Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
16-85 HD DC WR Repair -Precision Camera

My primary wide to short tele zoom the 16-85 HD DC WR suffered a spring failure in its aperture mechanism. leaving a floppy aperture actuator. The lens is in pristine condition, but is two years old. Precision Camera's repair estimate is ridiculous. If you add in my cost to ship the lens and the six percent Pennsylvania sales tax, I will have over $340 in a repair. By the way, this is my second copy of this lens, the first was badly decentered and had jumpy focus. I don't know if is worth gambling on getting it fixed.

Attached Images

07-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only question I’D What is the replacement cost of another copy of this lens? . If the repair cost is less for a lens you use regularly then pay for the repair.
If it was a lens you seldom used, don’t bother.
07-17-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That same problem happened to a 18-135 lens that I had purchased used. I purchased it cheap, so I set it aside. The cost of a new 16-85 is more than the repair cost. The dilemma here is whether you feel like you can trust the lens repair, given your history with it.
07-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I saw this business listed in another Pentax Forums thread. Supposedly it is located in Portland, Oregon. I do not know what they repair, but if you contact them they may be able to tell you what they may or may not be able to do and what an estimate may be.

https://www.advancecamera.com/repair

07-17-2022, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I recommend you contact Phototronic.biz here in Topeka KS to see what he might be able to do for you

QuoteQuote:
Contact Phototronic (aka Fix Old Cameras)
Call (785.233.0231), or drop in.
Love to talk camera repair with you,

so please do contact Phototronic during customer counter hours

Customer Counter Hours

Mon - Fri 12:30 pm – 06:00 pm
07-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #6

Advance Camera has been known to send or refer equipment repairs to Precision. However they charge their rates rather than Precision's if they do.

Chances are probably good that the lens would be sent to Japan for repair by Precision .
07-18-2022, 07:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Advance Camera has been known to send or refer equipment repairs to Precision. However they charge their rates rather than Precision's if they do.

Chances are probably good that the lens would be sent to Japan for repair by Precision .
I found the aperture lever spring on the seat in my car this morning! One of the looped ends broke off the spring broke off.
Since Ricoh sell no parts, even if I could get into the correct area of the lens, I wouldn't be able to get the spring. I really wish I'd kept my Sigma 17-50/2.8 now. My backup 15/4 LTD , 18-135 WR or Sigma 10-20/3.5 and XS 40/2.8 . Both sets go with the 55-300 PLM.

07-18-2022, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #8

What kind of spring is it? With a long coil spring you can sometimes bend out the last coil to make a new loop. You might have to stretch the spring a little to make up for lost length.

Aslyfox's repair person could probably do it for you.

An authorized repair center like Precision or Advance will only put a new part in.
07-22-2022, 05:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have that lens, and I would never replace it if it failed. It has the worst AF that I have experienced in any lens.
07-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
I have that lens, and I would never replace it if it failed. It has the worst AF that I have experienced in any lens.
My first copy of the 16-85 was like that. The one which just broke, bought from KEH, was much better, though it still " jumped" focus from time to time.
I think I'm going back to the old DA* 16-50/2.8 when I find one at the right price. If the SDM croaks, UncleVanya can convert it to screw drive.
07-28-2022, 09:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Mine was, for decentering.

10-03-2022, 04:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess my 16-85 WR is going to be a paperweight. Sad, all it needs is the aperture return/tension spring reinstalled. I have the spring. I purchased the lens from KEH in the spring of 2021 for $395 plus tax. After the $285 plus shipping estimate from Precision, and a no return call to messages left at two independent repair shops, I gave KEH a call. $325 plus shipping just to look at it. Not worth it. My next step may be to list it for sale, cheap, for someone with more nimble fingers than I to buy and repair.
A real shame, as the lens is still almost like new...
01-16-2023, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I contacted a couple of repair facilities suggested to me by forum members and they wanted the same $275-$325 range that Precision and KEH quoted. All the lens needed was its aperture spring put back into place!

