Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2022, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 150-450 fell apart. Advise

My Pentax 150-450 came apart when I picked it up (and right in the middle of bird migration!). The part containing the lenses separated from the base. Noting was lost, but is this something any good camera repair person can reattach or is it something that I will have to send to Precision Camera? (I sure hope not)

Thanks

05-09-2022, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There have previously been others who have reported a similar issue:
Pentax Lenses Falling Apart - Stripped Internal Screws - PentaxForums.com
DFA 150-450mm needs repair - PentaxForums.com
05-09-2022, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
My Pentax 150-450 came apart when I picked it up (and right in the middle of bird migration!). The part containing the lenses separated from the base. Noting was lost, but is this something any good camera repair person can reattach or is it something that I will have to send to Precision Camera? (I sure hope not)

Thanks
this exact thing happened to me mid safari 2019

upon my return home I had Phototronic.biz here in Topeka KS repair it

he replaced the stripped screws, retapped and put in larger screws

I recommend you call him today if possible:

QuoteQuote:
Phototronic (aka Fix Old Cameras)
Call (785.233.0231), or drop in.
Love to talk camera repair with you,

so please do contact Phototronic during customer counter hours.

phototronic.biz
119 NE US Highway 24 STE B, Topeka, KS 66608, US

(785) 233-0231

Customer Counter Hours
Open today

12:30 pm – 06:00 pm M - F
Camera Repair - phototronic.biz

not the speediest unless you express a need for speed:

QuoteQuote:
Request Quick Time
Unlike most repair shops that process repairs in a chronological order, at Phototronic equipment is repaired on an as needed basis, thus avoiding completed equipment sitting on the shelf waiting to be picked up, while needed equipment goes un-repaired

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-09-2022 at 07:18 AM.
05-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, so not a simple tech thing. Argh!!

Thanks for the recommendation. I called and did not get a response but will keep trying

Doug

05-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the cost of my repair was less than $300 if I recall correctly

no problem with lens since repair
05-09-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sent it off. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks Allen.
05-09-2022, 07:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surely, considering the number of cases like this, a case could be made to Pentax that this should be repaired free, regardless of whether the warranty has expired?

05-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Surely, considering the number of cases like this, a case could be made to Pentax that this should be repaired free, regardless of whether the warranty has expired?

Given that Pentax (Ricoh) cannot even be bothered to do the right thing on the K-30, K-50, K-S2 etc solenoid affair, am quite sure they aren't ever going to be this generous on this matter.

The BARE MINIMUM they can and should do, is to please use perhaps two to three or four more screws than whatever is used now.

Given that this thing about Pentax lenses coming apart is not limited to the DFA 150-450 (it also affects the DA560) (and on the 300PLM it affects in another way), they can and should please just use a few more screws if they are going to use such tiny screws.

Everytime i use the DFA 150-450, i have this dread that this might happen.
05-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote

Everytime i use the DFA 150-450, i have this dread that this might happen.
You are not alone there!! I try to be very slow and gentle whenever I zoom in or out with mine!!
05-09-2022, 10:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 150-450 is the reason I'll still shooting Pentax. So far, no issue with my 150450, I touch wood. Shall this kind of dislocation / breakdown happens to my 150-450, I'm not sure how I would react.
- What is a root cause for the front half part of the lens to detach from the body of the lens?
- Did it break due to lateral stress when the zoom was fully extended?
- How should we handle the DFA150-450 to prevent this kind of damage to happen?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-09-2022 at 10:40 PM.
05-10-2022, 05:03 AM   #11
dlhawes

The problem in my experience (I've had two such incidents, one with the DA 560mm and one with a FA* 70-200mm) was the choice of materials. Making a lens lighter and cheaper means plastic, so the relatively few itty-bitty fine-thread screws (bad choice there, right off the bat, more, larger diameter and coarse threads would have helped) that go into a fairly flimsy plastic part. I'm thinking an aluminum/titanium alloy would have made a lot more sense, but then that would have added to the cost of production.

Reminds me of Nora Batty from "Last of the Summer Wine", talking about men; she uses a standard form like this: "Pentax lenses fall apart. They do that, they fall apart."

Well they don't need to worry about making them cheap for me, anymore, 'cause I ain't buyin' any ever again. It might not be so bad if they (1) had actual customer service and (2) honored their written warranty.
05-10-2022, 05:15 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
. . .
- What is a root cause for the front half part of the lens to detach from the body of the lens?
- Did it break due to lateral stress when the zoom was fully extended?
- How should we handle the DFA150-450 to prevent this kind of damage to happen?
In my case, I abused the lens

I would have it dangling at my side while the safari vehicle was in motion and the camera and lens would bounce against my body as I used another camera and lens

The 150-450 was extended

As a result, the internal screws gave way

Now I keep the lens at the minimum length and locked down unless I have it in my hands
05-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, this happened to me on Safari in 2017. Cost about $1,000 for the repair and it had to be sent to Japan for the fix. Mine just completely separated in half at smallest tube when fully extended. This and other similar issues are discussed in threads on the site. I don't feel that I abused my lens. Ok, bouncing around on the Serengeti in a land rover is kind rough but I do take care of my equipment. The only thing I can think of was that I was tending to rack in / out quickly many times on that trip. This may have been the cause of the separation. It was ugly by the way as I started with one lens and ended up with two halves and a bunch of wires dangling between them...

Best of luck on your fix though.
05-10-2022, 09:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
The 150-450 was extendedAs a result, the internal screws gave way
Thanks. That was my guess. When the zoom is extended, some lateral stress applied between the body and the front of the zoom is leveraged to the screws (not sure if my English is correct here). I vaguely remember having seen in the past some pictures of screws / mechanical connection, I searched again online but I couldn't find it, curiously, I don't know if those pictures were removed from the web.
05-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Yes, this happened to me on Safari in 2017. Cost about $1,000 for the repair and it had to be sent to Japan for the fix. Mine just completely separated in half at smallest tube when fully extended. This and other similar issues are discussed in threads on the site. I don't feel that I abused my lens. Ok, bouncing around on the Serengeti in a land rover is kind rough but I do take care of my equipment. The only thing I can think of was that I was tending to rack in / out quickly many times on that trip. This may have been the cause of the separation. It was ugly by the way as I started with one lens and ended up with two halves and a bunch of wires dangling between them...

Best of luck on your fix though.
This is serving to emphasize for me the wisdom of retracting the 150-450 before putting the camera and lens to rest on my shoulder. I hadn't previously noted that advice and should have. Thanks to every.