Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

K-3ii stabilization problems

The in-camera stabilization isn't working on my k-3ii. It won't even do a dust removal. Any easy fixes or do I have to have it repaired? Any guesstimates on how much it will cost if I have to have it repaired? Thanks in advamce.

10-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest first doing a system reset from the menus. If that doesn't do it, upgrade to the latest firmware. If you are already on the latest, reload it anyway. This will ensure that it is not a firmware problem. If it still doesn't help, then it is likely a hardware problem and will need to go in for repair.
10-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by weaveer91 Quote
The in-camera stabilization isn't working on my k-3ii. It won't even do a dust removal. Any easy fixes or do I have to have it repaired? Any guesstimates on how much it will cost if I have to have it repaired? Thanks in advamce.
In the USA Precision camera gives a flat estimate for camera repairs. A k-1 is about $450 to give you some idea. Check their website.
10-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How did you discover the fault? Camera shake in your images or an error message?

10-23-2021, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The in-camera stabilization isn't working on my k-3ii. It won't even do a dust removal. ...
As far as I know, "Dust removal" feature is a gimmick, I hope you didn't come to the conclusion because of this feature.
It is incapable of shake off big or small dust on the sensor, both on my K5 and K3.

Does the SR make a small humming noise when you turn it on with Live View? Put it next to an ear and turn the LV on/off.
When the LV + SR are on, it should make a small hum. If it does, It should be an indication the SR is working.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-23-2021 at 09:43 PM.
10-24-2021, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
As far as I know, "Dust removal" feature is a gimmick, I hope you didn't come to the conclusion because of this feature.
It is incapable of shake off big or small dust on the sensor, both on my K5 and K3.

Does the SR make a small humming noise when you turn it on with Live View? Put it next to an ear and turn the LV on/off.
When the LV + SR are on, it should make a small hum. If it does, It should be an indication the SR is working.
I find it works rather well most of the time. (K-3 and KP in particular)
10-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

K3 II do not use image stabilization for sensor cleaning. It use a piezoelectric element on the sensor för sensor cleaning.
It can be difficult hear when it is in use.

10-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
How did you discover the fault? Camera shake in your images or an error message?
Camera shake in my images. I don't have the steadiest hands in the world, but image stabilization usually keeps most of my images clear. Now if seems to always come up a little blurry. Doesn't matter what lens. Unless I push my shutter speed way up, the pictures are slightly blurry.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 01:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
K3 II do not use image stabilization for sensor cleaning. It use a piezoelectric element on the sensor för sensor cleaning.
It can be difficult hear when it is in use.
I was not aware of that. I thought it used stabilization like my k-50 used to.
10-24-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera shake in my images. I don't have the steadiest hands in the world, but image stabilization usually keeps most of my images clear. Now if seems to always come up a little blurry. Doesn't matter what lens. Unless I push my shutter speed way up, the pictures are slightly blurry.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 01:38 PM ----------

I was not aware of that. I thought it used stabilization like my k-50 used to.
Put the camera in live view and move it around. You should hear the stabilization chattering around.

K-3 and newer uses ultrasonic dust removal.
10-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Put the camera in live view and move it around. You should hear the stabilization chattering around.
Okay, just checked my K-3 and do hear the "chattering." Should you not hear that as well when you half-press the shutter and do exposure/focus lock, or does it not engage until shutter release?
10-24-2021, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
Okay, just checked my K-3 and do hear the "chattering." Should you not hear that as well when you half-press the shutter and do exposure/focus lock, or does it not engage until shutter release?
It’s doing anything until the mirror is up as far as I know.
10-25-2021, 02:12 AM   #12

The obvious question is could SR have been accidentally disabled by settings changes?

Precision's pre-estimate is $341.50 (shipping included). This is only a pre-estimate without evaluating the equipment. It could be more or could be less depending on parts and the problem. You won't be charged until you approve the actual quote for repairs and the work is done and ready to ship.