Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Pentax ZX-M - unsure of exact issue :/

Hi all!

I've been searching all day for solutions here:

I have a Pentax ZX-M that I was preparing to load film into today. Upon doing that, noticed that I couldn't see through the viewfinder, and it kept making a sound I can only describe as 'attempted film advancing' despite there being no film in the camera. When I took the lens off, I noticed that the mirror was stuck in the 'up' position and I couldn't get it to move back down. Changing the batteries did not solve this issue.

Just a few minutes ago, I did get the mirror to stick back into place, but the camera is still making the attempted advance noise. I tried loading some test film in, and it sounded like the film took up, but then the film icon flashed on the top screen and the number 1 never came up. When I opened the back, the film had completely wound back into the roll without any action on my part.

A couple things I should probably note:

This camera had been sitting on a shelf with a roll of film in it for several years. When I first picked it up and attempted to use it again, I noticed that somehow, a piece of black gaffing tape had gotten stuck to the film roll and was preventing it from advancing. I had to pry about half a roll of film out of the camera in order to remove this damaged roll. This was maybe 2-3 weeks ago, but the camera has worked since then, so I'm unsure what would have changed.

I've already been told by a couple of outlets here in NYC that they cannot service this camera. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I know this camera is not very well regarded, but it has a lot of sentimental value for me and I'd like to get it working again if I can.

08-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is often caused by the mirror gear failing. That gear is what moves the mirror up and down, and it's made of plastic that fails. There can be partial failure, I've had a ZX-L that would only do it once every 5-20 shots (quite randomly but progressively worse), still enough to ruin a roll. You could try to find a replacement gear, either as a spare part (new make, not original), or from a another camera.
08-30-2021, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ZX/MZ models have a motor with plastic gear that often fails.
As mentioned when this occurs camera will become non-functional.

Unfortunately this is the Achilles heel of this line of Pentax camera bodies.
Pentax made a replacement motor with metal gear but it is no longer available.

There are several threads in the Pentax Film SLR forum about this problem.
Even if you can find someone to perform repair it will likely be uneconomical.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-30-2021 at 03:27 PM.
09-01-2021, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I'm on my 3rd ZX-M and it's going strong, but the first two suffered this issue.

There is a chap in Poland who manufactures brass gears, for various uses, and several people on here have posted the required measurements.

I ordered a couple of the gears a while back and they were ~ $30, but never could find anyone willing to install one for me. At some point I'm going to dismantle one of the broken ones and try the install myself. Basically it involves pressing the new gear onto the existing motor shaft, like people often do with RC cars......

09-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I'm on my 3rd ZX-M and it's going strong, but the first two suffered this issue.

There is a chap in Poland who manufactures brass gears, for various uses, and several people on here have posted the required measurements.

I ordered a couple of the gears a while back and they were ~ $30, but never could find anyone willing to install one for me. At some point I'm going to dismantle one of the broken ones and try the install myself. Basically it involves pressing the new gear onto the existing motor shaft, like people often do with RC cars......
Thanks for this! Do you happen to know if this person is still around/selling these parts? (and where I'd find the measurements/info on the self repair?) I've reached a dead end in looking for someone to actually work on the camera itself, and also have been told that a new body isn't worth spending more than maybe $60 max on, which I also don't see anywhere right now.
09-02-2021, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lalashoots Quote
Thanks for this! Do you happen to know if this person is still around/selling these parts? (and where I'd find the measurements/info on the self repair?) I've reached a dead end in looking for someone to actually work on the camera itself, and also have been told that a new body isn't worth spending more than maybe $60 max on, which I also don't see anywhere right now.
I ordered them a few months ago. I'll see if I can find the links on my computer when I get home.
09-02-2021, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Here’s what I found in an old thread I have bookmarked

If you order you must change the drill/hole diameter to 1.5 mm
Change the width to 2.0 mm
and the material to brass

kkpmo - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

Page 4 of this thread

MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

09-02-2021, 07:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Here’s what I found in an old thread I have bookmarked

If you order you must change the drill/hole diameter to 1.5 mm
Change the width to 2.0 mm
and the material to brass

kkpmo - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

Page 4 of this thread

MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Thank you so much! Just a quick question, so I'm 100% clear - my camera is the ZX-M and this seems to be referencing the MZ5n. Would this process be entirely similar? (Including the piece I'd need to order?) Or should I be looking for something that actually speaks directly to my model?
09-03-2021, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Thank you so much! Just a quick question, so I'm 100% clear - my camera is the ZX-M and this seems to be referencing the MZ5n. Would this process be entirely similar? (Including the piece I'd need to order?) Or should I be looking for something that actually speaks directly to my model?
I'm honestly not 100% certain, but I assume that most of the ZX series shares common parts.

I've not had one apart, but I plan on attempting this fix sometime this winter.
09-03-2021, 04:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Grey’s will repair ZX cameras, I do not know if they use a plastic or metal replacement. He seems to have raised his prices in the last year to $65 plus shipping, it used to be $50…

Garry's Camera Repair
09-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Grey’s will repair ZX cameras, I do not know if they use a plastic or metal replacement. He seems to have raised his prices in the last year to $65 plus shipping, it used to be $50…

Garry's Camera Repair
I talked to Garry a few months ago and he wasn't able to get the parts at that point. He said he could install parts if I provided them, but probably couldn't guarantee the work if the parts were used.

Last edited by trixtroll; 09-03-2021 at 07:33 AM.
09-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
I'm honestly not 100% certain, but I assume that most of the ZX series shares common parts.

I've not had one apart, but I plan on attempting this fix sometime this winter.

Appreciate this info! I'll likely order the part and try to work up the courage. If you manage to make the fix, please do let me know how it goes!
09-03-2021, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #13

NSB-Tekunos in Japan will will repair ZX/MZ cameras. The cost with shipping is likely to be higher than s domestic shop, but they do repair these.

Repair report - good experience with NSB-Tekunos repair - PentaxForums.com