Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2021, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #16

As I recall several years ago Precision was charging $175-250 USD for out of warranty repairs for this problem in the K-50. Giving inflation and currency conversion $300 CAD would not be out of line.

12-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This issue harms the Pentax base twice: by forcing repairs on an underused camera -and- by forcing owners to raid the earlier white-solenoid models and take functional bodies out of the used market.

I just bought an EX Ks2 body from mpb and it's DOA. I knew it would need repair sooner or later, but 'immediately' did not come to mind. I have a K-7 to use while I ponder the next move.
12-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cowlitzJim Quote
This issue harms the Pentax base twice: by forcing repairs on an underused camera -and- by forcing owners to raid the earlier white-solenoid models and take functional bodies out of the used market.

I just bought an EX Ks2 body from mpb and it's DOA. I knew it would need repair sooner or later, but 'immediately' did not come to mind. I have a K-7 to use while I ponder the next move.
Send it back to mpb as DOA?

Steve
12-01-2021, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eorrbit Quote
Does $300 seem way out of ballbark for a solenoid replacement?
I guess these are canadian dollars?
Still too expensive. The work involved for an experienced engineer, having the tools ready and thus being well prepared: 20min.

No costs for sanding/filing, so no parts costs.

This is my first time having to send out a repair.
Do you happen to know from experience if they would communicate directly with customers, or do they only deal with the shop that sends them items?
Cheers
I' afraid I have no idea

12-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
If I understand you correctly, are you suggesting that the repair centre simply filed or sanded the plunger, but charged the customer for a new part (the control block) and possibly extra labour? Maybe I misunderstood.

As a point of reference, I believe that PF member SharkyCA had a similar diaphragm control problem in their K-70, and the repair involved the replacement of the complete control block, performed by the same Canadian repair centre I would think. It seems that they returned the original block to SharkyCA. Pentax K-70 dark photos - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
I have explained that HERE

But what is more important:
If .... which is not the case here ... but if the complete block would have been replaced, overexposure is not possible!
So no, you didn't misunderstand at all, they simply did the most cheap repair (or inserted a SLR solenoid which I daubt) and charged extra labour and extra parts.
This is not premature guessing but logic due to experience.
It is simply a case of fraud but they will of course find some different answer because they not have the defunct K-S2 and can invent all sorts of answers why it went wrong. And will do so.
12-02-2021, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #21

Diaphragm/Aperture control block replaced:

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Happy overall. They received my K-50 on 1/6/15, and I got it back yesterday, so not horrible time, considering the distance between the two coasts. They replaced a "diaphragm block" (looked it up, and it seems to have something to do with the aperture assembly), and cleaned the camera inside and out -- including the inside of my VF (very cool, because I had some crap in there). They also recalibrated the AF. The only thing I didn't like, was that there was zero communication along the way. I followed the progress on the "repair tracker" on their website, and that was my only link to knowing if anything was even going on. Everything was automated. I checked the status one morning,; it hadn't changed; was going to call them when I got home from work; checked the status again -- and there was a tracking number for shipping. I would hope that if there had been some delay, there would have been something along the lines of human communication, but we never got to that point, so no harm -- no foul.
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Under "Description of Parts Used" they stated "Aperture control Assy., resistor chip." Total price: $0.00.
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Just a quick clarification about the "diaphragm control block" in the K-70, mine was repaired by Sun Camera an authorized service center for Pentax in Canada, they replaced the "control block" and sent me back the "used part" please see image

The control block from my camera appears to be the G100 as available from US Camera Pentax 77860-G0100 Diaphragm Control Block | K-S2 | K-30 | K-50 | PartsUSCamera
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
FYI. My K-70 arrived today from repair at Precision Camera. They replaced the Aperture Block Assy. cleaned the camera, and reset to factory settings. Repair cost including tax was $245.67. Shipping to and back was extra. First test seems to be like new.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The battery latch on the inside of my K-50 broke, it would still work since the door held it in place, but I thought I should send it in since it's still under the extended warranty for a few months. So I sent it in, they received it April 4th, they called on April 11 and said they had to order parts that would not arrive until May 12. I kind of expected that because it seems like a strange part to break. Anyway, I checked the status nearly every day and on May 4 it was out of repair and shipped. I received it today and everything looks good and got another surprise. Besides fixing the latch (which they call a battery hook(, thye upgraded the firmware to 1.10 (I had not done this since I don't have a PLM lens), tested autofocus - recalibrate and realignment, complete cleaning (internal-external) and optical system, and replaced the diaphragm control block assembly. I have had no problems with the aperture and it was not requested. So either they have a way to test it to see if it's going to fail, or they are just replacing them all now. Anyway, my quick tests all come out good, I'll have to do some actual shooting to make tsure autofocus calibration is good. I know they actually did clean it since I no longer have a little dust in the viewfinder. It would have been nice to have it back a little quicker, but I wasn't too concerned since I have a K-30.