After buying a used replacement 16-85, like new in box, from MBP for $354 with a six month warranty, I listed my broken 16-85 for sale on this forums Marketplace for $125 shipped. It sold in a day. The new owner fixed the lens the day he received it. All he had to do was remove the lens mount, replace the spring (I sent it with the lens), epoxy the ends to the spring tabs, and reassemble. The failure was caused when the factory glue on the spring tabs failed. So, my buyer got a $400 lens for $125 and an hour or so of delicate, fiddling. My question? WHY couldn't a repair place do this ? WHY are all repairs flat rated to the maximum coat where, for a lens available used for under $400, it made more financial sense for me to replace the lens than repair it?
By buying a used 16-85 for $354 and netting $104 on the sale of my broken one, I have $250 in a fully functional lens, saving $25 to $95 PLUS shipping both ways, another $40 or so.
10-10-2023, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
AGAIN -Second lens, same failure!

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I contacted a couple of repair facilities suggested to me by forum members and they wanted the same $275-$325 range that Precision and KEH quoted. All the lens needed was its aperture spring put back into place!

After buying a used replacement 16-85, like new in box, from MBP for $354 with a six month warranty, I listed my broken 16-85 for sale on this forums Marketplace for $125 shipped. It sold in a day. The new owner fixed the lens the day he received it. All he had to do was remove the lens mount, replace the spring (I sent it with the lens), epoxy the ends to the spring tabs, and reassemble. The failure was caused when the factory glue on the spring tabs failed. So, my buyer got a $400 lens for $125 and an hour or so of delicate, fiddling. My question? WHY couldn't a repair place do this ? WHY are all repairs flat rated to the maximum coat where, for a lens available used for under $400, it made more financial sense for me to replace the lens than repair it?
By buying a used 16-85 for $354 and netting $104 on the sale of my broken one, I have $250 in a fully functional lens, saving $25 to $95 PLUS shipping both ways, another $40 or so.
Well, the HD DA 16-85 WR has bit me in the posterior for a THIRD time. My first try of this lens was badly decentered and I sent it back. The second suffered the aperture spring issue detailed in the original post above.
Well, now the replacement lens I bought in January suffered the aperture spring detachment yesterday! Taking fall leaf photos in a hard to access (for me) location, and all of a sudden everything was overexposed. I checked my KP settings and then removed the lens. Yep, floppy, tension free aperture lever. I guess I will give up on the HD DA 16-85 WR. I would love to know how many others have experienced this same, stupid failure.
The Forums member who purchased my last broken lens fixed it. Apparently Ricoh decided to epoxy the spring ends to a pin instead of using a hooked attachment. When the epoxy pops off, the spring soon follows.

So, back to my backup, The DA* 16-50/2.8 Ugh.
10-13-2023, 03:21 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Well, the HD DA 16-85 WR has bit me in the posterior for a THIRD time. My first try of this lens was badly decentered and I sent it back. The second suffered the aperture spring issue detailed in the original post above.
Well, now the replacement lens I bought in January suffered the aperture spring detachment yesterday! Taking fall leaf photos in a hard to access (for me) location, and all of a sudden everything was overexposed. I checked my KP settings and then removed the lens. Yep, floppy, tension free aperture lever. I guess I will give up on the HD DA 16-85 WR. I would love to know how many others have experienced this same, stupid failure.
The Forums member who purchased my last broken lens fixed it. Apparently Ricoh decided to epoxy the spring ends to a pin instead of using a hooked attachment. When the epoxy pops off, the spring soon follows.

So, back to my backup, The DA* 16-50/2.8 Ugh.
This thread was interesting to me, not because I have a 16-85, but because of the way the spring detached. I had a similar problem with a used copy of the 18-135 that I had purchased. I took it apart and found there was no way to re-attach the spring. Trashed it and did not replace it.