
12-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it could help out others if you let us know how it turns out

good luck

01-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other option is NSB Tekunos in the Tokyo outskirts www.nsb-tekunos.com. I am preparing to send an SMC FA 77mm Limited to them to fix a likely very similar issue with a hang-up in the autofocus gears. They quoted me ¥15,000 for the service plus shipping... or a bit under half of Precision's flat rate.

Last edited by zzaletel; 01-06-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Fixed hyperlink
01-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is Eric Hendrickson still repairing Pentax lenses? He repaired my FA 31 that wouldn’t focus after I dropped it a few years ago. Try his email: pentaxrepairs@aol.com. He’ s in Tennessee. Can’t find the receipt but it was very reasonable & it was back in three weeks or so. Its worked fine ever since. Good luck.
01-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He is still repairing them. Said he couldn't get parts for the FA77 from Pentax when I inquired in early December.
01-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

General update on NSB Tekunos repair

Sent the lens via USPS on 1/6. Was delivered on 1/15. Had an email from Mr. Toshiyuki the same day with a summary of the initial inspection and confirmation of the initial quote. Lens will be disassembled, cleaned, and the AF gabloc assembly will be replaced. All told will be about $200 with shipping both ways. Will update with final outcome.
04-01-2021, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone is still interested in my broken lens, but here's an update.

So as suggested by jpzk, I sent it into Service Caméra Pro in Quebec City. The owner is a very nice guy. It turns out that there's a broken gear in the AF mechanism and he can't find any replacement parts for it. So the only option is to take out the gear so that it still functions manually. I'm glad that at least he is very reasonably priced. He's only charging me $60 + tax and shipping.

I am pretty gutted about the lens though. Welp, maybe I'll mount it onto one of my film bodies and pretend I'm young again.
04-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s a standard metric gear - if they sent the af block back after the disassembly, you should be able to purchase the appropriate gear and be back in business for not too much more cost.
04-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
It’s a standard metric gear - if they sent the af block back after the disassembly, you should be able to purchase the appropriate gear and be back in business for not too much more cost.
I understand, but I really don't feel confident about doing the work myself. I'll keep this information in mind though. Thanks for the advice.