Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3ii recall in 2015

Does anyone know what they fixed when the recalled K-3ii cameras were sent in for repair? That was back in 2015. I think most people were just able to return their cameras which fell within the affected batch but I know some were repaired. The impression was that it was a simple fix. I can speculate but I am curious if anyone has any direct info. Thanks.

11-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #2

There was a problem with the power off on an early batch within a serial number range:

K3II Notice and Manufacturing Batch Sizes - PentaxForums.com

Here's an archived copy of the press release:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150714212758/http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/a...2%80%99_Notice
11-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Notanumber. What I am interested in is if anyone knows what caused the issue. It was easily fixed by Ricoh and soon disappeared from the discussions.
11-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks, Notanumber. What I am interested in is if anyone knows what caused the issue. It was easily fixed by Ricoh and soon disappeared from the discussions.
Is your question related to the K-3II that you owned? Were you ever able to arrange for it to be checked/fixed/replaced?

K3II Notice and Manufacturing Batch Sizes - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Steve

11-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #5

Other than the press release Ricoh was tight-lipped about the issue as usual. The fix could be anything from replacing the power switch to swapping out the mainboard. Since Ricoh won't sell parts knowing what to replace won't do you much good unless you cannibalize another body for parts.
11-06-2021, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is your question related to the K-3II that you owned? Were you ever able to arrange for it to be checked/fixed/replaced?

K3II Notice and Manufacturing Batch Sizes - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Steve
No. I was around then and am familiar with the information put out at that time. I recently picked up one with the issue (fully disclosed by seller) and I am thinking about trying to fix it myself. Neither Precision or Ricoh have responded to my inquiry about whether the recall fix is still available. That is not a problem since it has been 6 years. I have other better cameras but I always loved the K-3ii. I paid very little for this one so there is no loss.. Most of the camera works fine.
Thanks for the responses.