Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ME Super repair?

Just got a non functional ME super given to me for free, so I wanted to take some chances to repair it.

The issues:

- Mirror is stuck in the up position, it can be pushed down with the aperture lever on the side of the tunnel but it will bounce back up immediately so its not sticky seals
- Winder is stuck in locked position
- Shutter is not cocked and the shutter button can be fully pressed, nothing happens

Any clues?

02-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
perhaps this might be of use

repair manual ME Super

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf

need to look at this too ME repair

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me_service_sm.pdf

good luck
02-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #3

If the problem is in the electronics the only fix is to replace the circuit board. Not likely with no parts available.
02-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to shoot Eric Hendrickson an email to find out if it's worth fixing. His website: Home-Pentaxs

02-16-2021, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out this video:

02-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

battery compartment clean? good batteries in it? maybe it has not cycled through the last shot

likely something is gumming up the process..........removing the bottom plate and blowing it out may help but will likely need some lube to get things going.......rosonol (lighter fluid) generally works well in small doses and evaporates leaving very little residue....has revived several "dead bodies" i have accumulated
02-17-2021, 03:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My ME Super had the same thing and I had to open it up up to the mirror-box mechanisms to replace some old rubber bumper which had broken. there's a detailed guide online if you search for it. but you have to know it's a tiresome operation.

02-19-2021, 02:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Welp. Tried most of the tips here. Swapped out the batteries, meter works but camera is still locked up in M or B mode. Camera is now in the shop for repairs + CLA.

Thanks everyone
02-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #9

Last year I did had a similar issue with my Pentax ME F after long period of non-usage, a knock or bounce on the back of the camera did help to get it back.
03-07-2021, 11:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the camera back from the shop, and they said they couldn't repair it since they don't have replacement spring parts.

Welp.

Maybe its time to open up the camera myself and see whats what, but I don't have a spanner or the rubber cap needed to twist the top plate of the winder arm.
03-08-2021, 03:46 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Put a rubber glove on your hand, with the camera sitting on the table press on the cap with the heel of your thumb and turn in a clockwise direction.