Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dead remote port on K-5

I bought a K-5 on Ebay and I think it's going back, but I thought I'd check with the forum first to see if it might be a feasible self repair. I'm generally OK with complicated disassembly as long as I have documentation to follow, but I suck at soldering. I've had very little practice.

The thin silvery metal ring of the cable remote port itself is loose in the casing of the K-5, like it wiggles a little when inserting the connector. The remote works just fine with my K-7, but no matter how I wiggle it or hold it or try to get it to connect, I can't get this K-5 to fire by remote. Even by pressing it into the port and gently rocking it while repeatedly pushing the button. I suspect one of the internal connections has moved. How difficult does this sound to fix?

I thought perhaps the plug was catching on the bizarre little raised rim on the K-5's port, but even shaving down the plastic on the connector for my remote so that it easily fits hasn't helped. I'm aware of IR remote functionality, but I strongly prefer a cabled remote. Thanks for reading.

07-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #2

The solder points for the jack are probably on the back/under side of the main board meaning as well as opening the case you would have to remove the main board. I don't think it's worth the effort (lot of de-soldering) when you can just return the camera.
07-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The solder points for the jack are probably on the back/under side of the main board meaning as well as opening the case you would have to remove the main board. I don't think it's worth the effort (lot of de-soldering) when you can just return the camera.
Thanks! I agree, especially when it was listed as being fully functional.

Do you know if it's a quirk of the K-5 that it doesn't remember its drive mode after being turned off? I tried using my IR remote to test it, and to see if I might be able to live with using it, and every time I turn off the camera it reverts to single frame mode. My K-7 doesn't do that, nor my K-r.
07-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Thanks! I agree, especially when it was listed as being fully functional.

Do you know if it's a quirk of the K-5 that it doesn't remember its drive mode after being turned off? I tried using my IR remote to test it, and to see if I might be able to live with using it, and every time I turn off the camera it reverts to single frame mode. My K-7 doesn't do that, nor my K-r.
This can be set on the camera, see the K5 manual pg.312.

07-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If all else is good and it was a good deal, generic wireless remotes work well and are cheap. But, if that’s loose how did it get that way, and is it affecting anything else?
07-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
This can be set on the camera, see the K5 manual pg.312.
Brilliant! Thank you. That explains it well.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If all else is good and it was a good deal, generic wireless remotes work well and are cheap. But, if that’s loose how did it get that way, and is it affecting anything else?
I'm concerned about loose parts inside it, and it's not the only functional issue. One side of the hotshoe has been crushed down, and I adjusted it just enough to take my remote trigger, but it's an ugly flaw and I worry it may have been dropped.

At least Ebay is usually pretty good about enforcing returns, from the buyer's perspective. He'll be out the shipping both ways and his listing fee (if any) as penance for not checking his gear thoroughly before selling it. I'm out the time waiting for it and the next one. It's annoying on all sides but it could be a lot worse. Win some lose some.
07-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It should go back, and you get a refund without problem. The crushed hot shoe was a bad sign- I trust it was visible in the auction?

But, in the sellers defense- I would not have checked a wired remote port on it; mainly because I don't usually use or think about it- and it is not a likely failure point.
On a full featured DSLR, there are scores of possible "features and failure modes " to check and no doubt one could be missed without nefarious intent. JMHO.

07-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The port is for a 2.5mm stereo jack – focus, shutter, common. Off-the-shelf -ports are designed in such a way that I suspect they would be too deep and intrude into the camera more than space allows. You would have to disassemble the camera to assess the problem and see what the port looks like. My guess is that unless you are not afraid to disassemble the camera and you are very adept at soldering electronics, this is not a viable option.

I had to disassemble my K-5ii to repair the memory card door. There were a gosh-awful number of very small screws (in 3 different lengths) and some were hidden under things. It was nerve-wracking – and I was just replacing a hinge, not unsoldering and soldering.
07-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
But, in the sellers defense- I would not have checked a wired remote port on it; mainly because I don't usually use or think about it
I agree in principle, but I neglected to mention that the cable remote port cover has been opened and closed so many times the little tab holding it on is about to give, it's worn down. He knew. He had to know because the damage to the port must have been caused by extensive wear. Well, perhaps not "must", but it seems most likely to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I had to disassemble my K-5ii to repair the memory card door. There were a gosh-awful number of very small screws (in 3 different lengths) and some were hidden under things. It was nerve-wracking – and I was just replacing a hinge, not unsoldering and soldering.
Thanks for the warning. I remember when my first K-r died I watched a couple of tear down videos while trying to decide what to do about it, and it looked very nerve wracking but doable. The K-5 is more intricate, especially as it's weather sealed. I don't want to mess with it. Someday I'll dissect my old K-r for fun, though it seems irreverent.

The seller has accepted a return, full refund plus return shipping. I won't be out anything but time if it all goes to plan. He was actually very cordial about it and even in this anonymous anecdote I think it bears mention. I doubt he'll sell anything on Ebay again anytime soon though.
07-08-2021, 01:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Brilliant! Thank you. That explains it well.

I'm concerned about loose parts inside it, and it's not the only functional issue. One side of the hotshoe has been crushed down, and I adjusted it just enough to take my remote trigger, but it's an ugly flaw and I worry it may have been dropped.

It definitely had been abused, glad you have worked out the return.
07-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's been completely resolved and refunded, the fastest return I've ever had to make. Thanks for all of the replies and input. I feel more justified in having him pay the return shipping, which he did without complaint.
07-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #12

Glad it worked out for you.