Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 03:19 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Well though I dont really think this rant belongs on this forum as its not a camera issue I do think Ricoh's support network in the USA is pathetic. I am really hoping my new k3 mk 3 does not need warranty work.

I have not had a great experience with Precision and its frustrating that we are stuck with them because Ricoh has made a decision to limit authorized repair shops. Am I happy about it? No.. but its better than no authorized shops I guess. Its seems to be a trend with most camera mfgs thats been discussed before.. even Nikon has downsized support.

My advice for the op is to try and get a copy of the receipt digitally and give it another go. The Op never clearly said he was the original buyer but if he was he should contact the seller.. in this day and age they all should have digital receipts.
Al

04-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DannyLandrum Quote
Just trying to HELP you folks out.
I understand that you might be mad, but in honesty you're not "helping" but complaining about your bad experience.

Keeping receipts is a given for expensive objects, I would think.

Saying no one should buy Pentax products ever is stretching it a bit.

That being said, Precision's treatment of your case is unimpressive to say the least.
04-22-2021, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
ummm... I'm not a regular here... what is "the other forum"?
I think they are talking about DP Review. Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'm not a big fan of the site. On one hand, a lot more negativity and the other hand a lot of moderation to shut down people making negative comments about the DP Review over lords.
04-22-2021, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I stood ready, willing, and able to pay ANY amount necessary for their repairs and return shipping
Upon further thought, I wonder how much you paid originally for the binos? I think they were in the $250 range several years ago (now discontinued), and would guess that a repair -- if possible -- would cost at least $150. Have you considered buying a new pair instead of repairing it?

- Craig

04-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did not have my original receipt (who keeps those?)
I always keep receipts for anything that has a warranty. I write KEEP FOR WARRANTY on top of the receipt in upper case letters so I don't accidentally throw it away. I keep those receipts in a file folder.

I agree, your experience was horrible and wish it had gone better for you. I hope you begin to keep warranty receipts so something similar doesn't occur in the future.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 04-22-2021 at 07:24 AM. Reason: receipt not recipe
04-22-2021, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #51
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
beep beep a beep beep "This just in - local man who doesn't keep receipts is angry he didn't keep his receipt - now back to you Tom".
04-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Notice the date range in "Not a Number" post from Precisions website: "Pentax Worry Free Warranty is only available to Pentax Sport Optics products purchased between March 1, 2006 to March 1, 2018." Their website is outdated by three years?

04-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #53
dlhawes

We call can and should ABSOLUTELY blame Ricoh / Pentax for that, as that is their policy - Precision Camera is simply following the policy SET BY Ricoh / Pentax.
That's consistent with my experience.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought, "That's all wrong! Ricoh/Pentax doesn't HAVE any customer service, so how could what they don't have at all be 'horrible'???".
04-22-2021, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Hey one quick note on the receipts keeping.. be sure to make a digital copy of any of your receipts.. some of the ink used these days fades badly- real badly with time... especially cash register receipts.

Al
04-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well...I'd say that this could be an isolated----and very unfortunate!....case. My experiences with Precision have been ...ok. I had the board replacement done, and I know Precision was surprised and a bit overwhelmed by the response to that overall offer. The 2 problems they had in my case were a personnel change in the middle of all of that summer rush, and not enough boards (so Pentax/Ricoh was also surprised). But communications were always cordial and acceptable, given the personnel change which threw a wrench into it a bit.

My other experience was an exploration of a repair for a 31mm LTD with a woobly/loose hood, and the minimum repair charge they state w/o even seeing the problem is excessive imo. I'll explore KEH when I get around to it.

But here in this context I'd also say a couple of things:
  • It really is up to Pentax/Ricoh to be responsible for their subcontractor that they have designated as the authorized warranty service. Not the first time we've read about iffy warranty issues concerning Pentax, and that's a global problem, not just Precision. It's become clear that the great service that some have gotten had more to do with the individual and essentially voluntary decisions made by independent warranty subcontractors, service centers, and global sales groups. That's not how it should be, imo. You ought to be able to get exactly the same service, answers, and customer support no matter where you are. That's on Pentax/Ricoh, and it is indeed a ding on the brand.
  • As a mod, here, and a Pentaxian, I do think that the OP's post was more incendiary than it needed to be, but also that some subsequent posts were less than sensitive to the OP's pain and frustration. Such a response isn't helpful to the brand, either.
So, I suggest we could try to be more helpful, as one poster above was with their alternative repair source.
04-22-2021, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
So, I suggest we could try to be more helpful, as one poster above was with their alternative repair source.
A sensible reminder.

I think it would be useful to flesh out the bottom line in this case, especially if it bodes poorly on future repairs for unfortunate members.

There's an impression that both Ricoh Imaging and Precision took a stance of 'no receipt, no repair'. To me, that seems unreasonable in cases of damage such as this one -- it's not a warranty repair -- but I may have misunderstood the situation. It's also possible that important details have not been revealed.

Regardless, the OP seems frustrated and resentful, so helpful suggestions might be appreciated.

- Craig
04-22-2021, 09:14 AM - 3 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
... Is it Ricoh's fault if Precision does not perform? No...
I strongly disagree with that. Ricoh has made a conscious decision to force us to use Precision. It's the only place Ricoh will allow warranty repairs, and they've additionally cut other places out even for non-warranty repairs. When someone buys a Pentax product in the USA they enter into a contract with Ricoh, not Precision.

A business shouldn't shirk it's responsibility by shifting blame to subcontractor.
04-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Notice the date range in "Not a Number" post from Precisions website: "Pentax Worry Free Warranty is only available to Pentax Sport Optics products purchased between March 1, 2006 to March 1, 2018." Their website is outdated by three years?
I take that as the period that particular warranty was in effect, currently it is called a 25 year limited warranty.
04-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Customer service today is just a marketing term. It really means nothing.
04-22-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #60
Forum Member

Don’t get me wrong, I run a customer service center, so I’m all about trying to be helpful. But my patience for those who try to start a flame war with their first post, even as a newbie myself on this forum, is limited. I apologize if that paints the forum in a bad light, but I guess that’s why I’m not a mod. 🤷 That said, I absolutely wish him the best of luck, camera/optics repair in the US generally is awful, I just got an absurd quote back from Fuji’s in house repair center and was forced to junk my 100V
Closed Thread