Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #1

Pentax K110D will not see SD cards over 1Gb and will not fire.

I bought a used K110D, looks fine on the outside, but it will not see Sd cards 1Mb and above, it returns an SDcard error message, it recognizes a 250Mb card, but the shutter will not fire when the release button is pressed. It will release the shutter when the preview function on the main switch is used. This could be a firmware problem or a poor contact problem on the sd card port and the shutter release. The firmware is the 1.0 version. I will try upgrading the firmware, but if this does not work, I have no other recourse but to dump this body. I wanted to go back to the 6-megapixel club after buying a new K-S2 and later a used K20. Any comments or suggestions that can help will be greatly appreciated.

12-04-2022, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RebelCharlie Quote
I bought a used K110D, looks fine on the outside, but it will not see Sd cards 1Mb and above, it returns an SDcard error message, it recognizes a 250Mb card, but the shutter will not fire when the release button is pressed. It will release the shutter when the preview function on the main switch is used. This could be a firmware problem or a poor contact problem on the sd card port and the shutter release. The firmware is the 1.0 version. I will try upgrading the firmware, but if this does not work, I have no other recourse but to dump this body. I wanted to go back to the 6-megapixel club after buying a new K-S2 and later a used K20. Any comments or suggestions that can help will be greatly appreciated.
You need to buy a 1 or 2 GB SD card in order to upgrade the firmware. Same thing happend to me with a recently acquired K100D and had to order a card from Adorama which is the only place I trust besides B&H.
12-04-2022, 09:07 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Specifically you need to use an SD card to update the firmware, not any later variants like SDHC or SDXC. Uppdating the firmware will then allow the use of SDHC cards.
12-04-2022, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Pleeeeeeze make sure you have a fresh set of good quality batteries in the camera when you update the firmware. You can irrevocably 'brick' the camera if it cuts out while you're upgrading. This happened to me several years ago with an *ist-DL. The experience was so traumatizing that I did not attempt a firmware upgrade again for the next three years.

12-04-2022, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As mentioned the original firmware only worked with SD not SDHC (sd high capacity) which came in only sizes up to 2GB. The 1.01 & 1.02 firmware allows SDHC cards which go to 32GB. The SDXC standard allows for you to 2TB. https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/20060914e.html

SD Memory Card Choices with SD/SDA Logos | SD Association

HOWEVER… As mentioned by the previous poster you need a working card to do the firmware update. Be certain it is a plain sd card.

Something like this should work:
QUMOX 2GB 2048MB SD Memory Card for Camera Phone mp3 mp4 fm Transmitter amazon.com: QUMOX 2GB 2048MB SD Memory Card for Camera Phone mp3 mp4 fm Transmitter : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
12-04-2022, 05:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Pleeeeeeze make sure you have a fresh set of good quality batteries in the camera when you update the firmware. You can irrevocably 'brick' the camera if it cuts out while you're upgrading. This happened to me several years ago with an *ist-DL. The experience was so traumatizing that I did not attempt a firmware upgrade again for the next three years.
I bought a set of Lithium AA batteries for this attempt and a used CPU tower with Windows 7 to download the upgrade to perform this task My laptop doe not have an SD card reader slot. I cringe at the thought of upgrading firmware and so my K-S2 and K20d are still running the original firmware. In this case I am assuming there is a problem with the original firmware and hoping this might cure the problem. So far I am close to $130.00 trying to solve this problem on a $58.00 camera.
12-04-2022, 06:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a set of Lithium AA batteries for this attempt and a used CPU tower with Windows 7 to download the upgrade to perform this task My laptop doe not have an SD card reader slot. I cringe at the thought of upgrading firmware and so my K-S2 and K20d are still running the original firmware. In this case I am assuming there is a problem with the original firmware and hoping this might cure the problem. So far I am close to $130.00 trying to solve this problem on a $58.00 camera.
Don't be afraid of the process, I've been upgrading firmware for 12 years without issues. The SD card costs only 7 dollars https://www.adorama.com/tssd2g.html?

12-05-2022, 07:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems easier to buy an sd card reader with a usb port… and lithium batteries weren’t needed. Your cringe isn’t the cameras fault… lol. Firmware updates have worked for many of us for many years without an issue. The old days of bricking devices have become exceptionally rare.
03-16-2023, 08:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi all

From my reading of the firmware upgrade on this camera, it will not read SDXC cards, only SDHC which I belive top out at 32mb. I have a Pentax 10D and K2000, both have similiar restrictions.

Also, I have sucessfully upgraded the firmware on my cameras with an 16gb SDHC card.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/20060914e.html
04-19-2023, 01:55 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
Hi all

From my reading of the firmware upgrade on this camera, it will not read SDXC cards, only SDHC which I belive top out at 32mb. I have a Pentax 10D and K2000, both have similiar restrictions.
From memory: The K100D (after firmware upgrade) is limited to 16GB-cards, the K10D to 32GB-cards.
04-19-2023, 05:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sjak Quote
From memory: The K100D (after firmware upgrade) is limited to 16GB-cards, the K10D to 32GB-cards.
I can try to verify this later but sdhc is specified in the firmware and no caveat is listed. I would expect 32 GB sdhc works on the k100d.
04-19-2023, 05:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sjak Quote
I recently acquired one, and after the firmware upgrade the limit is 32GB.