Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
That's quite a first post on the forum.
Same new member first post over on "the other forum" ...

04-21-2021, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
...but he's saving us all our hard earned money... you know, it's wise to never buy a Pentax again....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Geeze......maybe I ought to pester B&H to get my money back for the preordered K-3III???
04-21-2021, 08:10 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DannyLandrum Quote
Just wanted to post this warning before you spend your hard earned money. You'd be wise to never buy any Pentax or Ricoh products like I did (Pentax). Their customer service is virtually non-existent.

I bought a pair of 12x50 PCF WP II binos. The aluminum connector on the left eyepiece broke, such that it would not focus.

My extensive online research revealed only two possible places for repairs in the USA: Denver Pentax customer service / repair center, and Precision Camera in Enfield, CT. Further research revealed that the Denver center had been shut down (yet its presence not removed from the web, purporting to be a going concern). So that left only one option, Precision Camera.

I sent it to them (their website did NOT - repeat did NOT - tell me to call first to get a R.A. number - it just said mail the item in; so I did. Well, they flat out refused to do the repairs, even though they admitted they had the parts, and even though I stood ready, willing, and able to pay ANY amount necessary for their repairs and return shipping, simply because I did not have my original receipt (who keeps those?). Regardless, receipt or not, I'm willing to PAY for the repairs, so.... Went round and round on the phone; they started a ticket there at Precision, and started a ticket at Pentax as well. NO ONE from either outfit EVER contacted me back as promised, to resolve the open dispute ticket.

Two months later, they shipped them back untouched with the phrase "RETURNING UNREPAIRED" in the box called "Explanation of Repairs". No other explanation.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life, that they won't let you PAY for the repairs you need - they admitted to me on the phone that there was no other possible authorized repair center for Pentax.

Just ridiculously bad customer service. Does anyone know some outfit who might have parts for this bino? Thanks.
We call can and should ABSOLUTELY blame Ricoh / Pentax for that, as that is their policy - Precision Camera is simply following the policy SET BY Ricoh / Pentax.
11GTCS - so you DON'T want to know about potential pitfalls with your hard earned money? Okey-dokey. Just trying to HELP you folks out. I'm telling the 100% complete truth. And yeahhhh, probably not gonna hang out a lot in a forum dedicated to a brand which I now despise, due to their epically bad customer service.

Sad because I love my little 6.5x21 binos with a 2 foot focus.
Ramsey - I did all that - believe me; I exhausted every possibility. I spent a few hours on the phone, with several calls, with any and all Ricoh or Pentax people I could possibly find. They all agreed that they could not and would not repair my binos (AFTER I had sent them in, as specifically instructed by the Precision Camera website).
Fozz - NO! Not at all. It was NOT a "standard procedure" .. (even though you're right; it usually is). That's the point. Go look at precision camera's website right now. It says essentially - just send them in!
Go here and look at Precision Camera's (which *IS* Pentax for all intents and purposes, for this issue) reviews on Yelp:

</title><title data-rh="true">PRECISION CAMERA - 13 Photos & 155 Reviews - Photography Stores & Services - 7 Anngina Dr, Enfield, CT - Phone Number - Yelp

Absolutely horrible. 2 stars on average, after many reviews. 1-star review after 1-star review.
Thank you, Not a Number. How did you find that? I searched extensively, and my google-fu is pretty strong.

They DID follow Pentax's rule of not repairing anything unless you have original receipt. That's the problem. It's an absurd rule from Pentax, obviously designed to shirk as much responsibility as humanly possible. Remember, I talked to Pentax themselves, too - who gave me a separate "problem ticket" number. NO ONE ever called me back, emailed, or responded in any way other than to send the item back unrepaired.

Etc...etc...etc...

Welcome to the Pentax Forums....I think...

Just a quick question...What did we do to deserve being spammed? This is a fan site with no formal relationship to Ricoh/Pentax monetarily or otherwise and they do not monitor this site looking for complaints. You might have noticed that we do not have a binocular forum, mostly because this site is populated by photographers.

Now, a more measured response...
My suggestion is that you contact a local store that sells sport optics and ask them who they deal with for general repairs. Take the binos to them and let them deal with securing parts from Ricoh, Precision, or whomever. That is what happens if I take a Pentax lens to the repair guys local to me. Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-21-2021 at 08:28 PM.
04-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Same new member first post over on "the other forum" ...
He'll be welcomed there for sure.

