Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

tripod collar issues on 70-200mm f2.8

Hello, I wasn't sure how to post a question to get some help with my Pentax 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I love this lens, but have had some real issues with the tripod collar coming loose at the lens connection. I am a professional sports photographer for high schools and colleges, so am moving around, running around a lot with my camera/lens on a monopod, so the tripod collar is essential. I have had it repaired once by Precision Camera Repair via Ricoh/Pentax, but in less than a year, it is already very loose again. Can I just glue the loose part that only stays attached to the lens collar and doesn't need to move ever? Please help, as time is of the essence. Thank you so much!

03-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
I have had it repaired once by Precision Camera Repair via Ricoh/Pentax, but in less than a year, it is already very loose again. Can I just glue the loose part that only stays attached to the lens collar and doesn't need to move ever?
I experienced the same thing, except I didn't need to sent mine for repair because I understood the problem before damaging the collar. My first reaction would have been to tighten the bolt more, but after examining the construction I found that the origin of loosening came from two small screws. Luckily I didn't force like most people might tend to do. I added a piece of aluminum foil to act a soft joint and tightened the two small screws again (without forcing too much), no glue, just dried mounted. Now fixed and didn't come lose again. And since the problem was the same (same construction) for the tripod collar of my D-FA 150-450 , I also fixed it, and never had to sent it for repair.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.
03-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I added a piece of aluminum foil to act a thermal joint and screwed again.
You lost me there. I know what a thermal joint is and what aluminum foil is, but am probably not alone in wondering how you fixed the loose collar fitting. Might you elaborate?

Steve
03-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You lost me there. I know what a thermal joint is and what aluminum foil is, but am probably not alone in wondering how you fixed the loose collar fitting. Might you elaborate?

Steve
I think he added a tiny piece of aluminum foil to the screw holes. Enough to add some "bite" to the threads. That's what I'm getting from it.

03-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I think he added a tiny piece of aluminum foil to the screw holes. Enough to add some "bite" to the threads. That's what I'm getting from it.
In which case...Loctite 220 (for small diameter...assuming tapped threads are not toast) or maybe Loctite 222MS (similar, but lower strength)?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-09-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: clarity
03-09-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

I experienced the same thing, except I didn't need to sent mine for repair because I understood the problem before damaging the collar. My first reaction would have been to tighten the bolt more, but after examining the construction I found that the origin of loosening came from two small screws. Luckily I didn't force like most people might tend to do. I added a piece of aluminum foil to act a soft joint and tightened the two small screws again (without forcing too much), no glue, just dried mounted. Now fixed and didn't come lose again. And since the problem was the same (same construction) for the tripod collar of my D-FA 150-450 , I also fixed it, and never had to sent it for repair.
could you add a picture of you're fix, i also have the 150-450 and wonder of i could get the same problem.
03-09-2021, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I have to pull the lens out of its bag.

The collar assembly is made of three parts:
- (1) one circular part that goes around the lens body
- (2) a small plate that is screwed to the circular part (1) by two tiny screws (1.5mm screws get all the weight of the lens, even more when camera is attached, by the way..). Big handle, big lens, with 2 tiny screws between them.
- (3) a handle that slides into part (2) and locks by turning a side bolt

Both D-FA 70-200 and D-FA 150-450 collar systems are designed the same way so that the handle can be easily removed without requiring any tool and a trapezoid (not sure how it's called in English, "dovetail" or something like that) lock to eliminate mechanical play when tightened. On both of my 70-200 and 150-450, some mechanical play occurred between the small plate (2) and the circular part (1), but at first sight it felt like the handle (3) wasn't locked tight enough, leading user to try to tighten the handle (3) more strongly and break that part in doing so. Luckily I didn't damage mine, but I know others have. So, I unlocked the handle and separate it completely. Then I unscrewed plate (2) completely and added two layers of kitchen aluminum foil between plate (2) and the flat area of (1) so that the softer aluminum material makes the two surfaces between (2) and (1) joint well over the whole surface of the plates when tightening the two screws again, so that there is not mechanical play anymore. And now, I super happy because there is no play at all between the handle and the lens, ensuring the lens doesn't move when mounted on tripod.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-09-2021 at 02:47 PM.
03-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

- (2) a small plate that is screwed to the circular part (1) by two tiny screws (1.5mm screws get all the weight of the lens, even more when camera is attached, by the way..). Big handle, big lens, with 2 tiny screws between them.

Both D-FA 70-200 and D-FA 150-450 collar systems are designed the same way so that the handle can be easily removed without requiring any tool and a trapezoid (not sure how it's called in English, "dovetail" or something like that) lock to eliminate mechanical play when tightened. On both of my 70-200 and 150-450, some mechanical play occurred between the small plate (2) and the circular part (1), but at first sight it felt like the handle (3) wasn't locked tight enough, leading user to try to tighten the handle (3) more strongly and break that part in doing so. Luckily I didn't damage mine, but I know others have. So, I unlocked the handle and separate it completely. Then I unscrewed plate (2) completely and added two layers of kitchen aluminum foil between plate (2) and the flat area of (1) so that the softer aluminum material makes the two surfaces between (2) and (1) joint well over the whole surface of the plates when tightening the two screws again, so that there is not mechanical play anymore. And now, I super happy because there is no play at all between the handle and the lens, ensuring the lens doesn't move when mounted on tripod.
Thanks for that explanation Biz. I have that lens and will keep it in mind

03-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've had no such problem with either 70-200 or 150-450. Must check them tonight!
03-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This has me completely flummoxed! On both my dfa* 70-200 and DFA 150-450, the "small plate that is screwed to the circular part" is attached by FOUR screws, not TWO.

Is this what we are talking about? It seems very firmly attached to me.

03-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
This has me completely flummoxed! On both my dfa* 70-200 and DFA 150-450, the "small plate that is screwed to the circular part" is attached by FOUR screws, not TWO.
yes 4 srews not 2. Sorry i did this stuff last year and did disassemble my lens for this post. My mistake. Yes 4 small scrws. I hope the OP understand the idea of the fix.

---------- Post added 10-03-21 at 17:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Is this what we are talking about? It seems very firmly attached to me.
Right. On my lenses these screws got lose after using the lenses for about one year.
03-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #12

Just checked my 150-450, it is very solid, no movement noticeable at all.

Last edited by Sakura; 03-10-2021 at 09:28 AM.
03-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the responses. I have had the small plate with the four screws come off completely, with broken screws, so sent in to Precision Camera Repair for almost $400.00 fix and 3 months in the repair shop. That was last year around this time. It is loose again, so I wondered, other than the aluminum foil fix, if a bit of glue could be used to permanently attach the plate to the round collar, since you don't have to ever remove it for use with a mono/tripod?