Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Precision Lens Repair Question

I sent my DA 16-85 to Precision for a non warranty repair. For a few days after they got it the repair status screen reported "preparing your estimate". Today the status screen reports "Sending to Manufacturer Service Center for Repair". What does that mean? I thought Precision was the manufacturer service center in the US. I've had no communication from Precision. This is not helping my gut feeling I made a mistake in using them.

07-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I sent my DA 16-85 to Precision for a non warranty repair. For a few days after they got it the repair status screen reported "preparing your estimate". Today the status screen reports "Sending to Manufacturer Service Center for Repair". What does that mean? I thought Precision was the manufacturer service center in the US. I've had no communication from Precision. This is not helping my gut feeling I made a mistake in using them.
Where else would you send it? Some parts/equipment needed may only be in Japan it has happened on occasion. But yes they suck at communicating.
07-20-2021, 10:15 PM   #3

It's standard for Precision to send complicated or extensive lens repairs to Japan. I doubt that Precision even has optical test benches that are needed for complicated optical alignment. Given the cost simply to move, setup and calibrate the bench it''s unlikely Ricoh/Pentax would sell or lease them to Precision.

Who else are you going to go with? Ricoh no longer sells parts to any one but their authorized centers like Precision or Advance Camera. And if Precision can't get the parts or doesn't have the equipment or the training to properly adjust the parts what then? Even another Authorized Service Center like Advance Camera will send stuff they can't handle to Precision or Japan (usually through Precision).

If you read the numerous threads on Precision you would see it is better (not much) to call them rather than rely on the website or email for status updates. The website has improved but still has a long way to go which is probably a data entry problem rather than the software.
07-21-2021, 12:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It wasn't so much of where else to send it. It was more a question of whether to get it repaired at all. Taking the flat rate price + freight both ways + sales tax, I'm getting close (about 75%) to the price of a good used one, and if the estimate goes much higher it's not worth the trouble. I didn't know if "sending to manufacturer service center" meant they sent it to Pentax in Japan, or they just sent it over to their own Ricoh/Pentax service department. They are also an authorized service center for a few different manufacturers and might have a different service department for each.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you read the numerous threads on Precision...
I did read extensively here and elsewhere about Precision. That's why I have a not so confident feeling about it.

07-21-2021, 05:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep in mind there may be a warranty related issue or manufacturing issue impacting certain serial numbers.
07-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm going through this now with my 150-450. They had for about two weeks then the status was changed to sending it back to the manufacturer. I called and emailed and got anywhere from 10-15 days to three months. I got a text from FedEx that it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Precision didn't bother notifying me it was done or even give me a tracking number. Only way I knew it was my lens was it was being shipped from Connecticut. Not real happy with them, but where else is there to go?
07-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can only assume they can repair it (going thru Pentax Japan) for the flat rate fee and will notify me when the repair is complete, because they do not have my credit card info yet. This is not a warranty claim. I hoping I can get it back and fully functional by October at least. An email or phone call would be nice so I don't have to guess about it.

07-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sent my lens in...

I have a 70-200 DFA lens that needs repair. Precision sent it to Japan and 5 weeks later, I had it back in my hands. Very pleased!
09-13-2021, 08:18 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
I have a 70-200 DFA lens that needs repair. Precision sent it to Japan and 5 weeks later, I had it back in my hands. Very pleased!
What if I may ask was the total charges for your repair?
09-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
What if I may ask was the total charges for your repair?
It totaled $498.98 return shipping included.