Repaired by Precision for aperture problems, poster did not state what was replaced:

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
A follow up since I'm going to point to this thread when others encounter this aperture control block problem.
Symptoms can be varied including dark viewfinder, difficulty turning on/off, inaccurate exposures if the shutter does manage to fire, battery problems...

As you can read above, mine was still under warranty, so I sent it in to Precision Camera. (Cf. directions in post #3 above) I received it back in 11 days, but actually I sent was a different K-30. (i.e., different serial number) I'm not complaining. The one I sent in had over 14,000 actuations. The one they sent to me had less than 50.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My K-50 failed at about 6 months and was repaired and worked since the repair. I have since traded it but I never doubted it after the repair. The number of people on the forums with no problems with the K30/K50 makes me think there are a few lemons but it isn't the rule. I could be wrong but I wouldn't worry too much.

QuoteOriginally posted by GuitarGuru76 Quote
Quick Phone Photo of The KS- crew. Finally back from repair, at Precision Camera. Yes, It's a Storm-trooper KS-1..
Time to break them in over the weekend.
QuoteOriginally posted by GuitarGuru76 Quote
Both had bad screens. and K-S2 had aperture block issue.
So it would seem that in North America the preferred method of repair by Ricoh is to replace the entire assembly.

What the procedure in Europe, Asia and Australia is I couldn't say. As I recall none of the reports of "factory" repairs from Australia, UK, France or the Netherlands stated what was replaced. I don't recall any reports from Germany about Ricoh authorized repairs on the problem.
12-02-2021, 01:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So it would seem that in North America the preferred method of repair by Ricoh is to replace the entire assembly.
It would seem, but is it really what is done?
Who knows!

In reality it is the most idiotic approach to replace the diaphragm control block!

The problem is to bring that near to any person not having done that work themselves, i.e. just knowing about it "in theory"!

1. The culprit is just the solenoid. If the sparkplugs of your car are not functioning anymore, you don't replace the whole engine!
2. The work to replace the whole block is way way more intensive (and with risk to do more harm than good) and 100% unnecessary....

again: sparkplugs have aged.... whole engine replaced?

If under warranty: Yes, it brings money!*

But what is very easy is to swap the solenoid but claim that one has swapped the complete block.
Nobody is going to disassemble that Pentax to check!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What the procedure in Europe, Asia and Australia is I couldn't say. As I recall none of the reports of "factory" repairs from Australia, UK, France or the Netherlands stated what was replaced. I don't recall any reports from Germany about Ricoh authorized repairs on the problem.
Which repairs from France or Netherlands do or can you recall.
Ricoh France knows that it was just the solenoid and that in the K70 a modified solenoid was used.

And which authorized repairs from Germany do you know?
Based on which evidence?

Invoices going back to 2018 from "authorized repairs" in Germany state:

Ausgeführte Servicetaetigkeiten:
"Kamera überprueft, Magnet erneuert; Blendensteuerung repariert."

translated:

Service activities carried out:
"Check of camera, replacement of magnet, repair of aperturecontrol"

I had some of those on my workbench after they failed again.

The solenoid had been changed. That was all.

I can tell when the complete diaphragm control block had been replaced.
Simply because the screw for the solenoid is then left instead of right!
Also usually the date of manufacture is written on the block and very few other parts slightly differ.
I also can tell by the laquer on the solenoid-fixing screw and on the soldering itself.

Again: The work involved to change the whole block literally is about the same if you change the engine of a car when just he sparkplugs need to be replaced!
Just that an engine can really be old, but the control-block doesn't really age.

I just don't believe in fairy-tales!

* With a little more detailed check:
1. K50 resrandall: Warranty
2. K70 OldChe: Warranty
3. SharkyCA: This was a true exchange of the complete block and not under warranty
4. gump: replacement of Assy: no warranty but € 245,67
when it could have been done within 20min.
5. ramseybuckeye: Warranty
6. mgvh: Warranty
7. UncleVanya: Warranty

So up to here we have 7 cases and 5 done under warranty.

8. GuitarGuru76: Worth to check the complete story, not the best advertisement for precision and their work:
a) K-S1 with shuttercount of just 800 had several faults:
K-S1 LCD Failure - PentaxForums.com
K-S1 LCD Failure - PentaxForums.com
it came back "terribly treated by precision" and had to be repaired again. A almost new K-S1 came back and looked rough and aged.
b) K-S2 bought 2-nd hand in the forum. After shuttercount 2000 failed. Repair by precison for 180$ not on warranty
So they charge $ 248 for swap of the complete "assy", wonder what was really done for $ 180 !?!
could be anything, nobody checked/disassembled their works!

