Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dilemma

I just recently received my KP with a broken mode dial back from KEH because they could not get parts. It has a broken mode dial, which I'm pretty sure I caused. I can still use it in Tv mode only. I have taken it out and short with it the last two days. Shooting in just Tv can be done, but it's not very efficient for things like landscapes.

I hate sending it into precision with their fee structure. I feel it's not likely to less that their standard estimate so $400 (including my shipping to them) right away and they will most likely add parts, which sounds like the replace the top of the camera. Depreciation on the KP with over 20,000 actuations would make it worth less than the repair. And now a new KP can be had for $700 plus tax.

I'm really leaning toward buying a new one. That was not in my plans, but neither was an expensive repair. I could keep the old one for shooting with the DA 300 which I use in Tv a lot., sell it for peanuts. I could also sell my K-50, but realistically I would not be worth selling. Decisions?

01-28-2021, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like a new KP and keep the old one makes sense. Worst case if the new one breaks you have parts for the old one, or vice versa.
01-28-2021, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what a prospect; buying a new camera to break so that you can repair the old one.
01-28-2021, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I know what I would do, but that's just me! US Pentax Deal Roundup - Week of January 25th, 2021 - PentaxForums.com

01-29-2021, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

In your shoes, I would buy a new KP. Your remaining one can still be used in Tv mode and you will have parts in case in case you have a new problem with camera. And I would try to sell the K-50, without letting it go for a too low price.
01-29-2021, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple short answer is $$, repair vs new or used (including warranty). A longer answer (one that is bothering me), "What do I need?"
01-29-2021, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about looking at dealers to see if they have a used one. You could save $200. I got mine for £540 ($740) when new was £900. Mine had 280 actuations. You still get warranty and could get a battery grip or 40mm limited with the extra cash
01-29-2021, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would sell the old one at a discount and buy a new one.

01-29-2021, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar decision to make when my KP rear screen would go dark when i flipped it. It now is permanently attached to my 150-450 because i don't use the flippy screen for that.
and i bought a new one for everything else.
01-30-2021, 07:54 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I had a similar decision to make when my KP rear screen would go dark when i flipped it. It now is permanently attached to my 150-450 because i don't use the flippy screen for that.
and i bought a new one for everything else.
I just made a very similar decision yesterday and ordered a new KP. Itís only ďsimilar ď because I donít have the 150-450, mine will be used with the 1.4 converter and DA 300, or maybe the PLM at the beaches. I will see if I can get anything out of my K-50, and maybe a lens that I donít use much. I bought the deal with the flash, that kind of hard to pass up even if I donít need the flash. I rarely use a flash and already have a little
Pentax AF200FG and a Yongnuo YN-560-IV.
I may have bought the silver if it wasnít on backorder, but I did not care to wait, plus a little concern that the silver could reflect sunlight and thus scare birds or animals.
5 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I just made a very similar decision yesterday and ordered a new KP. Itís only ďsimilar ď because I donít have the 150-450, mine will be used with the 1.4 converter and DA 300, or maybe the PLM at the beaches. I will see if I can get anything out of my K-50, and maybe a lens that I donít use much. I bought the deal with the flash, that kind of hard to pass up even if I donít need the flash. I rarely use a flash and already have a little
Pentax AF200FG and a Yongnuo YN-560-IV.
I may have bought the silver if it wasnít on backorder, but I did not care to wait, plus a little concern that the silver could reflect sunlight and thus scare birds or animals.
FWIW I just saw this as I've been under the weather. Congratulations! The silver is more of a buff silver plastic, so it's not that reflective.
5 Days Ago   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
FWIW I just saw this as I've been under the weather. Congratulations! The silver is more of a buff silver plastic, so it's not that reflective.
Thanks for that info Bill, good for future reference. I actually got the new one and had to send it back for a faulty autofocus, awaiting the replacement now.