04-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Same new member first post "horrible customer service" over on "the other forum" ... now is deleted from "the other forum", within the past half-hour, Wednesday evening . . . . very curious.
04-21-2021, 08:44 PM - 5 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Danny, ease up matey . Have you read the rules for the Forum's DFA*50/1.4 Give Away Raffle?
Just six posts per day to get an entry ticket, and only one ticket per day. You're throwing away extra chances to win an acclaimed Pentax/Ricoh product!
04-21-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #37

Thank you, Not a Number. How did you find that? I searched extensively, and my google-fu is pretty strong.
If you're asking about Advance Camera it's from being a Pentax user and Forum member for years. Where did you find the Denver location (C.R.I.S.) still listed? It hasn't been listed on the Ricoh US site for years.

Otherwise just follow the support links on the US Ricoh Imaging Site.

Where is it stated that Ricoh's policy is no proof of purchase no repairs of any kind?

From Ricoh Imaging US:

QuoteQuote:
Proof of Warranty Status

The dated proof of purchase receipt (bill of sale) must be provided to ensure warranty status. If a dated proof of purchase receipt is not received with the product, a repair estimate will be issued.
Warranty Information - Ricoh (see last paragraph)

What's the saying? The Internet is Forever? There's plenty of out-dated or erroneous information out there. According to Google my former neighbor who died 15 years ago is still living next door to me.

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-21-2021 at 09:15 PM.
04-21-2021, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Without getting into the OP's particular situation, I have to disagree with the statements that Precision doesn't represent Ricoh/Pentax. I submit that when Ricoh/Pentax chose to have Precision be their de-facto repair department in the U.S. they also chose to accept Precision's attitudes and actions with their products as representing their own attitudes and actions. As your mother said to you, "You are the company you keep."
Well, Ricoh is a Japanese corporation. I know (from personal experience) that their repairs operation in Japan is very good. The problem is that the USA seems to have few choices and no good choices for Pentax repair.
While unfortunate, I don't believe that it's fair to blame Ricoh for that. If Precision's service is so bad, then it's up to customers to complain to Precision and if that does not help, to take them to task in terms of the consumer protections offered by that jurisdiction. Is it unfortunate that Ricoh has chosen Precision as their service agent? Of course. Is it Ricoh's fault if Precision does not perform? No. Should buyers write to Ricoh and ask them to appoint other service agents? Absolutely! Should buyers take Precision to their local small claims court? You betcha!
04-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go here and look at Precision Camera's (which *IS* Pentax for all intents and purposes, for this issue) reviews on Yelp:

</title><title data-rh="true">PRECISION CAMERA - 13 Photos & 155 Reviews - Photography Stores & Services - 7 Anngina Dr, Enfield, CT - Phone Number - Yelp

Absolutely horrible. 2 stars on average, after many reviews. 1-star review after 1-star review.
Interestingly, many of the reviews seem to relate to Sony products. It seems Sony also uses Precision as their repair agent. Drat!
04-21-2021, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

I've also had pretty mixed experience with Precision, particularly when they need to communicate with Ricoh (they don't).

Having said this, a Facebook message to Ricoh seems to have been my best bet. You might give it a shot. Just give yourself the night to cool off first.
04-21-2021, 11:39 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

They DID follow Pentax's rule of not repairing anything unless you have original receipt. That's the problem. It's an absurd rule from Pentax, obviously designed to shirk as much responsibility as humanly possible. Remember, I talked to Pentax themselves, too - who gave me a separate "problem ticket" number. NO ONE ever called me back, emailed, or responded in any way other than to send the item back unrepaired.
I think... first, It's obvious you're angry. I would be angry if I were you.
Next, if I had a problem like this, My first stop would be their social media, (facebook, maybe) . I would send a direct message and if they still ignore me, I would post it on their front page until I get attention..or block me

Goodluck.
04-22-2021, 01:47 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I have always sent a copy of my original receipt when sending Pentax cameras to Precision for service. That is the root information that they consider warranty coverage with, and also identify the owner with
This is 2021.... make your own 'original receipt'.. .not hard and the Precison numpties obviously have no clue as to how the internet works so won't query it and if they do then ask them to prove it...
04-22-2021, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An awful lot of places, like B&H, Adorama, Amazon to name a few keep a copy of your receipt online. Even if they don’t your vendor should be able to help you out.
04-22-2021, 02:27 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.

I have had to use Precision for repairs, both under warranty and outside of warranty. The repairs were taken care of relatively quickly and thoroughly although the communication wasn't very good. I received the lens back before their web site said it was shipped.

Once again, I'm sorry they didn't take good care of you and welcome to the Forum.

(I own enough Pentax gear that I'm unlikely to sell it based on your testimonial...)
04-22-2021, 02:58 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
He'll be welcomed there for sure.
ummm... I'm not a regular here... what is "the other forum"?
Closed Thread