Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 109 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2022, 02:51 PM - 5 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I have to agree with OP for two reasons: first that camera sells new from Ricoh for about nine hundred bucks right now, so how could it possibly be worth over eight hundred to fix one? Do they have to replace everything that's inside the camera? Secondly, "right to repair" laws have not yet gone into place as a global thing in the U.S., so Precision is exploiting its dominant market power by virtue of a monopoly on parts and service because Ricoh will only provide parts and manuals to them. In other words, using monopoly power to rip off consumers.

And, by the way, @sibyrnes, they know perfectly well they have little or no customer support. I won't ever buy anything from them again for that one reason, after having been burned several times.
It could be that the camera is really uneconomical to fix. Maybe, as I pointed out prior, the "repair cost" is really replacement cost.
It can also be that parts are not available, due to the global chip shortage or other supply issues, perhaps. So, maybe it's replacement for that reason.
It can also be that making something in a factory is cheap, but repairing something small and complex is not.

As example, when my K-1ii needed to have the cracked top cover replaced, the camera could not be repaired by the service agent here because they did not have the necessary tools or spares and it had to be sent to Japan for repair. That, naturally, took months as practically the whole world was in Covid lockdown turmoil. And, it cost what it cost, which, for the K-1ii was $590 + $155 freight to Japan = $745.00 I have no doubt that the top cover would cost a fraction of that, but that's not the point. The point is that someone with the required skills and correct tools had to take the camera apart, fit the new part, check the whole camera for other damage due to the bump and recalibrate the camera before sending it back to me in New Zealand. Even if I could buy the top cover, I could not buy (nor would I want to buy) the testing rig hardware and software and other tools required to test the camera and calibrate it after repair.

Calling out the "right of repair" laws does not change the fact that we're dealing with intricate high precision optical instruments with miniaturized parts and specialized equipment needed to repair. In much the same way as my mobile phone is not economical to repair, the same probably holds true for many cameras. I think it's a bit unfair of you to accuse Precision or Ricoh of "ripping off customers" as you have done here.

Just my two cents worth. (Or $745 worth - well, would have been if I did not make an insurance claim, so really $250 worth)

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-28-2022 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
03-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
The front housing around the lens and the lens "leaves" came loose when I dropped it.
Hi @sibyrnes, just out of curiosity, was your damage similar to the ones reported here?

Lens cover broken Ricoh GR iii - PentaxForums.com

https://www.reddit.com/r/ricohGR/comments/dxtwst/ricoh_gr3_lens_cover_fell_off/

I'm just wondering whether it was the outer cover and lens shield that broke, or the lens diaphragm leaves deeper inside the camera?

- Craig
03-29-2022, 09:22 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hi @sibyrnes, just out of curiosity, was your damage similar to the ones reported here?

Lens cover broken Ricoh GR iii - PentaxForums.com

Ricoh GR3 lens cover fell off : ricohGR

I'm just wondering whether it was the outer cover and lens shield that broke, or the lens diaphragm leaves deeper inside the camera?

- Craig
Yes, that's the damage - just the outer cover. The camera was in a Zing Neoprene case and the lens was retracted with the camera turned off when dropped. It's not like it was run over by a truck or something. It appeared to have minor damage and it might still function. When I get the camera back I will test it and post photos of the damage here.
03-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appeared to have minor damage and it might still function. When I get the camera back I will test it and post photos of the damage here.
Thanks. It would be great if you would post a few pictures of the camera -- might be helpful to other owners who experience a similar breakage. From the examples I've found online, the front bezel and lens protection mechanism seems to be a weak point. I wonder if it's a candidate for a DIY repair.

- Craig

03-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, that's the damage - just the outer cover. The camera was in a Zing Neoprene case and the lens was retracted with the camera turned off when dropped. It's not like it was run over by a truck or something. It appeared to have minor damage and it might still function. When I get the camera back I will test it and post photos of the damage here.
Why did you not test/check it out before you sent it to PCR ? That would seem to be the normal order of evaluation.
03-29-2022, 11:03 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Why did you not test/check it out before you sent it to PCR ? That would seem to be the normal order of evaluation.
I know! when I booted it up it said "Lens Error". I considered working on it but I know how that has turned out for me in past I thought instead of causing more damage I would send it in and let the "pros" look at it and perform what appeared to be a very simple repair. I had no idea the cost would be the same as a new camera!
03-29-2022, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know! when I booted it up it said "Lens Error". I considered working on it but I know how that has turned out for me in past I thought instead of causing more damage I would send it in and let the "pros" look at it and perform what appeared to be a very simple repair. I had no idea the cost would be the same as a new camera!
LOL! I'm with ya. I don't tell my plumber how to fix my pipes even tho I could probably bumble thru and do it myself. Probably. Camera? My technician skills go only so far as a #2 Phillips will take me

