Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2022, 07:00 AM   #1

Precision Camera and K5 Repair

I sent my K5, serial # 3935097 to Precision Camera to repair the missing button that releases the lens from the body. They had it for a few weeks and returned it to me yesterday unrepaired with the explanation that it was "Out of Service Life". What does this mean, the camera is junk? I hope not I will have a devil of a time with the wife if I have to buy a new camera...

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Ed

05-13-2022, 07:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It probably means,”We can’t make enough money off of this, but we can’t admit that publicly, so you are on your own.” Have you contacted KEH? I think they used to do repair work. I would think if all it needs is a button one could be cannibalized from another camera?
05-13-2022, 08:59 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

follow the link below:

possible US repair options

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com

I have used Phototronic.biz here in Topeka KS

QuoteQuote:
Contact Phototronic (aka Fix Old Cameras)
Call (785.233.0231), or drop in.
Love to talk camera repair with you,

so please do contact Phototronic during customer counter hours.

Due to an unmanageable volume of emails the email address is not listed. Please call between the posted customer hours so that you might have your questions pertaining to the repair of your equipment answered. If you decide to send equipment you are interested in getting repaired via a shipper or you drop equipment off personally you will then be supplied a contact email for your convenience.

phototronic.biz
119 NE US Highway 24 STE B, Topeka, KS 66608, US

(785) 233-0231

Customer Counter Hours
Open today

12:30 pm – 06:00 pm [ M-F ]
Camera Repair - phototronic.biz
05-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #4

If you need parts for the don't waste your time sending to KEH. Several posters have stated that their equipment was returned (after several weeks) as Ricoh no longer sells parts to anyone but Precision. In one case KEH further damaged the mode dial to the point of usuability. Out of Service Life usually means no parts available. Precision removed the K10D from their list of cameras years ago for this reason.

US Camera used carry the parts button, weather seal and retaining clip but they haven't had any for years and Ricoh does'nt sell to them anymore.

05-13-2022, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #5

LOL, Pentax is a now a niche camera brand with only DSLR cameras when everybody else is firmly locked into a future of mirrorless cameras. There is no innovation coming from Pentax, so I can't imagine much attraction for new users. Yet, at the same time Pentax Japanese management continues to thumb their noses at the people who love the brand. You would think that at the very least they would be bending over backwards to hang on to the existing userbase making camera parts available for sale not only to all camera repair shops, but directly to camera owners. I feel like I am stuck in an abusive relationship.
05-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

"Out of Service Life" could mean many things. They might say that if there are no available spare parts, or maybe so few K-5's come in for service that Precision just doesn't want to be bothered with the old model.

I just checked Precision's website and their intake webform still invites people to send in their K-5 for service, though. Precision's reputation for being vague and inconsistent continues.
05-13-2022, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
LOL, Pentax is a now a niche camera brand with only DSLR cameras when everybody else is firmly locked into a future of mirrorless cameras. There is no innovation coming from Pentax, so I can't imagine much attraction for new users. Yet, at the same time Pentax Japanese management continues to thumb their noses at the people who love the brand. You would think that at the very least they would be bending over backwards to hang on to the existing userbase making camera parts available for sale not only to all camera repair shops, but directly to camera owners. I feel like I am stuck in an abusive relationship.
Part of this may be based on another dynamic: It could be the Pentax is such a small part of Precision's business that they told Pentax they'd drop the brand entirely unless Pentax stopped selling parts to other vendors in the US. In other words, help insure that Precision got enough flow of Pentax repairs that they'd be able to continue training or whatever in order to continue accepting Pentax products.

I agree completely that it is very frustrating that Pentax wouldn't do the minimal marketing, especially in the social media era when advertising by "influencers" and product placement via various people would be inexpensive. If they did the bare minimum to promote their good products, they might have enough sales to justify more service options or have more flexibility with parts, etc.

05-14-2022, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Part of this may be based on another dynamic: It could be the Pentax is such a small part of Precision's business that they told Pentax they'd drop the brand entirely unless Pentax stopped selling parts to other vendors in the US. In other words, help insure that Precision got enough flow of Pentax repairs that they'd be able to continue training or whatever in order to continue accepting Pentax products.
Doubtful, as the restriction of parts sales policy seems to be in effect in other regions/countries as well.
05-14-2022, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Based on my experience (KP that failed after 3 years of moderate use), I've concluded that once your camera is out of warranty there is no reasonable option to get it repaired. Either it is impossible to find anyone willing and able to do the job, or the price to do so will approach or exceed the value of the camera. Thus, the only reasonable course is replacement, either in the used market (the only option if the camera has been discontinued by Pentax) or a new camera, which will probably have to be the current model in the line. (If that happens to be the K3iii, it will be at significantly higher cost.)

Last edited by Dan R; 05-14-2022 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo
05-14-2022, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan R Quote
Based on my experience (KP that failed after 3 years of moderate use), I've concluded that once your camera is out of warranty there is no reasonable option to get it repaired. Either it is impossible to find anyone willing and able to do the job, or the price to do so will approach or exceed the value of the camera. Thus, the only reasonable course is replacement, either in the used market (the only option if the camera has been discontinued by Pentax) or a new camera, which will probably have to be the current model in the line. (If that happens to be the K3iii, it will be at significantly higher cost.)
That sucks. The KP has only very recently been discontinued, and parts should be readily available. No reason for it to be unrepairable. As to cost, unfortunately, "excessive" has become the rule rather than the exception. Probably true for all brands.

Oh, for the days of Pentax having their own repair facility. Here in the US, near or with their main office in Colorado. Many years ago, my *ist-D began to excessively use battery power while still under warranty. Turn around for the repair was very fast, and the problem was permanently fixed. I went on to soon prefer the K100D anyway due to the development of SR. Much later, after some years of light use, my K200D developed the same problem of eating batteries, but it was out of warranty. I simply used my K20D instead, then got the K-5, and have always since debated with myself if getting the K200D fixed would be worth doing. I have never tried to find out the cost.
05-14-2022, 10:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Beyond service life" is used by most manufacturers to mean "no parts available". Taking parts off another body doubles the labor time. Camera repair people don't get paid by the hour only by work completed. Would you want to work for half pay?
05-15-2022, 06:04 AM   #12

Original Poster
We'll See...

I decided to take a flyer and send it off to KEH. Time will tell, there may be a new camera in my future...

Thanks for all your thoughts!

EDIT - KEH said they will repair it for $300 plus parts... We'll see.

Last edited by edkirkpatrick; 05-27-2022 at 05:27 AM.
05-26-2022, 03:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some K5 cameras had this problem quite early on. At the time, there was quite a number of people with this problem. At one time, the button was easily purchasable from USCamera but it seems they no longer carry stock.

Here's a video that details the repair:
05-26-2022, 07:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What seems odd to me is that the button looks the same on the k3iii. Couldn't they have used that?

05-27-2022, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Some K5 cameras had this problem quite early on. At the time, there was quite a number of people with this problem. At one time, the button was easily purchasable from USCamera but it seems they no longer carry stock.

Here's a video that details the repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1VxPsXgBsU
Thank you! Scary stuff opening these cameras...