Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2022, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fri98 Quote
I have a K5 iis with a shutter count over 87K, is it worth to send it repair and put a new shutter mechanism and sensor cleaning, or better buy a replacement?
I have a K-5 with a shutter count of 150,000, so you likely have plenty of life in your current shutter.

06-24-2022, 08:39 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I have a K-5 with a shutter count of 150,000, so you likely have plenty of life in your current shutter.
Really??? Wow! I started all this because was about to hit the 100k!!! Good to know this cameras are really well made.

Hope your k-5 last for another 150k!
06-25-2022, 12:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K5 iis with a shutter count over 87K, is it worth to send it repair and put a new shutter mechanism and sensor cleaning, or better buy a replacement?
With the quite high shuttercount no way worth it.
I know how much work is involved in replacing the shutter, it's going to be more expensive and then all other parts have still the same use. Impossible to do for $140! Something smells very fishy to me with this quote!

I don't know how much VAT or tax you have to pay but on ebay there are offeres from Japanese dealers.
Often with low shuttercount.

Much better to invest the money there if you want a K5IIs again.
I still use mine, but more often I use my KP because I love the 55-300PLM (KAF4) and when doing macro, at times I use LV with focus-peaking, the K5IIs lacks both. Nevertheless, a great Pentax, one of the best ever.
06-25-2022, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It would be an each way bet on what camera would have the most life left in it..... yours as is .... maybe with a careful sensor clean at home...... or yours mailed to the US.... opened, shutter replaced, cleaned and mailed back..... would not surprise me if yours "as is" was stil working 5 years from now..... and your "repaired" one wasn't.

Off course.... if we were talking wives.... then just get a new one.... getting them repaired doesn't seem to work in the long run either.

06-25-2022, 02:35 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Off course.... if we were talking wives.... then just get a new one.... getting them repaired doesn't seem to work in the long run either.
One of my favourite sayings:
"It takes two to tango".
So the question often is, what did the other half neglect?
06-25-2022, 06:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
you just made my day! Thanks!
06-25-2022, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I live in Monterrey, Mexico, a northern city just about 2 hours driving from McAllen, TX, and was thinking in driving there, ship it and pick it up form there... all this because we don't have a Pentax branch in Mexico anymore, but about a week ago, I found the shop that was outsourcing its services to Pentax in Mexico City... about 10 minutes ago they just quoted about $140 USD for the shutter replacement (new, and already let me know it will take about 45 days just to get the piece).

Currently I already have the K3-3, a k3, and the k5iis, but the k5iis was my first flagship (owned a K-x, K30, before the k5iis), so I'm in love with it, and now I'm decided to fix it and going to give it to my 8yo son so he can start falling in love with it too hehehe... Thank you everybody for your great insight. In the end for $140 USD, I guess its worth it to fix it and give a new breath to it... add to that the excitement to go out with my son to shot together.

About the sensor... maybe I'm too picky, I started to notice some pixelation that I didn't noticed before, but you really have to dive in to see it in lightroom... Let's see how it works for my kid...

Again, thanks to everybody who took a little time to give me your thoughts,

Hope everyone gets great shots this weekend.

Kindest regards,

Mk
If what you are observing is hot pixels or bright colored dots on pictures especially when cropped, you can do a pixel mapping in the camera. I had an issue with brightly colored blue or red dots on pictures, especially when cropped on my K-5. I did the pixel mapping in the camera menu and it cleared up the problem completely.

06-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
If what you are observing is hot pixels or bright colored dots on pictures especially when cropped, you can do a pixel mapping in the camera. I had an issue with brightly colored blue or red dots on pictures, especially when cropped on my K-5. I did the pixel mapping in the camera menu and it cleared up the problem completely.
Thank you for the tip! I will do it and report back.

---------- Post added 06-25-2022 at 11:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
yep, that fixed it!! Thank you so much!
06-26-2022, 05:44 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may have mis understood the OPs question. If the shutter ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
06-27-2022, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I may have mis understood the OPs question. If the shutter ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Absolutely! I have my beloved KP and K-1 II, but I am still much in love with my old-but-perfect K-5 IIs! And it handles my old power zoom lenses just fine too. Its image quality is still very respectable, and I really like its controls and layout. Its battery grip takes the AA type, available everywhere, and I always have it and a set of lithiums along on trips in case I get careless, letting the batteries and spares run low with my other cameras.

Like most everything else, as Lowell says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! It is indeed a great camera.