Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma No Longer Offering Firmware Updates for Some K-mount Lenses

Hi all,

I just thought I'd share my recent experience with trying to get my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II lens serviced at Gentec, the Sigma service centre for Canada.

I've used Gentec previously when I got my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 firmware updated, roughly three years ago. At that time, service was prompt and the whole process took around 2 weeks from start to finish. Great!
This time around, however, while trying to get my 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II lens' firmware updated and the lens mount replaced, things did not go as well.

The whole processes took seven months and the lens did not get it's firmware updated nor its lens mount replaced.
Gentec was unable to source parts for the replacement K mount plate (the one with the narrower bevelled edge which won't scratch the camera's paint).This, by itself, is not the end of the world since the lens still mounts.
The bigger issue is that Gentec claims that they are no longer able to update the firmware on this lens. Instead of flashing new firmware, they replaced the 'chip' with another they had in stock; however, this new chip still had the old firmware. (EXIF Data still reads as Sigma lens "8 255" not the newer "8 16").
Apparently, replacing the chipset was how this specific lens got its firmware updates in the past. Since these parts are no longer being manufactured, firmware updates are no longer offered. As I now only own cameras made post 2016, this lens is more or less a paperweight.

This seems to be rather lousy service from Sigma for a $2000+ lens (Canadian dollars) that, for my copy at least, is only ten years old and carried a 7 year warranty.

While your mileage may vary, it may be worth considering the following when purchasing Sigma products for Pentax in the future; they may come with a rather short shelf life.

All the best!
-Gerb

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 01-28-2021 at 09:04 PM.
01-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I better keep my k5 ii a bit longer then
01-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And the 35mm Art f/1.4 firmware is no longer available for the K-mount version.
01-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
And the 35mm Art f/1.4 firmware is no longer available for the K-mount version.
Explain...has any firmware update been offered to correct faults/issues with Pentax-K on the 35mm Art at any point? On the other hand the 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C) in Pentax-K had an update to v1.0.1 in 2015 that is still available today.

Steve

01-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On the other hand the 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C) in Pentax-K had an update to v1.0.1 in 2015 that is still available today.
I wonder if this is still the case. When I reached out to my Sigma service centre about getting the firmware update done on my lens, they assured me that it could be done. Having read about other Pentax users positive experiences getting the lens updated, I took these assurances from Sigma's representatives at face value. The update certainly had been able to be completed in the past, but as it turns out, that is no longer the case for my lens.
01-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
This seems to be rather lousy service from Sigma for a $2000+ lens (Canadian dollars) that, for my copy at least, is only ten years old and carried a 7 year warranty.
So the K-1 fix is no longer available? That is a shame, particularly since the prices on that quite excellent lens have made it much more available as of late.

Steve
01-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Explain...has any firmware update been offered to correct faults/issues with Pentax-K on the 35mm Art at any point? On the other hand the 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C) in Pentax-K had an update to v1.0.1 in 2015 that is still available today.

Steve
All other mounts have had multiple updates for that lens. It would seem odd if K-mount was the only one not requiring any. Most of these updates are tweaks associated with new releases. There have been several Pentax cameras released since the 35mm Art, including the K1. I doubt Sigma are now checking new Pentax cameras to see whether they are optimally compliant.

01-28-2021, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wonder if this is still the case.
I don't have the Dock or the software to do the download, but the listing is still at:

Firmware | Lenses | Download | SIGMA Corporation

I have been meaning to do the update on mine for several years as well as fine tune using the Dock.

Steve
01-28-2021, 09:32 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
All other mounts have had multiple updates for that lens. It would seem odd if K-mount was the only one not requiring any. Most of these updates are tweaks associated with new releases. There have been several Pentax cameras released since the 35mm Art, including the K1. I doubt Sigma are now checking new Pentax cameras to see whether they are optimally compliant.
I doubt there is a need for optimal compliance. I don't know that much has changed in Pentax KAF2 protocols since the Sigma 35mm Art was released in 2012. Remember...the lens does not "know" what camera it is attached to; it simply follows commands.

Steve
01-29-2021, 05:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Yup, found that out a few months ago when I bought that Sigma lens to go with my K1 ll. Every time I tried to use the lens it would freeze my camera. I found out when the K1's ist came out you could send the lens to Sigma and they would do a firmware update. So I called them and was told the same thing they no longer update them. So if one had a lens updated a few years ago then they work fine. I ponied up and bought a Pentax 70-200 2.8. The rest of my Sigma's work fine with it .
01-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
So the K-1 fix is no longer available? That is a shame, particularly since the prices on that quite excellent lens have made it much more available as of late.

Steve
This is a shame. Their service has been nothing short of excellent. I had a 70-200 and 150-500 updated last year with mount and firmware. Recently acquired a 50 1.4 I was going to send in. Going to give Gentec a shout.
01-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Explain...has any firmware update been offered to correct faults/issues with Pentax-K on the 35mm Art at any point?

Steve
No it has not AFAIK. Apparently it was the only one of the mounts they got perfect to begin with.
01-29-2021, 07:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems to be rather lousy service from Sigma for a $2000+ lens (Canadian dollars) that, for my copy at least, is only ten years old and carried a 7 year warranty.While your mileage may vary, it may be worth considering the following when purchasing Sigma products for Pentax in the future; they may come with a rather short shelf life.
That's unfortunate, indeed. Gentec probably did all they could to try to accommodate your request. I guess that at some point, the spare parts dried up. The lens was introduced in 2007, I believe, and was discontinued in the 2010 timeframe with the introduction of the 70-200 HSM OS version.

As a point of reference, I also have a Sigma 70-200 HSM II, which I bought in November 2011 (from Henry's) for CAD $899. I have not had its firmware updated or the mount replaced, but the lens reports a Lens ID of '8 16', and the correct lens model appears unambiguously in the EXIF/Makernotes data. I use a K-3 II.

- Craig
01-29-2021, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Hence the acronym SIG-nificant MA-lfunction.
To be fair, under consumer law, they no longer are required to be able to supply parts or service since the product has been discontinued for over 10 years.
01-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
That's unfortunate, indeed. Gentec probably did all they could to try to accommodate your request. I guess that at some point, the spare parts dried up. The lens was introduced in 2007, I believe, and was discontinued in the 2010 timeframe with the introduction of the 70-200 HSM OS version.

As a point of reference, I also have a Sigma 70-200 HSM II, which I bought in November 2011 (from Henry's) for CAD $899. I have not had its firmware updated or the mount replaced, but the lens reports a Lens ID of '8 16', and the correct lens model appears unambiguously in the EXIF/Makernotes data. I use a K-3 II.

- Craig
Gentec did certainly try their best. From July last year to mid January 2021, I have a list of around 7 correspondences between Gentec and myself. Though, I think it's worth pointing out that the first time they sent it back to me, they had removed the mounting plate from the lens and they hadn't bothered to put it back on. The box they sent me had a handful of loose pieces wrapped up in bubble wrap. (Ie: Plate, baffle, a few screws)

But you got your copy new for $900 AND with the 8-16 firmware from the factory! I must have drawn the short straw!