Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #1

Worth Sending in K50 for new shutter?

My K50 died a while back -- I think the shutter just wore out (it was at nearly 200K shutter count). Is it worth sending it in to fix? What is the cost of a new shutter? Because I could probably replace the camera for $300. I do have other bodies so I don't need it fixed but I hate to just discard it after its years of service. Thoughts? experiences?

01-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AshleytheIslander Quote
My K50 died a while back -- I think the shutter just wore out (it was at nearly 200K shutter count). Is it worth sending it in to fix? What is the cost of a new shutter? Because I could probably replace the camera for $300. I do have other bodies so I don't need it fixed but I hate to just discard it after its years of service. Thoughts? experiences?

unless it's under warranty, no....
01-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At 200k I would let it off for time served! Better to put your money towards a K3-iii..!
01-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AshleytheIslander Quote
Getting that shutter fixed would probably cost as much as a new k-70, or even KP. 200K is pretty amazing! It could make a nice shelf ornament since you obviously loved it, or possibly sold for parts.

01-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Impressive. RIP.
01-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd get a new body instead.
01-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I recall the solenoid that causes Yule aperture problem is also involved in the shutter. If you are a diy guy you can try replacing that but with 200k exposures you probably can’t count on that to fix it.

01-30-2021, 10:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You could always do this:
Does anyone know what time it is? - PentaxForums.com
01-31-2021, 01:43 AM   #9

Nah. Here's one ships from Amazon with 12K on the shutter for $240 USD. 30 Day Amazon Return Policy.

amazon.com : Pentax K-50 16MP Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD - Body Only (Black)?tag=pentaxforums-20&
01-31-2021, 02:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I knew it wouldn't be worth the repair. I'll try to come up with a creative way to honour its years of service instead. I have already replaced it (as soon as it died) with a K3 and my next purchase will be a K1
01-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As I recall the solenoid that causes Yule aperture problem is also involved in the shutter. If you are a diy guy you can try replacing that but with 200k exposures you probably can’t count on that to fix it.
1. Replacing the solenoid is more or less peanuts.
2. Replacing the diaphragm-control-unit is hours of much more complex work
3. Reclacing the shutter requires a complet disassembly of the K50: #2 is almost peanuts compared to this.

When Ricoh had the early K5's returned for the sensor-stain, they often just replaced the complete body.
Changing the sensor is peanuts compared to #3 although very exact adjustments are necessery

@AshleytheIslander: No, not worth it at all! Even with 10-15k shuttercount not worth it. The costs would be way way to high.
Save the money, if you need the PLM facility, get a K70 or KP, if not, then a used K5II or IIs is a great body and cheap these days.
Very reliable.
01-31-2021, 03:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
1. Replacing the solenoid is more or less peanuts.
2. Replacing the diaphragm-control-unit is hours of much more complex work
3. Reclacing the shutter requires a complet disassembly of the K50: #2 is almost peanuts compared to this.

When Ricoh had the early K5's returned for the sensor-stain, they often just replaced the complete body.
Changing the sensor is peanuts compared to #3 although very exact adjustments are necessery

@AshleytheIslander: No, not worth it at all! Even with 10-15k shuttercount not worth it. The costs would be way way to high.
Save the money, if you need the PLM facility, get a K70 or KP, if not, then a used K5II or IIs is a great body and cheap these days.
Very reliable.
I understand that changing the shutter isn’t worth it. I also know solenoid failure can cause shutter to not fire in some cases. I didn’t know if it was likely and with taking the effort to try it.

I too think buying another body makes more sense than repairing unless solenoid repair can fix. But with 200k exposures I’d think even if it helped the rest of the shutter mechanism (which might already be dead) might die rapidly after.