Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

DA* 16-50 PLM repair pending

For those who own the new HD DA*16-50 PLM, I experienced an unusual issue.

After the lens performed flawlessly (mechanically and optically) for about 6 months, I took it out on a trip and noticed it wouldn't zoom all the way to 16mm. It did with some friction/lack of smoothness, but then I noticed my photos were coming out blurry, even at F8. Note that this lens performs excellently at wide apertures under normal circumstances.

I discovered that the internal barrel holding the rear element had become wobbly/loose and that it could move freely by a mm or so within the rear opening of the lens mount.

While it's seen somewhat rugged use, I don't think it's been abused since it's generally been transported with a few other Pentax lenses which continue to work well and which I'd expect to be less mechanically robust than this lens.

I've taken it to Sun Camera here in Toronto and they indicated it will be shipped to Japan for inspection. Generally expecting no issues since it's a new lens under warranty.

Crossing my fingers!

07-29-2022, 01:17 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just wanted to provide an update - I got the lens back and it's back in perfect condition. Oddly enough, although Sun Camera said Ricoh repaired the lens, the focus ring (which I didn't think had any bearing on the issue) has a new serial number so I can't say for sure if it's a repair or replacement. Either way, things appear to have gone very smoothly.
07-29-2022, 05:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear of a positive result and hope that's the last repair you need for that lens.
07-30-2022, 10:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Just wanted to provide an update - I got the lens back and it's back in perfect condition. Oddly enough, although Sun Camera said Ricoh repaired the lens, the focus ring (which I didn't think had any bearing on the issue) has a new serial number so I can't say for sure if it's a repair or replacement. Either way, things appear to have gone very smoothly.
Glad to hear of your results.
I have had zero problems with my DA 55-300 PLM,
and an expensive lens should work at least as well.
I am hoping they will come up with a cheaper ‘standard’ KAF4 lens,
but without all the “drama” you’ve encountered

07-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #5

So it took about 8 weeks including shipping. Thanks for the followup and and glad for a happy ending.
08-01-2022, 04:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replacement! You got a new lens!
08-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I discovered that the internal barrel holding the rear element had become wobbly/loose and that it could move freely by a mm or so within the rear opening of the lens mount.
Same happened to mine. I have to send it back.

11-04-2022, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Same happened to mine. I have to send it back.
More than 2 months later, I got a message that it is not possible to repair and they will replace it with a new one.
11-08-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More than 2 months later, I got a message that it is not possible to repair and they will replace it with a new one.
Wow. I hope they extend your warranty for the 2 months of lost use.
11-08-2022, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Wow. I hope they extend your warranty for the 2 months of lost use.
We have 5 years warranty in Norway. And there is also 5 years on repair jobs. So my 4 years left on the old one is replaced with 5 years on the new one
11-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new one was DOA and is returned. I suppose I will get another one, but when? It is 3 months now since I sent it in for repair.
11-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #12

I may have the same issue. I went to remove the lens and it fell from the camera body about an inch onto the table. The camera was sitting on the table as well. I didn't think too much of it, but I'm always paranoid when it comes to any sort of impact with lenses. Within a few minutes I noticed the internal barrel was wobbling. I may have just now noticed because I was thinking about it but I've never noticed any wobble before.

Was there any play in the internal barrel that you noticed before?

I'm still under warranty but I really don't want to be without the lens for two months.
11-20-2022, 06:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zachj352 Quote
I may have the same issue. I went to remove the lens and it fell from the camera body about an inch onto the table. The camera was sitting on the table as well. I didn't think too much of it, but I'm always paranoid when it comes to any sort of impact with lenses. Within a few minutes I noticed the internal barrel was wobbling. I may have just now noticed because I was thinking about it but I've never noticed any wobble before.

Was there any play in the internal barrel that you noticed before?

I'm still under warranty but I really don't want to be without the lens for two months.
Sorry to read this. It seems that this lens has some really fragile parts. And I don't know when it happened on mine.

No, there was no play in the lens before this happened.
11-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Sorry to read this. It seems that this lens has some really fragile parts. And I don't know when it happened on mine.

No, there was no play in the lens before this happened.
Apparently some are built better than others. When Adam was giving away a KP, I had no interest since I already had one, but then when I was sitting watching squirrels at our Squirrel Feeder, a cat jumped into my lap, knocking my KP with its 55-300mm PLM a foot off my lap onto the carpeted floor. My first thought {after scolding the cat} was the lens {which was fine}, but then I suddenly was interested in Adam’s raffle, because my KP seemed to have forgotten how to focus. Later that day, I had a brain-storm and ‘hard booted’ {removed the battery for a few seconds} the camera - then all was good with the world. I’m sorry you guys have had problems.
11-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is really disappointing to read. This is a lens I planned to buy when the money tree grows, I bought a sigma 17-50 f2.8 as a fill-gap until the hd lens came out but I really like to keep pure to pentax if I can. However, I do not want to expend a lot of hard earned cash on a lemon. Shall have to think very hard about this one - it is ok while Pentax keep replacing them but that won't last for ever, plus months without a lens while they decide.