Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Precision Camera Repair - For Real?

I dropped my GR III and damaged the lens assembly. Sent it off to Precision and got the quote for repair today. $873.08. Seriously! I can't even come up with word to describe how frustrated and pissed of I am! As much as I love Pentax and my GRIII I seriously have to consider if I want to do business with a company that treats its customers like this. Are there any alternative choices for repair?

Can anyone provide contact info for Ricoh? They need to know that their terrible repair services are going to cost them business.

Last edited by sibyrnes; 03-25-2022 at 08:21 AM.
03-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow that’s terrible. How is that cost calculated ?? Pretty high for the model.
03-25-2022, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So it’s precisions fault you dropped your camera? Seriously??
So few brain cells used when wanting computer s fixed . My advice is go to school, learn optics, electronics, and computer technology, then you can fix it cheaper?

Hang up and DRIVE!
03-25-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
Unregistered User

I remember you posted this in another thread - what exactly is the consequence of your dropping it? Does it still work but one of the "leaves" does not close or is it worse than that?

03-25-2022, 08:33 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
So few brain cells used when wanting computer s fixed . My advice is go to school, learn optics, electronics, and computer technology, then you can fix it cheaper?

Hang up and DRIVE!

No, but it's Precision's fault to quote the price of an ENTIRELY NEW GRiii as the repair cost. They could instead said it's unrepairable, suggesting a replacement unit. Very few issues should cost as much as the entire device, considering the GRiii is not cheap.
03-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Are there any alternative choices for repair?
Sometimes, repair costs can be surprisingly (and annoyingly) high.

Here's a list of possible repair centres: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
03-25-2022, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I dropped my GR III and damaged the lens assembly. Sent it off to Precision and got the quote for repair today. $873.08. Seriously! I can't even come up with word to describe how frustrated and pissed of I am! As much as I love Pentax and my GRIII I seriously have to consider if I want to do business with a company that treats its customers like this. Are there any alternative choices for repair?

Can anyone provide contact info for Ricoh? They need to know that their terrible repair services are going to cost them business.
That’s pretty terrible. I suggest whatever you buy an extended warranty may be needed. Most brands are serviced by precision and others like them. Horror stories abound for all brands.

Sorry this is happening, I hope you find a solution.

03-25-2022, 08:55 AM - 36 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Hang up and DRIVE!
I'm going to leave this post in place, even if inclined to delete it, and quote what I just wrote in another thread.:

Typically a post as rude as this one might be deleted, and the poster receiving an infraction. You can reply to someone without being offensive, casting stones at them, or questioning their intelligence or motives.

These are exactly the type of posts that beg for an in-kind response from the OP, followed by a string of more unpleasant distractions between you and him, maybe others as well, before moderators are forced to step in and someone ends up claiming we're being "unfair".

Don't be the guy that makes a thread unpleasant. Every member here deserves better. Your words did nothing to improve understanding or otherwise contribute to the forum. The post only serves as an example of how not to interact with your fellow forum members. If anyone else sees themselves in this please take note. Being the reason others no longer wish to take part in our discussions should not be tolerated and won't be.

To the membership at large: Anytime you believe a post to be overtly out-of-line please report it to the moderation team to deal with. We read every single report and will respond to you. By getting into a keyboard war with another it makes the thread messy, and more friendly members are discouraged from participating.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-25-2022 at 09:47 AM.
03-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

That is a crazy price and who knows how long it would take to get it fixed. I'm guessing it wasn't insured either, depending on how much gear you have a personal article policy is worth looking into especially with the price of new gear now.

I know other brands that do their own service would offer a trade in price on a new or refurbished model not sure if Precision does that with Richo.
03-25-2022, 10:04 AM - 6 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

The deeper issue here is that the incredible efficiency of mass production which made parts extremely cheap but made human labor very expensive. Camera companies can deliver amazingly sophisticated devices for a very low price.

However, the flip side is that the cost of repair often exceeds the cost of the brand new device. And that sad fact is not surprising given that the list of tasks for fixing a camera (disassembly, diagnosis, making new parts, assembly) is longer than the list of tasks for making a camera (just making new parts, assembly). The labor costs of disassembly and diagnosis exceed any cost savings from getting to reuse the unbroken parts of a broken camera.
03-25-2022, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The front housing around the lens and the lens "leaves" came loose when I dropped it. I thought it was a minor problem but they want to replace the entire lens assembly $493.00 with $366.00 labor cost. If I refuse repair it cost me $58.00 to get my camera back.

And yeah, the next one I buy will be with drop protection!
03-25-2022, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #12

Contact information will be on your warranty card.

Does a repair shop have an obligation or a policy to tell you when replacement is a better option than repair because of costs?

They quoted a price. It's up to you if you would repair or replace. You can shop around and see if you can find something lower but what you are likely to find is no one else but Precision will work on it because they can't get parts. Or the company may quote a lower price but sending it to Precision due to lack of parts or equipment/software needed for the repair.

In this day and age outrageous repair quotes are the norm. Ever have a print head go out on a $150 printer and get a quote for $120 part alone? Did Epson advise to replace the printer rather than repair? Ever need body work on an automobile? Seems like you can't get by with less than $1200-1500 these days. And not to mention if you need repair to the engine, drive train, suspension or electronics.

Sticker shock goes along with technology it would seem.
03-25-2022, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Hang up and DRIVE!
my understanding is that Pentax limits who they will spare parts to. So even if the OP could fix it he would be unlikely to have the parts
03-25-2022, 01:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hang up and DRIVE!
Ricoh's parts sales policy won't let anyone but Precision fix it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-25-2022 at 01:55 PM.
03-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Ricoh's parts sales policy won't let anyone but Precision fix it.
I thought there were a few authorized repair shops in the USA but only one warranty shop.