Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I disagree about the mixed reviews. I was in your shoes, with the question of switching between the two. In my case I was also switching to full frame so the corners of the 40mm were a problem. Still, regarding rendering, I never looked back.

Your previous posts led me to understand that you intended to let go of the 40 anyway. If you DON'T want to do that, then by all means get it repaired!
The 40mm isn't a lens I need as such but I do like it a lot. If push came to shove I would sell it because I have other lenses that cover the same ground, but I wouldn't sell it gladly. The focal length of the 43 would be better for me but it would cost as much as a da•55mm f1.4 which is at the top of my wish list. As for comparisons, I think we are comparing fabulous with brilliant and the two are split by value and preference. I fully intend to get a full set of FA limited at which point I will know for sure and i will no doubt be blown away all over again lol. I could have sold the 70 as is but with my luck I wouldn't have got much, so, I have sent it away and my fingers are crossed. I will post when I have a price. Fingers crossed

06-17-2022, 08:40 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got a price for fixing it, £350! Ridiculous! That was from john Pye and only then after I had chased them up. I seriously wonder if they even looked at it! So, its not getting fixed and will be on eBay for spares.
06-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #33
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could try this guy, alan. He couldn't help me with my problem but it's possible he could help you. Drop him a mail

Cam-rep.co.uk
06-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
You could try this guy, alan. He couldn't help me with my problem but it's possible he could help you. Drop him a mail

Cam-rep.co.uk
OK, thanks I will email him

06-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, yesterday I emailed the repairer to ask for news and I got a massive quote with no details! I suspected they hadn't looked at it. This morning I got an email saying they were very busy but they had allocated a job number and would assess it asap, so, I was right! Thank god I didn't pay the £350!
06-20-2022, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very simple:
a) A well repaired DA40ltd is going to be better than a used one!
b) " " " " " " to sell better than a used one!

The FA43ltd is a great lens! But it can have mechanical problems as well.
My FA43ltd did not focus anymore if set to M, in AF only partly, I sent it off and got it repaired, now it is perfect.

The DA*55/1,4 SDM is great but OFTEN has SDM problems!
Some claim it would be otherwise but aside of one of mine which has problems I know of quite a few other pentaxians having
that problem as well. So just take that in account. Also: It's AF is much slower that the (louder screwdrive) if the FA43.
Very difficult choice because the DA* is a great lens. Not to forget: The FA43 is nice small!
06-20-2022, 04:59 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
So, yesterday I emailed the repairer to ask for news and I got a massive quote with no details! I suspected they hadn't looked at it. This morning I got an email saying they were very busy but they had allocated a job number and would assess it asap, so, I was right! Thank god I didn't pay the £350!
They should be ashamed of themselves, truly.

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
a) A well repaired DA40ltd is going to be better than a used one!
b) " " " " " " to sell better than a used one!
B) maybe, but maybe not at a price covering the cost of repairs.

As I mentioned above regarding sunk cost, the OP needs to consider the cost of repair vs the cost of a replacement (which could be zero if the lens isn't needed) or the resale value. Past value of the lens is moot.

06-20-2022, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Here's another vote for getting the 43 Limited. It's by far my favorite lens on a crop sensor. I've owned three 40mm lenses (at the same time as the 43) and the only one I don't own anymore is the DA 40 Limited. I keep the M 40 for a compact film setup and the DA 40 XS is my "body cap" for my K-1 in my camera bag.

The 40 Limited is too sterile for me. That's not a bad trait for a lens, but I like the character from the FA Limited lenses more.

K-1 and FA 43

K10D and FA 43

MX and FA 43, can't remember which film (probably something from Fuji)

MX, FA 43, and Fuji 160S

And one from the M 40, MX, and also Fuji 160S
06-20-2022, 11:33 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Here's another vote for getting the 43 Limited. It's by far my favorite lens on a crop sensor. I've owned three 40mm lenses (at the same time as the 43) and the only one I don't own anymore is the DA 40 Limited. I keep the M 40 for a compact film setup and the DA 40 XS is my "body cap" for my K-1 in my camera bag.

The 40 Limited is too sterile for me. That's not a bad trait for a lens, but I like the character from the FA Limited lenses more.

K-1 and FA 43

K10D and FA 43

MX and FA 43, can't remember which film (probably something from Fuji)

MX, FA 43, and Fuji 160S

And one from the M 40, MX, and also Fuji 160S
OK, that's a WOW from me. Stunning images.

