Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 327 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #181

I almost want to comment - How dare you!!!

Timeline Photos

10-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #182
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
"Resistant" or "totally resistant" are meaningless words without a scientific definition;
IP ratings are the definition, Don. That's what they're for. To guarantee the end user, a specification for how waterproof a product is.

The current iPhone is certified as IP68.

If you buy a Canon or Sony or Pentax, they do not come with such a rating, there is no certifiable claim of any degree of the design being waterproof, so there's no basis for dropping one into a pool and seeing what happens.

See below:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/how-waterproof-is-your-phone-what-ip68-ip67...ndroid-iphone/
10-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Further to my previous post (#175), I don't know what to say now...

Here's a caution from the Operating Manual for the Ricoh WG-70, a waterproof camera rated at IPX8: "Avoid contact with garbage, mud, sand, dust, water, toxic gases, or salt. These could cause the camera to breakdown. Wipe the camera to dry off any rain or water drops." (my emphasis)

There are other guidance points and cautions in the manual for the WG-70 concerning underwater use, but this specific caution is identical to the one in the K-3 Mark III manual.

So, use the WG-70 underwater at depths to 14 m for 2 hours, but avoid contact with water. Okay.

I don't mean to start a discussion about Ricoh Imaging's waterproof compacts, but just to note the inconsistencies.

- Craig
Well, Craig, I think people genuinely don't understand the hazards of water.

If you buy a customized underwater housing for more than a thousand dollars to go diving with, look what you've got to do to look after it. That includes annual replacement and maintenance of the seals by experts. Rubber perishes and is abraded away by use. None of the 'waterproof' watches I had as a kid lasted more than a year of beach and pool use . Eventually, water got past the gaskets which shrank over time.

Underwater Housing Maintenance tips, Camera fogging,O-ring care, Dome port scratches - Underwater Photography Guide
10-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One would likely not have any problem with a waterproof camera if they keep it away from "water".

These "manuals" , and their warnings are likely written by the lowest level employees in the company- and no doubt do not translate particularly well from the original Japanese.

10-05-2021, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #185

By putting the camera in a dry bag it would seem to me the OP made the assumption that the gear was not waterproof.
10-06-2021, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
By putting the camera in a dry bag it would seem to me the OP made the assumption that the gear was not waterproof.
Hi. To your point, I know the camera was not "water proof," but was billed as being "weather resistant." My goal was to keep the camera as dry as possible since I knew I was taking it to a location where it was likely get wet. The bag was to provide another layer of protection, and in the event it became clear during the trip that wasn't I going to be able to use it safely, to have a safe place to store it until the trip was over.

Last edited by tcwilson; 10-07-2021 at 07:26 AM. Reason: grammer, spelling
10-06-2021, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #187
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tcwilson Quote
Hi. To you point, I know the camera was not "water proof," but was billed as being "weather resistant." My goal was to keep the camera as dry as possible since I knew I was taking it to a location when it likely get wet. The bag was provide another layer of protection, and in the event it became clear during the trip that wasn't I going to be able to use it safely, to have a safe place to store it until the trip was over.
So, our fellow member Normhead actually runs extended canoe trips for tourists in the Canadian wilderness. I think he's a fan of Pelican cases.

Even then, the maintenance of them includes: "Lubricate the hinges and O-ring using a silicone based lubricant. The patented Pelican O-ring seals the case to maintain the integrity of the water-tight seal. It runs along the inside lip of the case. Regularly lubricating these areas of the Pelican case will ensure a long life for your case."

Anything exposed to water with openings requires seals, and seals (like on the lens mount, SD card or battery recess openings) require checking, lubing and scheduled replacement. Who does that to their camera?

Last edited by clackers; 10-06-2021 at 03:29 PM.
10-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that I got my finger on an FF (K-1) everybody is saying stick to APS-C ???
10-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I don't see that "everybody" has that opinion. The formats have their own advantages and disadvantages- depends on what "you" want to do.
Aps-c is for sure adequate for a high percentage of photos and users- but that is also for sure not everyone.
10-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #190
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Not at all. Shoot what works best for you! Both formats offer advantages and disadvantages compared to the other. Use-cases and personal preferences dictate which is the better format for each photographer; but sometimes, even those factors don't matter as much as simply shooting what you want to....
10-07-2021, 10:33 AM - 3 Likes   #191
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

The key is to have fun with your photography

Regardless of the equipment you choose
10-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #192
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Who said that, mate?
10-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you mean to post this in another thread?
10-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely not everybody

I own a K1-II and wouldn't go back to APS-C . I really love this FF camera and it's beautiful pictures and superb performance. Upgraded my DA* 60-250 to FF and love the performance of this beautiful lens in combination with the K1-II.

Not a bad word of course about APS-C and the flag-ship K3-III, but i stick to my FF camera.
10-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #195
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Absolutely not everybody

I own a K1-II and wouldn't go back to APS-C . I really love this FF camera and it's beautiful pictures and superb performance. Upgraded my DA* 60-250 to FF and love the performance of this beautiful lens in combination with the K1-II.

Not a bad word of course about APS-C and the flag-ship K3-III, but i stick to my FF camera.

I had to take some pictures of workers in company which is making clothes and at that time my K-1 was couped with D-FA* 70-200 2.8 lens and K-3 with D-FA* 50 1.4. I was thinking to just swap lenses and go with K-1 and 50 as it is wider but laziness took over and I picked up K-3 with 50mm. Still came home with just astonishing results, it was like 75mm, near to 85, took very pleasing photos. But yes, no matter what kind of lens you put in front of its sensor, K-1 will be always better than K-3 in terms of image quality, dynamic range etc...
Closed Thread