Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
How about the actual manufacturers, like they used to? Pentax used to have a great repair center in Colorado.

Precision quoted me the price of a new camera to have mine repaired so of course I declined and bought a new camera. Apparently they are not interested in repairing cameras, just selling new ones. If that is how they run a repair business they should go bankrupt.
And then we have the same issue. They have to charge sufficient to cover all the costs associated with the repair or go bankrupt. Or charge more for new equipment to write off cost to repair later. We collectively demanded cheaper consumer goods so this is the other end of the bargain.

03-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How about the actual manufacturers, like they used to? Pentax used to have a great repair center in Colorado.

Precision quoted me the price of a new camera to have mine repaired so of course I declined and bought a new camera. Apparently they are not interested in repairing cameras, just selling new ones. If that is how they run a repair business they should go bankrupt.

All the manufacturers HAD regional service centers, Honeywell/Pentax was in Englewood (Denver) CO Nikon(EPOI), Minolta, Yashica, all had coastal branches. Camera stores sold equipment. Today we donít have any of those , But we do have huge mail order shops, and zero support. Precision is a independent shop still around in todayís market, choked off supply chains, small inventory of replacement parts, what has occurred is our fault, as we are cheap.
I chuckled when I saw the claim that Precision wants to sell product. As far as going bankrupt, Iím amazed they still want to do service. But letís bash them!!

Hang up and DRIVE!
03-26-2022, 04:57 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
If they don't make a profit and go bankrupt, then who repairs our cameras?
If they push prices up trying to make a profit and people don't repair their cameras (because why repair when it's cheaper to buy a new unit)... well, you see where I'm going.
03-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If they push prices up trying to make a profit and people don't repair their cameras (because why repair when it's cheaper to buy a new unit)... well, you see where I'm going.
And this is where capatilist theory and reality collide😊
But like all isms they're all doomed to being subject to human foibles and I have my fair share of these.😁

03-26-2022, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dropped my GR III and damaged the lens assembly. Sent it off to Precision and got the quote for repair today. $873.08. Seriously! I can't even come up with word to describe how frustrated and pissed of I am! As much as I love Pentax and my GRIII I seriously have to consider if I want to do business with a company that treats its customers like this. Are there any alternative choices for repair?

Can anyone provide contact info for Ricoh? They need to know that their terrible repair services are going to cost them business.
Drops, falls, etc, usually becomes an issue for the owner's household contents insurance provider. Could it be that that may be Precision's goal with providing you with that quote? Having something you can hand to your insurer? That would be my guess anyway.

Having dealt with Pentax / Ricoh's local repair agent when my K-1 got damaged, I found the whole process pretty painless, but then, my insurance company did cover most of the costs.
03-27-2022, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Drops, falls, etc, usually becomes an issue for the owner's household contents insurance provider. Could it be that that may be Precision's goal with providing you with that quote? Having something you can hand to your insurer? That would be my guess anyway.

Having dealt with Pentax / Ricoh's local repair agent when my K-1 got damaged, I found the whole process pretty painless, but then, my insurance company did cover most of the costs.
Great advice Mark! I had not considered it as a potential insurance claim. Even some credit cards offer accidental damage coverage as a free perk. Definitely worth looking to see if there are any options for making a claim.
03-27-2022, 05:20 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very sorry to hear you dropped your camera, and for the high estimate to repair

I'd be tempted to take some photos of the camera and send them to Ricoh, along with the quote you received from Precision, and a polite message asking if they feel the estimate is realisic, given that it represents the cost of an entirely new unit (which basically suggests it's a single, non-repairable module). If you're friendly and non-emotional towards them, they may (just may) step in and help... Well, that's what I'd try, at least...
contacting Ricoh probably won't do any good. I contacted them about 4 total failures of the SDM in the 60-250 that I purchased new. all they did was thank me for contacting them and sent a copy of the warranty policy. and to be honest at least Canon is just as bad if not worse, my friend I shoot with uses Canon and has had the exact same problems with a multiple failure of one lens, but when he called them the person he talked with was extremely rude. switching mounts is useless, in my opinion they are all the same. I get drop and spill warranties on everything I buy plus have a personal articles policy through my car insurance company that literally covers everything including mysterious disappearances. precision is pretty useless and takes forever but at least at no cost to me.

03-27-2022, 05:23 AM   #38
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
contacting Ricoh probably won't do any good. I contacted them about 4 total failures of the SDM in the 60-250 that I purchased new. all they did was thank me for contacting them and sent a copy of the warranty policy. and to be honest at least Canon is just as bad if not worse, my friend I shoot with uses Canon and has had the exact same problems with a multiple failure of one lens, but when he called them the person he talked with was extremely rude. switching mounts is useless, in my opinion they are all the same. I get drop and spill warranties on everything I buy plus have a personal articles policy through my car insurance company that literally covers everything including mysterious disappearances. precision is pretty useless and takes forever but at least at no cost to me.
Probably not... but worth a try, I think. Some members here have managed to get assistance from Ricoh on occasion (not for this specific issue, but others - such as warranty service just after warranty has officially expired). As I see it, there's nothing to lose by contacting them.
03-27-2022, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It probably need a new lens assembly since the lens on that type of camera isn't designed to be repaired. The lens doesn't bayonet off but requires disassembly of the camera. Some people don't like to be told "not economical to repair" and demand an explanation. The price quote you got shows what not economical to repair means. I am sorry you dropped your camera.
03-28-2022, 05:41 AM   #40

The front housing around the lens and the lens "leaves" came loose when I dropped it. I thought it was a minor problem but they want to replace the entire lens assembly $493.00 with $366.00 labor cost. If I refuse repair it cost me $58.00 to get my camera back.

