Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

K1 diopter adjustment

Few weeks ago my 6 years old K1 suffered mode dial failure.
I have sent it to KEH camera repair, and they fixed it, but yesterday when I received camera back and check it, I couldn't adjust viewfinder to see displayed information clearly.
Usually I'm about 4 steps before max in CCW position on the dial, now even in max position picture is still off for me.
I have contacted KEH camera and they have sent me shipping label for returning the camera, I will probably send it after vacations.
But being quite upset about this I have loosen up the screw on the diopter adjustment knob and turn it, so now I have the correct focus being in the max position but in CW position, so it looks like the range of adjustment might be changed by initial viewfinder optics position, I would love to have it back to the original state, but I do not know if the current correct state is just accident, or this can be adjusted by moving the knob after making screw loose.
Since at this point focus is correct, I'm not going to touch it without knowing that it can be adjusted that way.

Does anyone know anything about this?

08-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the range of adjustment for the diopter is more than the reach of the knob. Interesting. If your diopter adjustment is now correct for your eyes, and the camera focusses correctly (which is an entirely different system) then it would seem you need not send it back. But, of course, if you want to be sure, then sending it back for checking may not be a bad idea.
08-18-2022, 02:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For disassembling the K3 and the K1's the diopter-wheel needs to be taken off, otherwise one wouldn't be able to lift the top and thus reach the mode-dial for repair.

As far as I can remember it is a simple adjustment as you did it but try to take the screw completly off and then adjust again.

If it doesn't work I would send it back because if your eyes get worse, you might not be able to adjust for your needs!
08-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
I was afraid that after taking the screw off completely, some spring inside might get loose, and fixing this will require taking camera apart.

08-18-2022, 11:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rycho62 Quote
I was afraid that after taking the screw off completely, some spring inside might get loose, and fixing this will require taking camera apart.
I have checked now with my K3:
There is no spring inside.
But no need to take the screw out completly, as soon as the screw is out a little bit you can turn the wheel to the position you want and tighten the screw again.

Just do it that often until you have the correct position.
08-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
photogem thank you for the information and suggestions.