Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #1

Problematic customer service from Precision Camera

Just wanted to post this warning before you spend your hard earned money. You'd be wise to never buy any Pentax or Ricoh products like I did (Pentax). Their customer service is virtually non-existent.

I bought a pair of 12x50 PCF WP II binos. The aluminum connector on the left eyepiece broke, such that it would not focus.

My extensive online research revealed only two possible places for repairs in the USA: Denver Pentax customer service / repair center, and Precision Camera in Enfield, CT. Further research revealed that the Denver center had been shut down (yet its presence not removed from the web, purporting to be a going concern). So that left only one option, Precision Camera.

I sent it to them (their website did NOT - repeat did NOT - tell me to call first to get a R.A. number - it just said mail the item in; so I did. Well, they flat out refused to do the repairs, even though they admitted they had the parts, and even though I stood ready, willing, and able to pay ANY amount necessary for their repairs and return shipping, simply because I did not have my original receipt (who keeps those?). Regardless, receipt or not, I'm willing to PAY for the repairs, so.... Went round and round on the phone; they started a ticket there at Precision, and started a ticket at Pentax as well. NO ONE from either outfit EVER contacted me back as promised, to resolve the open dispute ticket.

Two months later, they shipped them back untouched with the phrase "RETURNING UNREPAIRED" in the box called "Explanation of Repairs". No other explanation.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life, that they won't let you PAY for the repairs you need - they admitted to me on the phone that there was no other possible authorized repair center for Pentax.

Just ridiculously bad customer service. Does anyone know some outfit who might have parts for this bino? Thanks.

04-21-2021, 04:49 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Danny

The Pentax - Ricoh (USA) site clearly states that the only repairer for Pentax Sport Optics products is Precision. I note that the Ricoh site provides the link to Precision and Precision has a form that they want filled out: Here's a copy of the form: https://www.precisioncamera.com/images/Sports_Optics_Repair_Form_Fillable_10-9-2020.pdf

It does seem odd that they insist on the requirement of the original bill of sale considering that you're not asking to make this a warranty repair. But, you can't blame Ricoh for that. Precision is a stand-alone company. If your breakage occurred through handling, dropping, etc, then I would suggest that your first point of call should be your regular household insurance company. Let them deal with Precision. If, however, this breakage is a warranty issue (and Pentax optics have a 25 year warranty in the USA) then I would suggest you find some proof of purchase as that would, presumably, be a cheaper and easier solution than anything else.

I'm happy to report that Pentax / Ricoh servicing in New Zealand is not bad and I have had a good experience with the local agent and their Japan based repair service. I'm sorry to hear that your experience in the USA has been somewhat lacking.
04-21-2021, 04:50 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
welcome to the forums so glad to see you around.

QuoteOriginally posted by DannyLandrum Quote
tell me to call first to get a R.A. number
This is standard procedure, no?
I have been fortunate to never have to use my warranties for Pentax products, but I have plenty for computer electronics and the first step each time is to get an R.A. number.

QuoteOriginally posted by DannyLandrum Quote
who keeps those?
me lol

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Stay hydrated.
04-21-2021, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Call the number on the Ricoh Imaging website under warranty repairs for sport optics:
For further questions please call: 1-800-234-0276

04-21-2021, 04:57 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Sorry you had an experience, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone have a successful career in any forum by making some explosive post complaining because they had a bad experience. It doesn’t put a good taste in people’s mouths. Save that for a google review. And save your receipt/read the instructions first.

Welcome to the forum.
04-21-2021, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
We call can and should ABSOLUTELY blame Ricoh / Pentax for that, as that is their policy - Precision Camera is simply following the policy SET BY Ricoh / Pentax.
04-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
11GTCS - so you DON'T want to know about potential pitfalls with your hard earned money? Okey-dokey. Just trying to HELP you folks out. I'm telling the 100% complete truth. And yeahhhh, probably not gonna hang out a lot in a forum dedicated to a brand which I now despise, due to their epically bad customer service.

Sad because I love my little 6.5x21 binos with a 2 foot focus.

