Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2022, 12:23 AM   #1

Pentax Super Program (SuperA) display fade

I've just got Pentax Super Program in nice condition. It works well, but inner LCD display in viewfinder looks faded and pale. All digital are visible but it feels like at low battery.

Other display on top side is bright and contrast.

What can cause it? Oxidized contact? Degradation of liquid crystals?

Can not find any information about display repair or replacing.

02-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #2

Clean the battery contacts including the battery compartment cap. Try a new batteries.
02-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Givizub Quote
I've just got Pentax Super Program in nice condition. It works well, but inner LCD display in viewfinder looks faded and pale. All digital are visible but it feels like at low battery.

Other display on top side is bright and contrast.

What can cause it? Oxidized contact? Degradation of liquid crystals?

Can not find any information about display repair or replacing.
I purchased my “Super Program” in 1983, and used it for over twelve years, the longest time any one camera has been my primary camera.
The last time I used it {a few years ago}, I set the aperture manually because I couldn’t read the value through the viewfinder.
I would guess that the liquid crystals get tired over time, but I won’t try replacing them, because I don’t plan to use it much any more.
The camera gave me plenty of good service and deserves retirement.
The basic camera still works fine, though, as a totally manual operation, and at its age I guess I can’t expect more from it.
I personally use a film camera for ‘fun’ in any case, and ‘manual’ operation fits into that well.

Last edited by reh321; 02-13-2022 at 03:19 PM.
02-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Battery has been replaced for fresh SR44 and bottom cover cleaned, but nothing changes.
I have read about repair LCD displays in watches. Usually, it looks faded because of degradation of polarization film.

Will be appreciated, if somebody have photos of videos how this display fixed inside the camera. Can not find any information about disassambling of Super Program or Super A.

Last edited by Givizub; 02-19-2022 at 06:32 AM.
02-19-2022, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might want to look in the film camera section of the forums, a lot of the heavy film guys probably may not look over here as often, and there may be threads about similar problems.