Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
Closed Account

What lens repair shops do you recommend in the U.S.

My favorite lens is the Asahi Pentax M 100mm Macro 1:4

My first copy, I bought for $20 because it had lens separation. I used it for years, without any noticeable affect on images.
I decided to treat myself with a better copy, and bought one on eBay from someone that was selling it from his father's collection (for $129). He did as close as an inspection as he could, and said he couldn't find any problems with the lens - even sent me pics with a flashlight shown through it, and it looked good.

After receiving it, the lens itself looks new; however, upon closer inspection, it does have slight balsam separation/thin fog on the front of the lens.

This lens is hit or miss if you can get a copy without lens separation, I have read.

Rather than continuing to play the game of buying copies of the lens and selling it, I'd like to explore getting this copy cleaned up, if possible, even if it cost more than the lens - but do comment on about how much you think it might/should cost.

What shops, in the U.S., can members recommend?

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-06-2021 at 11:09 AM.
02-06-2021, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is a list, follow link to find active links:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I have used Phototronic here in Topeka KS and I recommend contacting him

https://phototronic.biz/
02-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I have the same lens and I just discovered this same problem. I just purchased all the chemicals and tools I need to attempt a repair. Will post here if I succeed.
02-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ProPhoto in Washington, DC Onsite repair ...

2000 Pennsylvania Ave NW. Washington, DC 20006
Telephone: 202-223-1292
Email: prophotodcinfo@gmail.com

02-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SamirShah Quote
I have the same lens and I just discovered this same problem. I just purchased all the chemicals and tools I need to attempt a repair. Will post here if I succeed.
I contacted 6 of the repair shops that "aslyfox" recommended, I got back 3 replies. I was told in one that it couldn't be fixed without replacing the lens (element) itself - I don't know if this is true or not. The other replies said they didn't work on lens.

This particular lens, I'm told, is highly susceptible to lens separation. I've had 2 copies and both had it. Another user told me that all 3 copies that went through his hands had it.

If anyone knows of a shop that can actually do this repair, do tell.

If you are able to fix yours, I'd pay you to fix mine.

Regards

---------- Post added 02-08-21 at 07:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
ProPhoto in Washington, DC Onsite repair ...

2000 Pennsylvania Ave NW. Washington, DC 20006
Telephone: 202-223-1292
Email: prophotodcinfo@gmail.com
I'll contact them. Thanks.
02-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I contacted 6 of the repair shops that "aslyfox" recommended, I got back 3 replies. . . .
technically I just recommended Phototronic and just listed the others

good luck on the project
02-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I contacted 6 of the repair shops that "aslyfox" recommended, I got back 3 replies. I was told in one that it couldn't be fixed without replacing the lens (element) itself - I don't know if this is true or not. The other replies said they didn't work on lens.

This particular lens, I'm told, is highly susceptible to lens separation. I've had 2 copies and both had it. Another user told me that all 3 copies that went through his hands had it.

If anyone knows of a shop that can actually do this repair, do tell.

If you are able to fix yours, I'd pay you to fix mine.

Regards

---------- Post added 02-08-21 at 07:23 AM ----------

I'll contact them. Thanks.
I have enough of the optical glue to fix 500 lenses, and it expires in 4 months! I just bought a second 100f4 from ebay to use as a reference, it has the separation too, but appears less than mine.

I'll be back once I have a report on my success or failure.

Anyone have any suggestions for a before/after test subject? Will one of the B&W patterns work? Or should one use a colored subject?