Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Takumar-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 - Repairable?

This 28-80mm came with (or thrown in with) a Pentax MX I purchased recently and was fine until I tried zooming with it and the front part came off into my hand. I have tried screwing it back on again but it will go on but not level.

All I need to know is does this make the lens now totally kaput or is it fixable?
If it is I am happy to give it away on here to anyone happy to fix it or needs spare parts.

I also received the Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 which is almost the same and this works perfectly and produces lovely sharp images so I'm happy with it.

08-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoLady Quote
I have tried screwing it back on again but it will go on but not level.
Those threads in your first image look cross-threaded - i.e. running at an angle with respect to the original threads. Would explain your "not level" problem!! Somebody tried to force things together with an incorrect alignment, and just kept screwing.

Your lens doesn't get a lot of love in the Forum review (Takumar-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) and it looks like you could get another for not very much. And, you love your A version. So, giving it away may be the best option.
08-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I couldn't think of a lens less worthy of repair (I had one, worst lens I've ever had)

Your Pentax-A version lens is likely an SMC, if you think it is sharp. The Takumar-A and the non-SMC Pentax lenses are one design, and the SMC-A version of this lens is a totally different design - much better by all accounts.

This is the Pentax SMC-A: A 28-80/3.5-4.5 | The K-Mount Page
Its optical design is 12 elements in 9 groups.

This is your broken lens: Takumar-A 28-80/3.5-4.5 | The K-Mount Page
It's 8 elements in 8 groups - so 4 glass elements less than the SMC version.

I would try to give it away, someone might want the mount or A contacts.
08-11-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even when new, the Takumar had loose focusing and zooming. Not that pleasurable to use.

08-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Those threads in your first image look cross-threaded - i.e. running at an angle with respect to the original threads. Would explain your "not level" problem!! Somebody tried to force things together with an incorrect alignment, and just kept screwing.

Your lens doesn't get a lot of love in the Forum review (Takumar-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) and it looks like you could get another for not very much. And, you love your A version. So, giving it away may be the best option.
Thank you very much Dave, I figured this would be the case but felt it should be asked anyway.
Thanks for your time and links as well.
Dinah

---------- Post added 08-12-21 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I couldn't think of a lens less worthy of repair (I had one, worst lens I've ever had)

Your Pentax-A version lens is likely an SMC, if you think it is sharp. The Takumar-A and the non-SMC Pentax lenses are one design, and the SMC-A version of this lens is a totally different design - much better by all accounts.

This is the Pentax SMC-A: A 28-80/3.5-4.5 | The K-Mount Page
Its optical design is 12 elements in 9 groups.

This is your broken lens: Takumar-A 28-80/3.5-4.5 | The K-Mount Page
It's 8 elements in 8 groups - so 4 glass elements less than the SMC version.

I would try to give it away, someone might want the mount or A contacts.
Thank you so much for your comment and the links. No the Pentax-A is not SMC but at the moment I have it on my Canon 70D and it's taking quite sharp and good images. I'll give the Takuma away - if anyone wants it at all.
Thanks again
Dinah.

---------- Post added 08-12-21 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Even when new, the Takumar had loose focusing and zooming. Not that pleasurable to use.
Thank you. I have other really good S-M-C Takumar which are superb but they were bought individually. This one came free with the camera I was after but I was curious - especially to know how it could have ended up like this which Dave explained well.
08-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Let it go. Make an ashtray or give it to the guy that makes bracelets from lens barrels. Get a bracelet in trade.

Seriously that lens is worth less effort than you have given it already. It's not at all a good optic, it's a trash build, and the Takumars of that era were only multicoated on the front of the front element and the rear of the back element.
They were built to compete with the generally craptastic third party lenses being sold as house brand lenses in chain cherry picker camera stores.
They did a very good job of lowering the bar for the garbage class optics segment.