Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC DA40 2.8 woes

This might be partly a rant, but I bought a DA40mm because "cool pancake lens" despite not knowing that it's APSC and only owning full frame/35mm cameras...

Anyway it's not in great shape, and moving the focus ring to infinity seems to bind it up, as if there's too much friction. I took it apart and it seems very free until I put the plate with the lens info on, at which point it binds up when moving to infinity focus. I can't even snug the screws up without it interfering.

Any ideas? I like it as a cool compact lens, but it cost too much to be left as a shelf ornament attached to a P30T

08-14-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
This might be partly a rant, but I bought a DA40mm because "cool pancake lens" despite not knowing that it's APSC and only owning full frame/35mm cameras...

Anyway it's not in great shape, and moving the focus ring to infinity seems to bind it up, as if there's too much friction. I took it apart and it seems very free until I put the plate with the lens info on, at which point it binds up when moving to infinity focus. I can't even snug the screws up without it interfering.

Any ideas? I like it as a cool compact lens, but it cost too much to be left as a shelf ornament attached to a P30T
believe it or not, but it will cover 35 mm quite nicely, so if you can fix it, you are in business, I know, because I have the XS version, which has the same optics
08-14-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear this! I've never taken this lens apart, so can't help with advice. I hope you can get it working. "Cool" is absolutely the right word.

By the way, I use mine on the K1 regularly. It generally performs very well, with only the extreme corners getting muddy at large apertures. I attached three uncropped images taken with DA40 + K1 in this thread. Even the shots at f/4.5 were very clean and at f/8 the corners are perfect.
08-14-2021, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

before you opened it up I would have suggested sending it back to the seller, if its condition had not been described this way...

08-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
before you opened it up I would have suggested sending it back to the seller, if its condition had not been described this way...
That would have been sensible, yes, and I envy my friends who send things back if dissatisfied, but I think I left it a week or so after buying it before really trying it out, and I'm a tinkerer...

---------- Post added 08-14-21 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Sorry to hear this! I've never taken this lens apart, so can't help with advice. I hope you can get it working. "Cool" is absolutely the right word.

By the way, I use mine on the K1 regularly. It generally performs very well, with only the extreme corners getting muddy at large apertures. I attached three uncropped images taken with DA40 + K1 in this thread. Even the shots at f/4.5 were very clean and at f/8 the corners are perfect.
These look great! I tend to shoot my K1 at F8 by default and this is my only non-telephoto AF Pentax lens so I'm glad it'll be a useful item to throw in my bag
08-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Looking down the road a bit, the Pentax-M 40/2.8 pancake is of similar optical design, covers FF, has an aperture ring, and is only a little less compact than the two DA 40/2.8 variants. If might be worth finding a copy.

Steve
08-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote

Check this out for a guideline before you try to open it up.
https://imgsrc.ru/main/tape.php?ad=834217&pwd=

And as other said, Yes, it will work on a FF like the K1.

08-16-2021, 03:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Looking down the road a bit, the Pentax-M 40/2.8 pancake is of similar optical design, covers FF, has an aperture ring, and is only a little less compact than the two DA 40/2.8 variants. If might be worth finding a copy.
Steve
Here in Europe the prices of the M-version are up to around EUR 200,- and the DA is at EUR 230,-. For my film cameras I would go for the M, if I did not own the 35mm/2.8 allready. For my (recently aquired ) K-1 I would probably go for the DA instead.