Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2022, 07:26 AM   #1

Loose Hot Shoe

I have a loose hot shoe on my Spotmatic SPII. Do I need to remove the top to tighten this? I found a youtube video showing this for a Spotmatic. Is the SPII roughly the same?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 mini  Photo 
08-30-2022, 08:29 AM   #2

There is little difference between most of the Spotmatic models with flash shoes. However it looks to me that the sheet metal is damaged so it may take a lot more repair work than simply tightening down some screws.
08-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like it is broken? It is missing the back part of the black (plastic?) attachment. In order to tighten it you have to remove the metal sheet on top of the flash. that should give you access to the screws.
08-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
It looks like it is broken? It is missing the back part of the black (plastic?) attachment. In order to tighten it you have to remove the metal sheet on top of the flash. that should give you access to the screws.

You're right, it is missing that back piece of plastic. Since I rarely need to use a hot shoe, and have other cameras I can use if I need one, could I just remove this and cover the holes where the hot shoe was?

Edit to add: I was able to tighten down the screws and take out the wiggle. Would it cause problems to use it like this, missing the back piece?

Last edited by DavesDogma; 08-30-2022 at 08:51 AM.
08-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you should be ok!
08-31-2022, 07:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stick a small piece of duck tape over the hole so dirt won't get in.