Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anybody Know The Typical Length Of Precision Repairs?

My K-1 MkII has been at Precision Camera, to repair a faulty remote socket under warranty, for six weeks now. Their "Real Time" status has indicated "In Repair Process" for over a month. Is this typical?

12-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-70 "block" was there and back in a couple of weeks. Why not give them a call or email?
12-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Why not give them a call or email?
Their phone system appears to have no live people available to answer. I've left a voice message and sent an email. Awaiting a reply from either...
12-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to take a WAG (wild a$$ guess) here, that they are probably waiting on parts from Japan.

12-16-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Many threads about glacier paced service from Precision/Ricoh over the years.

Communication with Precision seems to be a big issue and them being able to get parts from Ricoh is another issue. Several people even had their gear sent back to Japan for repair because Precision either couldn’t fix the problem or get parts to fix it.
12-16-2022, 05:51 PM   #6

The Cameraville guy said in one of his videos you had to press "1" or "3" (I don't recall) and you can get a live person and up-to-date status that way.

If they are waiting for parts it can be six weeks or more.
12-19-2022, 09:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just got a notice from Precision stating the camera was being shipped today. So six weeks repair time is not unheard of, for those out there running out of patience, like I did.

Thanks for all the replies.

12-20-2022, 07:50 PM   #8
Closed Account

I just sent a camera in for repair via Allstates SquareTrade (I think it's called) warranty.
It is to be received by them on Wed., according to Fedex (Wed, December 21st, tomorrow).
I'll update everyone in the thread, I already have started, in this forum on my experience(s).

p.s. Their reviews at this website seem to be very good:
Precision Camera Reviews - 5 Reviews of Precision-camera.com | Sitejabber
12-28-2022, 10:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, my K1-II arrived back yesterday (12/27/2022). The issue was that cable remotes didn't work on it, and I sent with it a remote, that works with all my other cameras, but didn't work with the K-II, so they could verify the issue. They said they replaced the 'Sy Board', cleaned, calibrated, etc. and verified everything worked. In the process they even reset the shutter count, which may have been a result of replacing the board. Though they did return the remote, and it now works with the camera, they forgot to include the viewfinder hood which was on the camera when I sent it in. I've sent them an email asking about that. Communication is slow with Precision, so I expect to hear back in a day or so.
12-28-2022, 10:03 PM   #10
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
So, my K1-II arrived back yesterday (12/27/2022). The issue was that cable remotes didn't work on it, and I sent with it a remote, that works with all my other cameras, but didn't work with the K-II, so they could verify the issue. They said they replaced the 'Sy Board', cleaned, calibrated, etc. and verified everything worked. In the process they even reset the shutter count, which may have been a result of replacing the board. Though they did return the remote, and it now works with the camera, they forgot to include the viewfinder hood which was on the camera when I sent it in. I've sent them an email asking about that. Communication is slow with Precision, so I expect to hear back in a day or so.

Thanks for keeping us updated. So, it sounds like, overall you are pleased with the repair?
01-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Thanks for keeping us updated. So, it sounds like, overall you are pleased with the repair?
No reply from Precision yet on the missing viewfinder hood. I've sent them another request to get that back. So, overall, not so pleased...
01-11-2023, 07:08 PM   #12
Closed Account

Have you used their website to check on the status of your repair? They kept me updated throughout the process simply by me typing in my phone number on their website.

For my repair, total repair days, including weekends, was about 19 or 20 days.
01-11-2023, 11:02 PM   #13
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
No reply from Precision yet on the missing viewfinder hood. I've sent them another request to get that back. So, overall, not so pleased...
In addition to checking their website, I'm going to send you an email of a girl that communicated fairly promptly with me at Precision Camera.

She had them clean the dust out of my viewfinder, which wasn't apart of my warranty repair for my K-S2. She also confirmed that they had plenty of Pentax batteries and charges on hand (and would make sure a battery was kept in my K-S2 during it's stay at Precision)... She also checked and confirmed my hotshoe cover was on my camera when they got it, apologized & mailed one back to me (which was no big deal I told her since it's such a minor part that's easily replaceable).

Michael
01-12-2023, 09:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
In addition to checking their website, I'm going to send you an email of a girl that communicated fairly promptly with me at Precision Camera.

Michael
Thanks Michael. Yes, Trish is the one I'd been communicating with at Precision. It took 3 emails, perhaps because of the holidays, but I finally got notification from UPS last night that a second package from Precision was on its way to me. I'm assuming it's the viewfinder hood. I guess you're a better communicator than I.
01-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had to send my 150-450 in when it quit focusing a few years ago. Had to be set back to Japan. got it back with little communication, including no notice that it was being shipped back to me or a tracking # about 2 months later.