Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K3 SD slot cover replacement

I was startled to discover today that half of the plastic sliding cover over the SD slots is missing. Still functions and latches correctly. No idea how it happened. Is this repair easily DIY? Is part easily obtained?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A426U  Photo 
02-20-2022, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UScamera.com used to sell the part. Installation does require partial disassembly of the camera, so far as I can tell by looking at past threads dealing with similar issues with other cameras such as the K-5.
But, I see they're now showing "out of stock".
Pentax 77240-A0210 Card Cover Shell K-3 | K-5 | K-7 | USCamera Parts +USCamera

You may need to make this a problem for Precision, who is the Pentax authorized repair shop.
https://www.precisioncamera.com/#services
02-20-2022, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
UScamera.com used to sell the part. Installation does require partial disassembly of the camera, so far as I can tell by looking at past threads dealing with similar issues with other cameras such as the K-5.
But, I see they're now showing "out of stock".
Pentax 77240-A0210 Card Cover Shell K-3 | K-5 | K-7 | USCamera Parts +USCamera

You may need to make this a problem for Precision, who is the Pentax authorized repair shop.
https://www.precisioncamera.com/#services
Thanks for the info! It appears Precision is a flat rate repair shop @$400 bucks I'll give it a go on my own
02-21-2022, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked back at an old thread of mine after replacing the SD slot door on my K-5 II. Unfortunately, I have no mention of (nor record here at home) of where I bought the door.

But if you find the door, here are a few hints for doing the replacement.
  • Get a very good set of miniature screwdrivers.
  • Have excellent light – everything is black.
  • There are screws everywhere – the bottom of the battery compartment, under rubber grips, etc.
  • The screws look identical, but have slightly different lengths – track each screw.
  • On the K-5 you have to completely open the case to access the hinge pin of the door. The K-3 is probably the same.
  • Take pictures of everything – especially the hinge spring & how it is positioned. I did not take photos and could have kicked myself.

Here some info I sent via PM to another board member at the time:
It is essentially removing some 21 little, teeny, tiny screws. The trick is knowing where they all are.There are four lengths of screws with the longest being about 6 to 7mm long. Pay attention to and record what screws come from where. Most of the screws will be about 3-4mm long (this is next to the shortest length).

You can see the majority of the screws, but there are some that are hidden. There are two screws up at the flash that you see only after you pop the flash up. There are two under the battery door and one at the bottom of the battery compartment. And there is one under the rubber grip on the right side (with you facing the lens) below the K-5iis logo. I think that is all the tricky ones.

The case is in three pieces – 1) bottom, 2) top and front, and 3) the back and sides. The bottom comes off first. The back/sides separates from the top/front by sliding the top up. Careful. It is a tight fit. Once the two pieces are clear of each other it is easy to slide the the back/sides away.

Both the top and the back are attached to the camera innards by electronic cable. It is very easy to remove the single flat cable from the back to camera. The connector is symmetrical, so just mark an end so you don’t put it on backwards when reassembling.

I think that is it. The wires and cables all have a “set” to them from being in one position for so long. This means they essentially will just fold into place when you are reassembling.
I hope this is some little help for you.

Last edited by AggieDad; 02-21-2022 at 02:38 PM. Reason: changed hope to help
02-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If you want to go the DIY route, email the person running USCamera Parts. They might be able to order it for you from Japan.
02-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Get a very good set of miniature screwdrivers.
These should be JIS drivers, not Philips head. I'll let someone else link the thread on this subject as I can't find it at the moment.
02-21-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
These should be JIS drivers, not Philips head. I'll let someone else link the thread on this subject as I can't find it at the moment.
perhaps this is the thread you mean

QuoteQuote:
Cross-head screws - a caution:
Posted By: pacerr, 10-22-10, 10:03 (Offline)
Those screws that look like Phillips 00 and 000 in Japanese cameras and lenses? They aren't. They're JIS cross-heads and life's a lot simpler using JIS screw driver bits on 'em.

Whether you do this only once and run into trouble, or intend to do it often, it's worth your sanity to do it with the correct JIS tools so you don't risk stripping a screw head. T-shirts should be available for those that have been there, done that! . . .
Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

02-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Good luck finding these drivers. When I have looked on Ebay, all that came up was something along the lines of 'Cross head drivers - fit Japanese screws', and I was not prepared to get them and find out they caused the issues mentioned. OK, so the K10D I intend to open is dead in the water anyway (doesn't recognise battery or adapter power), but I thought using it for practice might help should I need at some time to open another body.
02-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hmm

jis screwdriver - Bing - Shopping

seems to be a few for sale, including from Ebay

this is a set that I got a few years ago

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/JIS-Driver-Set/IF145-115?o=1
02-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks, Allen - don't seem to be many in the UK, but I'll keep looking.
02-21-2022, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Thanks, Allen - don't seem to be many in the UK, but I'll keep looking.
whoops

I didn't check where you were from

perhaps UK Amazon ?

I did check where the OP is from and that appears to be the US