Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #16

Original Poster
And right, they refuse to even GIVE me a repair estimate, so maybe they broke their own rules; I dunno about that. But WHY? This is terribly UN-environmentally friendly; to in essence force me to scrap them and buy new ones, when I'm willing to pay literally any price up to and including the value of a new one in order to RRRR here (reduce, re-use, recycle, re-purpose). That's my goal. A fixed pair of binos. Without have to throw them away. That's not unreasonable.

04-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #17

Original Poster
On Google, Precision Camera has a 2.3 out of 5 stars, after 196 reviews. However, the buck stops with Pentax. This is THEIR one and only chose repair center for Pentax binos. This is Pentax's agent. And they KNEW about my case, as I had a separate problem ticket with them too, as I said. Look:

Google Maps
04-21-2021, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Without getting into the OP's particular situation, I have to disagree with the statements that Precision doesn't represent Ricoh/Pentax. I submit that when Ricoh/Pentax chose to have Precision be their de-facto repair department in the U.S. they also chose to accept Precision's attitudes and actions with their products as representing their own attitudes and actions. As your mother said to you, "You are the company you keep."
Precision is in the same boat with several other companies. I don’t get what happened, but a direct call to the Ricoh Pentax sport optics folks seems like the next step. Taking precision at their word that they engaged Ricoh seems a terrible idea.

While I agree Pentax should hold precision to a higher standard, they don’t. Other brands likewise don’t. However in most cases I’ve heard of, if you get Ricoh involved this gets resolved. I miss the days when I could call a friend and find the name of the tech who would be working on my gear. The folks in Denver were great.
04-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #19

Original Poster
By the way, I DID fill out and send the Pentax / Ricoh "Sport Optics Warranty / Non-Warranty Repair Request Form", which has NOTHING on it about requiring an RA or anything of the sort. I filled out the form exactly as instructed.

In fact, here is an exact quote of my description from that form, which they sent back to me, so I'll upload a picture of it: "Dropped; broke the connection between left eyepiece and focus knob; Need repaired; I will pay for repair. Please call for debit card info."

04-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #20

Original Poster
yes, quite a first post. If they make it right and repair my binos, I sure might stick around. If not, well.... what would YOU do? Only pentax or ricoh products I've ever owned were these two pairs of binos; and only 1 pair broke.
04-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #21

Original Poster
I should mention I spent $15.50 sending it in; more good money after bad on this ordeal.
04-21-2021, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #22

Once again, Precision states:

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If a dated proof of purchase receipt is not received with the product, a repair estimate will be issued.
According to you Precision did not send you an estimate but rather sent it back. The policy seems to be no warranty repairs without proof of purchase. They should have sent you an estimate for non-warranty repairs.

Precision is very bad at communicating with customers. There are numerous threads on Pentax Forums on this very subject. They are bad with email communications but are better over the phone. Other members have stated Precision had called them with estimates but not replied to or sent emails. The best method of contacting Precision is by telephone. The secret used to be was to press "1" to get a live person on the line.

I have often speculated that Precision is a family owned business that started decades before the Internet and the senior management (owners) don't quite "get" the Internet way of business. They have improved in this regard but very slowly.

04-21-2021, 06:14 PM - 5 Likes   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by DannyLandrum Quote
If not, well.... what would YOU do?
I certainly wouldn't register on an enthusiast forum and make my intital impression on the community one of a ranting upset consumer.

I might have started a thread asking if other people had a difficult experience with Precision.

We are a community of photography enthusiasts, mostly amateur, who share a common passion for Pentax cameras and lenses. This forum has no business connections with Ricoh/Pentax, or Pentax Sport Optics. Therefore, this really isn't the place to try and get some satisfaction regarding your binoculars.

I really wish we could help solve your dilemma, but we can't.

Sorry, eh?
Racer
04-21-2021, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

yes, quite a first post. If they make it right and repair my binos, I sure might stick around. If not, well.... what would YOU do? Only pentax or ricoh products I've ever owned were these two pairs of binos; and only 1 pair broke.
This is predominantly a camera and photography forum. Binoculars are rarely discussed here. Regardless of how good or bad Ricoh Pentax service is, if you're not into photography there's little reason to stick around.
04-21-2021, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #25
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This is predominantly a camera and photography forum.
...but he's saving us all our hard earned money... you know, it's wise to never buy a Pentax again....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
04-21-2021, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

I have always sent a copy of my original receipt when sending Pentax cameras to Precision for service. That is the root information that they consider warranty coverage with, and also identify the owner with. I include that receipt copy, a letter explaining the problem and including residential address, and contact phone number and/or email. When they receive it all the information and piece of equipment is there. They then use the phone number as a key to the progress of the repair information on their site. It is quite simple. A copy of record of receipt that came with the equipment or receipt record from the seller containing the name and address of the buyer will help Precision determine if the repair is within the applicable timeline. If interested in a warranty repair, it may be a good idea to mention that in the letter sent in with the equipment.

Contacting the Ricoh optics customer service for other information may be helpful as has already been said.

Good luck with your situation.
04-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They all agreed that they could not and would not repair my binos
I'm sort of an outsider looking in with respect to Precision's repair service, as I would deal with Ricoh Imaging's Canadian service centre.

I'm curious, though, whether either Precision or Ricoh Imaging indicated a clear reason why they declined to repair the binos or to provide a repair estimate.

It seems odd to me that the lack of a dated proof-of-purchase receipt would be sufficient grounds, considering that their online documentation indicates that repairs are possible in out-of-warranty or missing-reciept situations, e.g., "If a dated proof of purchase receipt is not received with the product, a repair estimate will be issued."

We've had other discussions here concerning occasional confusion with Precision's processes and online instructions or policies, and Precision has caused a number of grievances over the years. Similarly, there have been instances where the consumer has missed a step or might have been better served by following up with Precision after several weeks of no contact. Of course, I don't know the situation in this case.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-21-2021 at 07:05 PM.
04-21-2021, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
That's quite a first post on the forum.
..innit?

...doomed, I say....
04-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since you are thoroughly messed up with Precision,
I'd have a friend contact Precision for an RA; see if it all "went south" because of no RA.
Cross the receipt bridge when you come to it, if it gets that far.

As to keeping receipts, on an item with a 25 year warranty, I would make a special effort; for a year- not so much.
Some sellers make it really easy to register a purchase online; since I've never bought new binoculars, or camera, or lens, it is kind of a moot point for me.
04-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #30
Pentaxian

If Ricoh customer service recommends that you send the equipment to Precision again, you may want to notify Precision of that in your information you submit with your equipment or through another distinct communication with Precision. Knowing that Ricoh has recommended you send your equipment to them may clarify that you are acting upon recommendation from Ricoh to service your equipment. And, as has been expressed, a receipt of purchase may also be helpful.
Closed Thread