03-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I dropped my GR III and damaged the lens assembly. Sent it off to Precision and got the quote for repair today. $873.08. Seriously! I can't even come up with word to describe how frustrated and pissed of I am! As much as I love Pentax and my GRIII I seriously have to consider if I want to do business with a company that treats its customers like this. Are there any alternative choices for repair?

Can anyone provide contact info for Ricoh? They need to know that their terrible repair services are going to cost them business.
Ouch! That does seem expensive. I wish there were other choices besides PCR. I had to use them to repair one of my lenses, and I dreaded it, although they did get it back to me in a relatively timely manner even after having to send it over to Japan.

Best wishes!
03-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

And yeah, the next one I buy will be with drop protection!
Yeah, when I bought my K-1 back in 2016, I added it onto my House and Contents insurance for theft and damage.

We need to ask ourselves when we purchase something we claim we need ... can I afford its replacement if stolen or dropped?

Extended warranties also can seem unnecessary until we're confronted by repair bills.
03-29-2022, 03:42 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
LOL! I'm with ya. I don't tell my plumber how to fix my pipes even tho I could probably bumble thru and do it myself. Probably. Camera? My technician skills go only so far as a #2 Phillips will take me
Don't be so modest... I'm sure you'd manage a #1 flathead. Maybe a Torx if particularly inspired
04-03-2022, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I got my camera back from Precision.

Yeah, no front lens cover returned with the camera! When I called they asked if I had included the part. I said "Of course, that was the reason for the repair!" So, I'm waiting for a response from them.

You're looking at $873.00 worth of damage.

The lens retracts and extends as normal when turned off/on. For all I know, if that front piece was properly reinstalled the camera might function. I have sent Ricoh a photo of the camera and a copy of the invoice as well as a reminder that I have been a loyal Pentax/Ricoh customer for over 30 years. We'll see if that has any value.

Last edited by sibyrnes; 04-03-2022 at 08:16 AM.
04-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #57
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I got my camera back from Precision.

Yeah, no front lens cover returned with the camera! When I called they asked if I had included the part. I said "Of course, that was the reason for the repair!" So, I'm waiting for a response from them.
That's very poor Let's hope they either supply the original or an identical new part. That's the least you could (and should) expect.

The lens retracts and extends as normal when turned off/on. For all I know, if that front piece was properly reinstalled the camera might function. I have sent Ricoh a photo of the camera and a copy of the invoice as well as a reminder that I have been a loyal Pentax/Ricoh customer for over 30 years. We'll see if that has any value.
The devil is in the detail with closely-packed, high-precision devices like these... but it certainly doesn't look bad from that photo. Does it still take photos?

Well done for contacting Ricoh and providing evidence of both the camera and Precision's invoice. I really hope they pull through for you. Keep us posted, eh?
04-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Does it still take photos?
I don't know. The screen just reads "Lens Error" for a couple of seconds and then shuts off. I don't know if the error is the missing front piece or more serious internal damage. I bet Precision never bothered to check - just choose to replace the entire lens assembly.
04-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I don't know. The screen just reads "Lens Error" for a couple of seconds and then shuts off. I don't know if the error is the missing front piece or more serious internal damage. I bet Precision never bothered to check - just choose to replace the entire lens assembly.

A lens error will occur if the focus mechanism or the lens mechanism is jammed. Either way it’s a new subassembly.
Now the quote is ridiculous, but I’m wondering if Covid parts chain is the culprit. But not sending back parts is awful service

Hang up and DRIVE!
04-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #60
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
A lens error will occur if the focus mechanism or the lens mechanism is jammed. Either way it’s a new subassembly.
Yeah, I very much doubt a simple missing front piece would be sufficient to generate an error. As Mike suggests, I'd guess there's something not right mechanically with the lens subassembly. It seems unlikely that the entire internals of the camera need replacing, though.

I'll keep my fingers crossed re a response from Ricoh...