04-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ramsey - I did all that - believe me; I exhausted every possibility. I spent a few hours on the phone, with several calls, with any and all Ricoh or Pentax people I could possibly find. They all agreed that they could not and would not repair my binos (AFTER I had sent them in, as specifically instructed by the Precision Camera website).
04-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
Fozz - NO! Not at all. It was NOT a "standard procedure" .. (even though you're right; it usually is). That's the point. Go look at precision camera's website right now. It says essentially - just send them in!
04-21-2021, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

It seems to me, that your problem is not really with Pentax/Ricoh in general, but with Precision Camera.
I own five Pentax binoculars and I'm pretty happy with them. A few years back my 9x28 bino broke (was not able to focus correctly). I sent it in and got a replacement right away. I was very pleased with their customer service. Admittedly i live in Europe. Maybe things are different over here...
04-21-2021, 05:17 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's quite a first post on the forum.
04-21-2021, 05:35 PM - 4 Likes   #12

From Precision's Website:
QuoteQuote:
PENTAX Sport Optics Warranty

From the original date of purchase, RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORP. provides a 25-year limited US warranty for most PENTAX Binoculars purchased within the US from a Ricoh Imaging authorized dealer. This warranty covers the original owner and is not transferable. Routine external cleaning, normal cosmetic and mechanical wear and excessive wear due to professional use are not covered under the terms of this limited US lifetime binocular warranty.

Proof of Warranty Status
The dated proof of purchase receipt (bill of sale) must be provided to ensure warranty status. If a dated proof of purchase receipt is not received with the product, a repair estimate will be issued.

Normal warranty repair time is approximately 3-5 weeks from the day we receive your product, not including shipping time back to you. However, this turnaround time may vary with the time of year and the volume of products we receive for repair.

*This warranty does not cover cosmetic damages, theft or loss. (Replacement may be with a comparable model at PENTAX’s discretion if the original model is no longer available.)

*Applies only to unmodified equipment or product with modifications performed by authorized PENTAX repair personnel.

Please fill out the Sport Optics Repair Request Form linked below. When sending your product in for repair, please follow the instructions below:

Dated proof of original purchase (copy of the bill of sale or charge slip).

Pentax Worry Free Warranty is only available to Pentax Sport Optics products purchased between March 1, 2006 to March 1, 2018.

Using the Repair Request Form linked below, include a note describing the problem with your full return address and daytime telephone number.

Ship repairs to: Ricoh Sport Optics Repair, 7 Anngina Drive, Enfield, CT 06082

PLEASE NOTE: COMPLETING AND MAILING THE PRODUCT REGISTRATION CARD IS NOT NECESSARY TO OBTAIN WARRANTY COVERAGE
Click here to launch the Sports Optics Repair Form
Seems to me the problem is with Precision for not following their stated policy concerning no proof of purchase.

You could try Advance Camera in Oregon. They are an Authorized Pentax / Ricoh repair center. Their website states:

QuoteQuote:
We service cameras, lenses (both film and digital), flashes (on-camera flashes, as well as studio strobes and power packs), tripods, binoculars, spotting scopes, projectors (analog and digital), and other photographic related items. In addition, we offer data recovery from memory cards.
If the equipment needs to be sent to Precision for the repair Advance will normally do that in your behalf and the billing will be through Advance. Advance Camera has an excellent reputation from Forum members that have used them.

Camera Repair and Cleaning | Advance Camera Repair
04-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
Go here and look at Precision Camera's (which *IS* Pentax for all intents and purposes, for this issue) reviews on Yelp:

</title><title data-rh="true">PRECISION CAMERA - 13 Photos & 155 Reviews - Photography Stores & Services - 7 Anngina Dr, Enfield, CT - Phone Number - Yelp

Absolutely horrible. 2 stars on average, after many reviews. 1-star review after 1-star review.
04-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you, Not a Number. How did you find that? I searched extensively, and my google-fu is pretty strong.

They DID follow Pentax's rule of not repairing anything unless you have original receipt. That's the problem. It's an absurd rule from Pentax, obviously designed to shirk as much responsibility as humanly possible. Remember, I talked to Pentax themselves, too - who gave me a separate "problem ticket" number. NO ONE ever called me back, emailed, or responded in any way other than to send the item back unrepaired.
04-21-2021, 05:41 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
But, you can't blame Ricoh for that.
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
It seems to me, that your problem is not really with Pentax/Ricoh in general, but with Precision Camera.
Without getting into the OP's particular situation, I have to disagree with the statements that Precision doesn't represent Ricoh/Pentax. I submit that when Ricoh/Pentax chose to have Precision be their de-facto repair department in the U.S. they also chose to accept Precision's attitudes and actions with their products as representing their own attitudes and actions. As your mother said to you, "You are the company you keep."
Closed Thread