Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Can USA Pentax owners get parts from outside the country?

Pentax camera parts are seemingly no longer available from within the United States. Pentax USA will not sell repair parts. They direct you to Precision Camera in Connecticut, who will perform repairs, but likewise will not sell repair parts.

All I need is the rear focus AF button cap for a K-1 (assuming the cap is the same size on other models that have the same feature). The switch works fine. I would even be willing to buy the whole switch just to get the cap. Will any non-USA Pentax repair facility sell parts to be delivered within the United States?

03-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Pentax camera parts are seemingly no longer available from within the United States.
This is interesting. There are laws that require manufacturers to maintain a parts supply for a certain length of time after a product is discontinued. The time limit apparently varies by product type and country/state. It may well be financially impractical to fight Ricoh/Pentax on this issue but certainly they could be notified of consumer displeasure.
03-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

From what I gather from various posts the parts situation is pretty much the same everywhere, not just the US.

And other manufacturers have similar policies, not just Ricoh.

Someone posted a thread on taking apart their water damaged K-1. Maybe they would be willing to source the part(s) for you.
03-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
This is interesting. There are laws that require manufacturers to maintain a parts supply for a certain length of time after a product is discontinued. The time limit apparently varies by product type and country/state. It may well be financially impractical to fight Ricoh/Pentax on this issue but certainly they could be notified of consumer displeasure.
That is true, but not to sell them, but to force the manufacturers to repair products during that period.

03-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
That is true, but not to sell them, but to force the manufacturers to repair products during that period.
As this is a complicated issue and I have no expertise I am including this for what it is worth. One article said that a manufacturer was not REQUIRED to repair an item that was out of warranty. This suggests that mandatory supply of parts was also meant for consumer or 3rd party repairs