Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #1

K-3 with malfunctioning display and lenses

Hello, Pentax Forums. II'm a newbie on the forums but have been a semi-pro and professional photographer for about 12 years. My favorite K-3 camera was just repaired (a sticking shutter curtain) by Camera Service Company in Atlanta, GA. My home base is in Maryland, so the camera was shipped back and forth.

I received the "repaired" camera today, 27 April 2021. Initially it worked but within five minutes of operation, the LCD started flickering on and off, the shutter clicked once or twice, and the lens (a kit DA 18-55) kept cycling back and forth trying to focus. The camera would still take pictures but the LCD remained black with the exception of image display. I could see them and delete them, but otherwise a black LCD. Live view still worked. The firmware is also up to date.

Turning it off and on would reset it, but the same things happened repeatedly within about 30 seconds of the reset. I tried a new battery, same result. I checked the SD port door and it seemed fine. Switched the SD card between slots, still same result. The same result occurred in multiple modes, with manual focus, with auto-focus, manual triggering, remote control triggering, and with a different lens (Tamron SP 10-24mm).

Before the latest round of malfunction, the K3 with the Tamron 10-24 was my go-to rig for my real estate photography business, as well as a personal favorite for hobby shooting. Before I call Camera Service Company, has anyone experienced this phenomenon? Any home remedies out there? Insights and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

04-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oncatography Quote
I received the "repaired" camera today, 27 April 2021. Initially it worked but within five minutes of operation, the LCD started flickering on and off, the shutter clicked once or twice, and the lens (a kit DA 18-55) kept cycling back and forth trying to focus. The camera would still take pictures but the LCD remained black with the exception of image display. I could see them and delete them, but otherwise a black LCD. Live view still worked. The firmware is also up to date.
I don't know exactly what you are expecting to hear, but you should send it back to the repairers. They have failed to repair it.
04-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello, Pentax Forums. II'm a newbie on the forums but have been a semi-pro and professional photographer for about 12 years. My favorite K-3 camera was just repaired (a sticking shutter curtain) by Camera Service Company in Atlanta, GA. My home base is in Maryland, so the camera was shipped back and forth.

Turning it off and on would reset it, but the same things happened repeatedly within about 30 seconds of the reset. I tried a new battery, same result. I checked the SD port door and it seemed fine. Switched the SD card between slots, still same result. The same result occurred in multiple modes, with manual focus, with auto-focus, manual triggering, remote control triggering, and with a different lens (Tamron SP 10-24mm).

Before the latest round of malfunction, the K3 with the Tamron 10-24 was my go-to rig for my real estate photography business, as well as a personal favorite for hobby shooting. Before I call Camera Service Company, has anyone experienced this phenomenon? Any home remedies out there? Insights and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! Best suggestion is send it back for repair as it sounds like they did not fix it properly.

Good luck. Post how you make out.

Al
04-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I don't know exactly what you are expecting to hear, but you should send it back to the repairers. They have failed to repair it.
This ^^^^^^

They should have at least some repair warranty. If I had to guess they left a ribbon cable a bit loose inside but that's only a guess. And doesn't matter. You paid them to fix it, not break it more.

04-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I will be on the phone with them tomorrow, for sure. I was curious to hear if others had come across it. I will be taking notes and I'll share how things work out with them.
04-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New behavior in my recollection. Occasionally a repair results in failure but not this particular failure.
04-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like it was not put back together properly after the repair, i.e. something got broken that was not broken before .

04-28-2021, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Indeed!

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Sounds like it was not put back together properly after the repair, i.e. something got broken that was not broken before .
Most definitely! I contacted them this morning and they confirmed that none of that should be happening. So I'm shipping it back for diagnostics and repair on their tab. Fingers crossed it sticks.
04-29-2021, 01:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

In these cases, who pays the shipping costs?
04-29-2021, 04:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
In these cases, who pays the shipping costs?

Hello, Andrea K!

Typically the repair shops pay for shipping when they are at fault. I verified it with this company, and they will be covering the shipping costs.
04-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I cross my fingers for the K-3 and for you. Let's hope it will get fixed for real this time.
04-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your troubleshooting efforts

You did a great job troubleshooting. It was logical and thorough, topped off with your question here. Great job! The loose cable seems to me the most likely cause of the problem. Good luck with the repair of the repair.
05-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roam Redway Quote
You did a great job troubleshooting. It was logical and thorough, topped off with your question here. Great job! The loose cable seems to me the most likely cause of the problem. Good luck with the repair of the repair.
I learned how to be a troubleshooter from my father, who was an auto mechanic for almost 50 years. Function and scale are very different between cars and cameras, but the principles for diagnostics translate well. Thank you!
05-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Interesting, I didn't know there was another repair store for Pentax besides Precision Camera. I think that one of my cameras will need a shutter replacement. How much did they charge you?
05-03-2021, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Interesting, I didn't know there was another repair store for Pentax besides Precision Camera. I think that one of my cameras will need a shutter replacement. How much did they charge you?
Mbaez:

Original estimate was $185.00 USD, with $28.46 for shipping, total of $213.46. That's less expensive than my past experiences with Precision. My camera was well out of warranty, and ironically my last experience with Precision was a bit less than satisfying, although not as spectacularly off. The K3 is back iwith Camera Service Pro, to be set right at cost to them. I can say that CSP has been understanding and pleasantly helpful with this issue so far, hoping that holds up. We'll see!