Except with SharkyCA's K70 we don't know what really was replaced!

By the way: It is just USCameras.com not selling the single solenoid but only the complete block!
Ricoh doesn't sell to private people anyway. So the argument that the solenoid is not available: not only thin ice but actually steam
Of course the solenoid itself is available to the official repair places!

Last edited by photogem; 12-02-2021 at 03:35 AM.
12-02-2021, 03:43 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TThis issue harms the Pentax base twice: by forcing repairs on an underused camera...
Well, luckily since Dec. 2015 far less a problem.
Date of manufacture you can check here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

But sadly ABF happens more often on cameras with low shuttercount.

T.... -and- by forcing owners to raid the earlier white-solenoid models and take functional bodies out of the used market.
Well, the DSLR Japan solenoid is offered on ebay for a sensible price by a seller called potmano.
So no need to slaughter functional bodies.

TI just bought an EX Ks2 body from mpb and it's DOA. I knew it would need repair sooner or later, but 'immediately' did not come to mind. I have a K-7 to use while I ponder the next move.
If it was that recent you might have some warranty. Contact mpb, send them the link of this discussion!
Get a reduction, buy the solenoid and DIY:
Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S2 (and K-70) - PentaxForums.com
It's pretty easy!
12-02-2021, 05:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My repair listed the aperture control block. I have no proof they did that but that’s what they said (Precision).
12-02-2021, 06:03 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My repair listed the aperture control block. I have no proof they did that but that’s what they said (Precision).
It was a warranty repair and in 2016 just 6 month after you purchased it.
For warranty repairs the authorized repairplace gets paid and then they chose of course what brings the most money into the house.
12-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It is simply a case of fraud but they will of course find some different answer because they not have the defunct K-S2 and can invent all sorts of answers why it went wrong. And will do so.
photogem, thanks for your honesty and sharing your experience through this thread. It's disappointing (though helpful) to hear, and I wish I had done more research to ensure they fixed it properly (or attempt myself). But, busy working mom life and all that.

Do I have any recourse here? I've contacted my local shop (McBain Camera) to confirm it's gone to Sun, and to request that they confirm exactly the work done, conveying my doubts about the accuracy of proper approach. I suppose whether or not the work they did was unnecessary beyond scope, it sounds from others like it might be standard practice here in NA.

But I'm most concerned about your theory that they didn't actually do the work they claimed. Am I correct in understanding that all signs point to them but lying about the control unit replacement? Unfortunately I can't prove this with conjecture or "that's what someone on the internet thinks." It's kind of their word against mine. I think I can only wait and see at this point, hoping it comes back fixed.
12-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

DOA or Aperture Block Failure? Aperture block failure will still work with aperture rings...

Either way I would just send it back. Or if you are handy with a solder gun and are not afraid to work on a camera, tell mpb you'll fix it for the going rate (180 dollars). Then get the 45 dollar white solenoid from eBay and put it in the camera. Photogem was kind enough to put up a manual on how to do the fix here: Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S2 (and K-70) - PentaxForums.com

I've followed his K-S1 and K-S2 manuals and was able to get to the part successfully - my K-S2 was beyond repair but photogem's manual did get me inside the camera with no problems. I did at least replace the solenoid on it, it just didn't work anyway, it had far more issues. So I took it back out and it's the one sitting in my K-S1 right now, which is working flawlessly.
12-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by christianrock Quote
i think 300 is too much. If you wait a bit - since they are a bit hard to come by - you can buy a k-s2 for that much. I just bought one with about 1600 shutter clicks, for 228 dollars shipped.
$300 cad = $234 usd

$228 usd = $292 cad
12-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
$300 cad = $234 usd

$228 usd = $292 cad
Sorry, I missed the fact that it was Canada... yes that is a good deal then.
12-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you happen to know from experience if they would communicate directly with customers, or do they only deal with the shop that sends them items?
Cheers
It looks like Sun Camera Service contacts the sender directly to get approval to proceed with the repairs. Given that information, you should be ale to make a direct request about your repair. Whether or not they will reply in a timely manner or reply at all is another matter.

Sun Camera Service Repair process:
Sun Camera Service Ltd. - Repair Process

Sun Camera Service Contact us:
Sun Camera Service Ltd. - Contact Us

Ricoh Imaging Canada repair information: Note that the camera to be repaired must be addressed to "RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC" but the address it must be sent to is that of Sun (2150 Steeles Avenue West, Unit #5, Concord, ON, L4K 2Y7), although the phone number doesn't match the number on Sun Camera's website. The e-mail address given is Ricoh's but I don't know whether Sun replies directly.
https://www.ricoh-imaging.ca/support/repairs/

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 12-02-2021 at 12:18 PM.