Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Repair of Pentax K1

I am distressed by my lack of options to have my Pentax K1 repaired. CRIS Camera in Chandler Arizona used to repair Pentax cameras.
Pentax will not sell parts to them now. Is it really possibe that Precision Camera in Connecticut is the only place I can get my camera repaired?
Is this even legal?

11-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why would this arrangement not be legal?
11-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Repair

Illegal tying arrangement in restraint of trade. Violation of Federal Anti Trust laws.
11-08-2021, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by markduq Quote
Precision Camera in Connecticut is the only place I can get my camera repaired?
It is not the only place to get the camera repaired (see this list), however it is the only factory-authorized repair facility in the US, and typically the best place to take newer cameras. Other shops do get access to parts but may not offer a full range of services.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2021, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Illegal tying arrangement in restraint of trade. Violation of Federal Anti Trust laws.
Do you wish to get your camera repaired or do you just wish to make a fuss claiming someone has violated your rights ?

You seriously want Pentax to establish a repair centre in every state in the USA ? Or perhaps every town ?

Nuts

Last edited by pschlute; 11-08-2021 at 01:04 PM.
11-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Nope, they get around it by back orders. Funny how only the dealers get parts shipped. Nothing new as that what it has always been.
I was independent and had a VHI account. As I had factory fixtures I could order anything that many other shops couldn’t get.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am distressed by my lack of options to have my Pentax K1 repaired. CRIS Camera in Chandler Arizona used to repair Pentax cameras.
Pentax will not sell parts to them now. Is it really possibe that Precision Camera in Connecticut is the only place I can get my camera repaired?
Is this even legal?
The reality is this is the main choice. Some other places as Adam has linked may be able to do non warranty work - assuming parts availability.

The situation isn’t much different in other brands. Many of the other brands even use the same vendor.

11-09-2021, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Do you wish to get your camera repaired or do you just wish to make a fuss claiming someone has violated your rights ?

You seriously want Pentax to establish a repair centre in every state in the USA ? Or perhaps every town ?

Nuts
Wrong side of the bed?
11-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax does not sell parts to dealers in the US. Nikon doesn't either. Although with Nikon you can set yourself up as an authorized service center for 250K and buy whatever parts you want. If you sell parts they will stop selling to you. Stores in the US buy Nikon parts from Canada (just don't tell anyone). Kind of messed up.
11-10-2021, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Wrong side of the bed?
No, wrong side of the ocean... Here in Europe there are plenty to choose from.