And yeah, the next one I buy will be with drop protection!
I'm sorry to hear that you broke your camera. I'd be as frustrated as you if I saw a repair bill that high! However, as with anything...repair costs are always expensive. I'd probably buy a new camera to replace it...or hunt for a decently priced used one. Whatever you do...pay the $58 and get your broken camera back. You certainly wouldn't want them to use your camera for parts and profit. Take care and I wish you the best of luck.
03-28-2022, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #41
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I won't ever buy anything from them again
As indeed you've mentioned in your previous post...

Thankfully, I've been more fortunate with regard to Pentax under both Hoya and Ricoh. I'll continue to buy Pentax, but - and the same will apply for any other brands I buy, incidentally - I'll hope for but won't expect great support or timely, cost-effective repair (because, sadly, it's becoming a rare thing these days). That said, threads like this one below show that folks can and do have good experiences with Ricoh:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/439915-k-3-iii-does-n...-settings.html

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-28-2022 at 12:28 PM.
03-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

they know perfectly well they have little or no customer support.
Isn't the issue at hand the quoted cost of the repair rather than "little or no customer support?" It seems that the customer support is present in this case, but the repair cost is surprisingly high to the OP.

What would be a 'reasonable' charge for the repair in terms of parts cost and labor cost? (Reasonable from the point of view of the customer, Precision, and Ricoh Imaging)

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-28-2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: nuance
03-28-2022, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

What would be a 'reasonable' charge for the repair in terms of parts cost and labor cost? (Reasonable from the point of view of both the customer and the company (Precision))

- Craig
I for one would love to hear an answer.

To repair a camera is a real lost passion, not many went into it years ago, even fewer now. Many of my peers were educated by Uncle Sugar, But that was Nikon F, Speed Graphics, and some M Leicas. The Navy had an incredible optical shop for periscopes, binoculars, and lenses.

So my answer is on this one over $800.00 .

Hang up and DRIVE!
03-28-2022, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something not highlighted in this thread is that global shortages from Covid have driven up prices of parts and limited availability. The labor costs may be higher as well. I donít know if any other similar gear would fare better at this point in time.

Personally I hate this loss of repairable status that seems to plague many products. The cost to repair is quite opaque and abstracted from most user decisions around cost and features of gear.

I recently saw a canon 85 f1.2 L glass EF lens in a pawn shop. The lens wouldnít reliably focus. The price was tempting. However inquiry into repair costs led to the following response from all Canon authorized shops I checked: ďno parts available, lens cannot be repaired.Ē eBay users might take a chance on it so I might turn a profit but I simply passed on this as I feel it unethical not to disclose that info and I suspect this info would dramatically push down sales price of even a parts lens.
03-28-2022, 02:51 PM - 5 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree with OP for two reasons: first that camera sells new from Ricoh for about nine hundred bucks right now, so how could it possibly be worth over eight hundred to fix one? Do they have to replace everything that's inside the camera? Secondly, "right to repair" laws have not yet gone into place as a global thing in the U.S., so Precision is exploiting its dominant market power by virtue of a monopoly on parts and service because Ricoh will only provide parts and manuals to them. In other words, using monopoly power to rip off consumers.

And, by the way, @sibyrnes, they know perfectly well they have little or no customer support. I won't ever buy anything from them again for that one reason, after having been burned several times.
It could be that the camera is really uneconomical to fix. Maybe, as I pointed out prior, the "repair cost" is really replacement cost.
It can also be that parts are not available, due to the global chip shortage or other supply issues, perhaps. So, maybe it's replacement for that reason.
It can also be that making something in a factory is cheap, but repairing something small and complex is not.

As example, when my K-1ii needed to have the cracked top cover replaced, the camera could not be repaired by the service agent here because they did not have the necessary tools or spares and it had to be sent to Japan for repair. That, naturally, took months as practically the whole world was in Covid lockdown turmoil. And, it cost what it cost, which, for the K-1ii was $590 + $155 freight to Japan = $745.00 I have no doubt that the top cover would cost a fraction of that, but that's not the point. The point is that someone with the required skills and correct tools had to take the camera apart, fit the new part, check the whole camera for other damage due to the bump and recalibrate the camera before sending it back to me in New Zealand. Even if I could buy the top cover, I could not buy (nor would I want to buy) the testing rig hardware and software and other tools required to test the camera and calibrate it after repair.

Calling out the "right of repair" laws does not change the fact that we're dealing with intricate high precision optical instruments with miniaturized parts and specialized equipment needed to repair. In much the same way as my mobile phone is not economical to repair, the same probably holds true for many cameras. I think it's a bit unfair of you to accuse Precision or Ricoh of "ripping off customers" as you have done here.

Just my two cents worth. (Or $745 worth - well, would have been if I did not make an insurance claim, so really $250 worth)

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-28-2022 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo