Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2022, 02:45 PM - 5 Likes   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I dropped my GR III and damaged the lens assembly. Sent it off to Precision and got the quote for repair today. $873.08. Seriously! I can't even come up with word to describe how frustrated and pissed of I am! As much as I love Pentax and my GRIII I seriously have to consider if I want to do business with a company that treats its customers like this. Are there any alternative choices for repair?

Can anyone provide contact info for Ricoh? They need to know that their terrible repair services are going to cost them business.
Very sorry to hear you dropped your camera, and for the high estimate to repair

I'd be tempted to take some photos of the camera and send them to Ricoh, along with the quote you received from Precision, and a polite message asking if they feel the estimate is realisic, given that it represents the cost of an entirely new unit (which basically suggests it's a single, non-repairable module). If you're friendly and non-emotional towards them, they may (just may) step in and help... Well, that's what I'd try, at least...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2022 at 01:32 AM.
03-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At worst if you sell the unit as parts only. Someone may need the parts and reduce your replacement cost a bit.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-26-2022 at 06:55 AM.
03-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well they want $58.00 to return the camera to me but I don't know if it's worth it. I have already ordered a new one from B&H with 3 year drop protection! After this I hate giving money to Ricoh but I love that camera!
03-25-2022, 11:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suspect the lense alignment could be comprised as well. If it still "worked" for a given value of worked then it could be useful as a "I don't want to risk my good one" option.
It's also possible that they have people who get their camera repaired regardless of the cost because of an emotional attachment to it, so like to offer this option.

03-26-2022, 02:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
At worst if you sell the unit as pets only someone may reduce your replacement cost a bit.
So you don't think dogs, cats, hamsters etc. deserve functioning cameras?
03-26-2022, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well they want $58.00 to return the camera to me but I don't know if it's worth it.
Yes it's worth it. Covers their labour to investigate it, and you'll have a spare parts camera - eg for the battery cover or something. Or turn it into an art piece. Or photograph disassembling it and share the construction details on the forum.
03-26-2022, 06:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A new screen replacement part is $49 on eBay. I’d say it’s worth it for the battery and potential parts.

03-26-2022, 07:04 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm sure I'm missing something about the GRIII, but $900 for a fixed "wide - normal " lens digital camera with bells and whistles; isn't it still basically a point and shoot camera?

If you really like it and want another, Ricoh has the "refurbished" model on their website for $699.
03-26-2022, 07:31 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I'm sure I'm missing something about the GRIII, but $900 for a fixed "wide - normal " lens digital camera with bells and whistles; isn't it still basically a point and shoot camera?

If you really like it and want another, Ricoh has the "refurbished" model on their website for $699.
I think the OP said he's already ordered another, but that's a great deal on one if he hasn't. Thanks for posting it.
03-26-2022, 08:05 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote

Yes you are missing something. The GRIII is not just a "point and shoot" camera - it's a camera capable of some of the sharpest images I have ever taken(and I have some good cameras and lens).
03-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Sent it off to Precision and got the quote for repair today. $873.08
If that repair number is serious, then it is time for a new camera!! There is no way I am going to pay that kind of money for a repair. Keep the old one for the display case.
03-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The front housing around the lens and the lens "leaves" came loose when I dropped it. I thought it was a minor problem but they want to replace the entire lens assembly $493.00 with $366.00 labor cost. If I refuse repair it cost me $58.00 to get my camera back.

And yeah, the next one I buy will be with drop protection!
This is an example of an ever increasing issue with exorbitant repair costs exceeding the cost of replacing the item. It seems to be happening with a lot of electronic items these days. I recently ended up trashing a 3 year old over the range microwave oven where the cost of the repair was actually more than buying an upgraded unit from the same manufacturer. What also bothers me is that they are charging a $58 fee for shipping the camera back. That is not right that they use this as an additional money maker. I would doubt that the cost of shipping by the most common shippers like Fedex or UPS is more than $20. This does not give me a good feeling about Precisions business practices even if they are a competent repair facility.
03-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
This is an example of an ever increasing issue with exorbitant repair costs exceeding the cost of replacing the item.
I would agree. In this case, the labor rate suggests the job would take several hours by a qualified technician, but I have no idea whether that's reasonable. As for the cost of the replacement part, who knows what it's based on. I'd guess there are costs of manufacturing, sparing, warehousing, shipping, inventory management, etc. Seems high to me, but I really have no idea.

I recently ended up trashing a 3 year old over the range microwave oven where the cost of the repair was actually more than buying an upgraded unit from the same manufacturer.

Consumer-grade microwave ovens seem to be one of those low-grade appliances that are relatively cheap to buy but fail after a short service life. Been there.

What also bothers me is that they are charging a $58 fee for shipping the camera back.
I think this issue has been discussed on PF a few times. To be fair, Precision's Terms and Conditions mention a possible fee for diagnostics and return shipping if the customer declines the repair after receiving a quote. I don't think the T&C's indicate a price, though.

- Craig
03-26-2022, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they don't make a profit and go bankrupt, then who repairs our cameras?
03-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
If they don't make a profit and go bankrupt, then who repairs our cameras?
How about the actual manufacturers, like they used to? Pentax used to have a great repair center in Colorado.

Precision quoted me the price of a new camera to have mine repaired so of course I declined and bought a new camera. Apparently they are not interested in repairing cameras, just selling new ones. If that is how they run a repair business they should go bankrupt.

Last edited by sibyrnes; 03-26-2022 at 04:11 PM.