Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Disappointing. I bought a Sigma 150-500 lens a number of years ago. Good lens, like it, have 10 year warranty from Gentec. Still have some years left on that warranty.

Caveat Emptor....which also includes me. Glad I stuck generally with just getting Pentax lenses. Was considering some years back, getting more Sigma lenses. Glad I resisted and got Pentax.

When I got that Sigma 150-500 I had broken a long held practice to just get lenses, made by the camera equipment, as back in the early '70's I had had issues buying third party lenses. There is a lesson there somewhere.

01-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
since the product has been discontinued for over 10 years
Which is indication of just how good Sigma has been in regards to the mount clearance issue. They have been more than fair in providing both the re-flash and mount replacement.

Steve
01-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
But you got your copy new for $900 AND with the 8-16 firmware from the factory! I must have drawn the short straw!
The lens id problem was not universal and was corrected in later production.

Steve
01-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lens id problem was not universal and was corrected in later production.

Steve
Good to know. I wish I could have gotten one of those copies.
I wonder if there is a way to check to see which models are affected and which are not from the serial number of the lens for others who may want to buy this lens in the future?

My lens' serial number is 1034806 and it is unusable on any of the Pentax cameras made post 2016 (that I have been able to test thus far) and unrepairable / non-updateable.

01-29-2021, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
unrepairable / non-updateable
It might be worth checking with Sigma repair in the US to see if they have inventory of the chips they might share with Gentec or even Sigma Japan.

Steve
01-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It might be worth checking with Sigma repair in the US to see if they have inventory of the chips they might share with Gentec or even Sigma Japan.

Steve
I haven't checked in the US. But, after reaching out to a Sigma rep through my local camera shop, I was informed that there aren't any parts left from Sigma Japan to get.