I have a hard line of £100 for the repair, any more than that and it is a write off.

The SDM does bother me in the DA* 55mm f1.4. There is one in Japan (eBay) for a great price but right now I don't have the money. There is also an FA43mm limited for a similar price in the UK and I think, after reading everyone's comments, at some point I am going to end up with both lol but for now I have tried to soften the blow of the 40 by treating myself to an FA 50mm f1.4. This will scratch my itch for fast until my finances level out my first new lens for a year! I have been buying gorgeous film cameras instead
06-21-2022, 12:45 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
.... but for now I have tried to soften the blow of the 40 by treating myself to an FA 50mm f1.4. This will scratch my itch for fast until my finances level out my first new lens for a year! I have been buying gorgeous film cameras instead
I prefered the F50/1,7 over the FA50/1,4.
Reason is that the F50/1,7 delivers colours quite similar to the DA*55/1,4. Of course one can correct that but particular when I want

ooc JPEGs which the KP does well, I am very happy with the outcome of this great lens.

If you are familiar with manual lenses: The M50/1,4 is quite amazing and cheap.
I myself like the Takumar 50/1,4 very much but particular the 8-Element version.
But I also have the 7-Element version and the 55/1,8.

But the F50/1,7 is an amazing lens and sometimes can be found quite cheap.
It surpasses the DA50/1,8 except for maybe bokeh. But bokeh-wise the FA43 ltd is called for a reason either "a diva" or a "bitch".

but this basically means one has to practice a lot, I actually love the bokeh it can produce, yet... at least 30% of all shots I have to delete, more waste than with other or more modern lenses. But I don't care..... "taming of the shrew".....
06-21-2022, 01:14 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I prefered the F50/1,7 over the FA50/1,4.
Reason is that the F50/1,7 delivers colours quite similar to the DA*55/1,4. Of course one can correct that but particular when I want

ooc JPEGs which the KP does well, I am very happy with the outcome of this great lens.

If you are familiar with manual lenses: The M50/1,4 is quite amazing and cheap.
I myself like the Takumar 50/1,4 very much but particular the 8-Element version.
But I also have the 7-Element version and the 55/1,8.

It surpasses the DA50/1,8 except for maybe bokeh. But bokeh-wise the FA43 ltd is called for a reason either "a diva" or a "bitch".

but this basically means one has to practice a lot, I actually love the bokeh it can produce, yet... at least 30% of all shots I have to delete, more waste than with other or more modern lenses. But I don't care..... "taming of the shrew".....
The FA 50mm f/1.4 is known to be pretty soft wide open though I haven't tried one myself. The F 50mm f/1.7 has the same optics as all the f/1.7s but is better built (though uglier) than the FA version.
06-21-2022, 01:18 AM   #42
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It surpasses the DA50/1,8 except for maybe bokeh.
Weird. For me bokeh and especially transition is where DA50 looses to classic f1.7's. I have M and F and they both feel much more sophisticated than DA50, which is sharp, but a bit blunt. I'm not saying DA bad. Loved it when aperture still worked in my K30, but when I was forced to go manual M50/1.7 opened a new world to me.
06-21-2022, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Here's another vote for getting the 43 Limited.
It's really annoying that when you have managed to rule 43ltd out of your shopping list there's always someone posting shots like this and you are forced to go thru the list again
06-21-2022, 03:30 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Weird. For me bokeh and especially transition is where DA50 looses to classic f1.7's. I have M and F and they both feel much more sophisticated than DA50, which is sharp, but a bit blunt. I'm not saying DA bad. Loved it when aperture still worked in my K30, but when I was forced to go manual M50/1.7 opened a new world to me.
Oh... I mean ONLY Bokeh. I don't use the DA50/1.8 but my wife does on her K-S1. She needs it light, she has very small hands and rheumatic pain

so weight and size is an issue.

She gets a very nice soft bokeh with it.

But I agree and I had the M50/1,7 as well, it was as good as the F50/1,7.
Fantastic lens
But I use the F50/1,7 on my KP and before on the K3 and K5IIs.
Still have a very worn FA50/1,7 in use with my K200D and K10D
06-21-2022, 07:29 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
It's really annoying that when you have managed to rule 43ltd out of your shopping list there's always someone posting shots like this and you are forced to go thru the list again
Exactly. It has hit my wish list too

I am beginning to regret buying the 50mm f1.4. There really isn't a lot of love for it in these parts