Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #46
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am beginning to regret buying the 50mm f1.4. There really isn't a lot of love for it in these parts
No regrets. Shoot it in the challenge. Sell when you something better, if you don't feel like hanging on to it.

06-21-2022, 07:49 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly. It has hit my wish list too

I am beginning to regret buying the 50mm f1.4. There really isn't a lot of love for it in these parts
Itís a good lens. Particularly if you can shoot at f2.8 or more stopped down as it is sharper and has better out of focus rendering at those f stops (understanding that f2.8+ is going to have less oof).

At f1.4 it is a bit dreamy. The dreamy nature can be a plus in some cases. Additionally Iíd rather have a shot than not have one. So when iso is cranked high and a bit more light is needed - I use it.

I do like the da* 55 better at f1.4 than the fa 50 at the same aperture. I donít feel the fa 50 is a bad lens for the current used pricing. The f 50/1.7 is a good lens but a bit less smooth in oof with hexagons rather than circles.
06-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
No regrets. Shoot it in the challenge. Sell when you something better, if you don't feel like hanging on to it.
It will be my sic for July & I am getting it at a good price so would be able to trade in against the fa 43mm limited that we have both been drawn into wanting lolol

---------- Post added 21-06-22 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Itís a good lens. Particularly if you can shoot at f2.8 or more stopped down as it is sharper and has better out of focus rendering at those f stops (understanding that f2.8+ is going to have less oof).

At f1.4 it is a bit dreamy. The dreamy nature can be a plus in some cases. Additionally Iíd rather have a shot than not have one. So when iso is cranked high and a bit more light is needed - I use it.

I do like the da* 55 better at f1.4 than the fa 50 at the same aperture. I donít feel the fa 50 is a bad lens for the current used pricing. The f 50/1.7 is a good lens but a bit less smooth in oof with hexagons rather than circles.
I did the same with the fa 35mm f2, although that is a corker whenever I shoot my sons band the light is awful so this will give me a tiny bit more over the 50mm f1.8. One question, when it talks about softness, are we talking the entire frame or just the edges? bearing in mind it will be on apsc
06-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will be my sic for July & I am getting it at a good price so would be able to trade in against the fa 43mm limited that we have both been drawn into wanting lolol

---------- Post added 21-06-22 at 08:25 AM ----------

I did the same with the fa 35mm f2, although that is a corker whenever I shoot my sons band the light is awful so this will give me a tiny bit more over the 50mm f1.8. One question, when it talks about softness, are we talking the entire frame or just the edges? bearing in mind it will be on apsc
The fa 50 is a bit soft everywhere wide open. But pleasing images can be made. The edges are of course softer but even the center isnít that high in resolution.

06-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #50
Pentaxian

OK, that's a WOW from me. Stunning images.

I have been buying gorgeous film cameras instead
Thank you. The FA 50 1.4 is a pretty good lens. There are forum members who have made magic images with it, so don't regret it. Keep saving for the 43, but what many don't realize before owning one of the FA Limited lenses is they are so good, one isn't enough. You'll soon be drawn to the 77 and 31 and you can't fight it. Take a look through the The FA Limited Club - PentaxForums.com thread for more images.

What film cameras? I just bought a second MZ-S which arrived yesterday, and I'm waiting for my Minolta XD-11 to arrive. I just sold two Nikon F2s.
06-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Thank you. The FA 50 1.4 is a pretty good lens. There are forum members who have made magic images with it, so don't regret it. Keep saving for the 43, but what many don't realize before owning one of the FA Limited lenses is they are so good, one isn't enough. You'll soon be drawn to the 77 and 31 and you can't fight it. Take a look through the The FA Limited Club - PentaxForums.com thread for more images.

What film cameras? I just bought a second MZ-S which arrived yesterday, and I'm waiting for my Minolta XD-11 to arrive. I just sold two Nikon F2s.
Well, twelve months ago I had a spotty sp500, then came the MX (mint and CLAd), next was a 1946 Zeiss Ikoflex TLR. That was followed by a voigtlander Vitomatic ii (with a slightly dodgy rangefinder, but it is still a beast and great to use). Next came my pride and joy, an absolutely pristine Yashica-Mat tlr from 1972. Next was a tiny but fun Ricoh 35 rf range finder and most recently, a mint Fed-3a leica copy and an sp1000 to replace my unreliable spotty. I am now bulk loading, home developing and having tons of fun film really takes over doesn't it
06-22-2022, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, questions about the fa50mm f1.4 have been rendered moot! CeX sent me a pentax-m 50mm f1.4. I have my refund! Despite wondering if I had done the right thing, I am incredibly disappointed!

06-22-2022, 04:14 AM   #53
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OK, questions about the fa50mm f1.4 have been rendered moot! CeX sent me a pentax-m 50mm f1.4. I have my refund! Despite wondering if I had done the right thing, I am incredibly disappointed!
No wonder it was cheap

I'm sure ordering 43ltd would cure your dissapointment, thought you might feel slight buyers remorce
06-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I have a lot of respect for that lens. I just don't love its focal length. To me 43 is the most natural and comfortable focal length ever.
06-22-2022, 05:51 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
No wonder it was cheap

I'm sure ordering 43ltd would cure your dissapointment, thought you might feel slight buyers remorce
There is a 43 for a good price and it is so incredibly tempting but I need to clear credit cards and the like before I buy anything substantial
06-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Everyone has a different way of working with the same piece of equipment and for viewing what it does for them. For me, I was very pleased with both the M 40mm f/2.8 because of its very small size and compact portability on a compact 35mm film body- my ME Super, along with its very versatile FOV. I then bought the FA 43mm Ltd, and liked its "character" and rendering very much, along with its better capabilities under low light conditions, and still having a great FOV for carrying a single prime to address a variety of scenarios. Its FOV also carries with it a perfectly natural perspective of front-to-back ratio for many scenes, giving them an appearance that seems right to the eye. I used it often on my newer AF 35mm film bodies.

Years later, after getting into DSLR use, the APS-C experience wiped out much of what I had valued in these lenses with 35mm film use. Between the two of them, I then found the extra FOV afforded by the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited to bring more usefulness for my needs than does the FA 43mm Ltd. Also, the DA 40mm is far better for edge-to-edge performance at larger apertures, when this is of importance. For these reasons, the DA 40mm has served well for many scenics, where there is less in the way of a single subject of interest, or where the background is very important, by having more in the frame and that being uniformly sharp. So the FA 43mm Ltd has been doing a lot of sitting- until more recently upon getting my K-1 II! Now it has regained its former appeal! The resuming of the wider FOV in certain FF lenses was a big motivator for my adding the K-1 II to my various camera models, and now I am celebrating every time I mount one of them on it, especially the FA 43mm Ltd!

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-27-2022 at 05:39 PM.
07-05-2022, 02:19 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I bought an smc fa 50mm f1.4 from MPB and I am delighted with it, I paid £119 and am sic'ing it at the moment. I haven't found the softness to be a major issue so far but stopped down it is blowing me away. The 43mm will come, you have convinced me as will the DA* 55, although the SDM concerns me on that one, but for now the low budget option has made me quite forget the 40mm (which is currently on eBay for £30)
07-10-2022, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 40mm raised £40