Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aperture block repair K-70, finished

FYI. My K-70 arrived today from repair at Precision Camera. They replaced the Aperture Block Assy. cleaned the camera, and reset to factory settings. Repair cost including tax was $245.67. Shipping to and back was extra. First test seems to be like new.

03-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations. Enjoy your "new" camera.

Out of interest, how old was the camera when it failed, and how many actuations?
03-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Congratulations. Enjoy your "new" camera.

Out of interest, how old was the camera when it failed, and how many actuations?
Purchased in April 2018, shutter count was about 5400.
03-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

Hmm, looks like Precision redesigned their website. Everything is on a secured connection and a much more contemporary design. Doesn't mean the work flow/process or business practice has improved though

03-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's the thinking on actuations and aperture block failure, more likely to happen with more actuations, or less?
03-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What's the thinking on actuations and aperture block failure, more likely to happen with more actuations, or less?
Just a measure of how much the camera has been used. 5400 is nothing, so the failure is unlikely to be related to heavy use.
03-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a measure of how much the camera has been used. 5400 is nothing, so the failure is unlikely to be related to heavy use.
Elsewhere Photogem speculated that 20K might be a breaking point. I readily admit I have no expertise (or even less than that) concerning this issue but from life experience I would suggest there may be multiple causes. Yet maybe it is just a crappy part with various failure rates based on lack of manufacturing quality control.
03-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
As far as I know, the thinking is still that Dark Image Syndrome depends upon calendar time passed rather than upon number of actuations.

03-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Elsewhere Photogem speculated that 20K might be a breaking point. I readily admit I have no expertise (or even less than that) concerning this issue but from life experience I would suggest there may be multiple causes. Yet maybe it is just a crappy part with various failure rates based on lack of manufacturing quality control.
A link to this "elsewhere" would be useful!

Otherwise: At least they have given up on this mysterious "resistor-chip".

Re-Set to factory settings is totally unnecessary, useless and not kind to the customer.
04-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anecdotally seems to be more time related than actuation related.

2-3 years after manufacture date seems to be when a lot of failures start occurring.

Same pattern with K-30, K-50, etc
04-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote

2-3 years after manufacture date seems to be when a lot of failures start occurring.

It seems to me that it's much more likely that there is just some material flaw with the solenoids that cause them to fail. Perhaps if we got a full distribution of failure times, there would be an uptick in the 2–3 year timeframe, but we really have no data on the prevalence of solenoid failures. My K-50 got aperture block right around three years after its manufacture date. My K-70, manufactured on 27 February 2017, is still kicking.
04-17-2021, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote

The reason why you don't hear of cameras failing in the first 1-2 years is simply that there is warranty.
Then there is 1 year warranty on the repair, i.e. if it occurs again within 1 year, repair is on warranty again
(at least this should be so)
04-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #13
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-30 started showing “Dark Image Syndrome” on first image of the day after about 26 months, and on every image after about 36 months.